The Vibe of this Team feels different… to me at least

On 12/19/2023 at 9:31 PM, JTown said:

That would be very Billsy.

Seriously,  I think they will get into the Playoffs.  However,  I'm still trying to digest the inexplicable losses to the Jets, Patriots,  Broncos and Jags. (Let's no forget that they also tried to lose to the Giants however,  the officials gifted them a W).

I can live with the losses to the Eagles and Bengals but they could have easily won both of those games. 

It has become painfully obvious to me that they have long been expecting too much of Josh.  

I still do not trust McClappy particularly late in a close game, but I will say that he has better since he was put on blast.  His D against Dallas was as good as it gets.

It would be great to win the Division in the last game against the Dolphins and get a home playoff game. 

Bottom line is this team should not be in this position.   As much as it pains me to say,  Josh has his share of the blame in turnovers.  McDermott certainly has a lot as well with his awful late game management,  stupid timeouts, challenges, etc.  And of course Dorsey did this team no favors by forcing Josh into having to play Superman every week. 

Hopefully, we won't have any more Billsy games.

Imagine just how scary this team would be going into the Playoffs coming off a big win against Miami to take the Division. 

Bad things Man, bad things.

I can live with the jags loss more than the eagles loss. The jags was just bad scheduling by the NFL with the jags getting the extra week in London and us coming up flat first half. The eagles game we were the better team from the jump and the nfl tried their hardest to ensure this game stayed close with the craptastic refereeing and Bass and cook not coming through in key moments. 

Just one of those wins (Denver 12 man debacle, eagles “win”, Jets OT implosion, Patriots and Mac jones one good game a year) and we’re sitting pretty controlling our own destiny for the division and possibly still the 1 seed.

But thankfully this team has seen it all from 13 seconds (the year we were 100% the best team in the NFL and should’ve won it all), to a teammate dying on the field. We are battle tested and even though I cringe sometimes thinking about how McD may screw the next game up, I have hope in Josh and company to go on a giants like tear circa 2008 and win it all taking down the already crowned SF 49ers like they did with the almost undefeated patriots.

Feels great to have a QB who keeps us in the game no matter what the down, distance or score. Go bills 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I have Buffalo 30-1 to win SB and 14-1 to win AFC

I still have my $100 bet of Bills vs Lions SB for $5500

....Until they blow it to a very beatable Chargers team - then the 'Fire McDermott' chants will rise to a new level.  😜

I do agree. It feels different since Dorsey's dismissal.

Is it because Dorsey's offense was contributing to losses, the firing just a wake-up call to everyone, or is Brady that much better?

Are the defensive reserves who've taken the place of injured starters just finding their footing? Are player rallying around McDermott after the lambasting he received from that writer? Is it a combination of all these things?

For whatever reason, it does feel different.

If not for a few mishaps and an amazing 59 yard field goal in less than ideal conditions in the Eagles game, the Bills could be 4-0 since Brady took the reigns. Along the way, defeating the super bowl winner in their yard, playing solid against a defending conference champion (again, on their home turf), and beating the snot out of 'America's Team' -  a serious contender for to reach this year's super bowl.  

The litmus test will be if they can keep it going against inferior opponents. Do they only rise to the level of the teams they're facing? 

If they stumble against the Chargers, it will tell me it was all just an illusion. If they continue on the current path, they could be writing a great overcoming adversity, feel-good comeback story. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

51 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Go bills 

I still have my $100 bet of Bills vs Lions SB for $5500

Vegas was offering 35-1, but my local sports book offered 30-1.  Before KC I tried getting prop bet Josh MVP 9-1(Vegas) and Bills win AFC East 4-1(Vegas) but my book didn't offer.

I also took the Sabres 65-1 to win the cup

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:36 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

This week is a bigger test then most choose to see. Yes the Chargers are reeling with a fill in HC, fill in QB and nothing to really play for at this point. But sometimes these teams can present a challenge.

Last week, the Cowboys came in red hot, media darlings playing on the road against a team with a lesser record. Sounds.... familiar? and were humbled. I want to see Buffalo come out and keep that intense style of play against a team they are expected to beat. I believe They will, of course and end up winning comfortably. But they need to stay locked in and come out prepared are ready 

jesus…. The bills cowboys matchup does not sound familiar to the chargers firing their coach and putting their qb on IR while missing both their starting WR and their beat up RB looking like a shell of himself matchup… unless I missed diggs, Allen, Davis all out and cook hobbling around like he’s carrying a lineman on his back 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Once the Bills are in control of their own destiny my excitement will go through the roof because they are starting to turn it on at the right time. Until then I am trying to not get my hopes up.

If they win out, I would imagine they will make it. A lot of teams around the Bills in the playoff chase play each other so some will suffer losses. 

P.S. It could be worse. Could you imagine being a fan of the Detroit Pistons right now. They currently have a 25-game losing streak and counting.

IF they make it into the playoffs, I like their chances of advancing at least to the AFCCG, if not the Super Bowl.

I feel that the Bills, as they are currently constituted and at the level at which they are currently playing, can beat any team in the AFC. The Dolphins don't scare me. The Chiefs don't scare me. The Ravens don't scare me. The Bengals have been our biggest roadblocks lately, but they're Burrow-less and have a banged up Ja'Marr Chase.

Put simply, in my eyes, GETTING to the second season is where the challenge lies. I have faith in the Bills beating LA and NE, but Miami on the road will be no small challenge. Yes, I realize I just said they don't scare me. They don't. But beating them in a win-and-in game in their home stadium is still not going to be easy.

As others have said before, the most painful part of the Bills under-achieving for the first half of this season and putting themselves in this position is that this appears to be the easiest path to a Super Bowl (playoffs wise) that they will have yet had. An offensively under-manned Chiefs team, a Mark Andrews-less Ravens team, the Dolphins...if the Bills could have secured the one-seed this year, which they realistically could have done by simply beating the Broncos and, say, the Jets in week one, it'd be on like Donkey Kong. Instead they have to fight for their playoff lives the next three weeks.

Ah well. The past is the past. Onward and upward.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:00 PM, Bill Grundy said:

I've followed a lot of sports teams over the years. mostly soccer and rugby teams over here in the UK

And I honestly can't think of a team I've liked more than these Bills. For a start I like McDermott - I know most people don't, but I do. I think he's an impressive leader of men who understands culture. I like Bean too. I think they've identified what the team's needed and made some fantastic moves to make it happen. Be it a run game. An o line. A red zone offence that doesn't depend on trick plays. Picks like Bernard, Cook and Torrence. It might be that I don't understand the Xs and Os of the game well enough to fully see what drives so many people crazy. But I see a lot of good in our management. 

Then there's the players. Josh Allen is the most enigmatic and likeable sportsman I've perhaps ever seen. Milano. Dawkins. Oliver. Morse. Phillips. These are just great, great guys. The whole roster just seems to be filled with character and the right kind of attitude. It's a pleasure to be following them at the moment after years of, well, not this. 

It guts me that so much of this season was wasted with the wrong OC - by all accounts a decent enough man but infuriating from game one. And I feel the NFL cost us dearly by robbing a home game to pander to the league's international aspirations (scandalous, really). So  I am not very  optimistic that this is the year . But I really do think the year is coming - the year we win the big prize - if we keep in the same direction.

It feels like the side is growing and learning all the time. I know many will disagree. But I just hope we don't lose our nerve and find ourselves starting over, with a new HC, with a new culture and end up just spinning wheels. There's something special going on here. I hope it gets backed. 

This isn’t true. What you see here is the lynch mob that has to have a target. They are a vocal few. There have been polls here that show more people like what he’s doing here than don’t. They don’t bother with positive threads because the mob jumps their throats with snide, negative posts to the positive thread. Like there aren’t enough negative threads to join in on. 
More people like and want McD to stay. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess. Football is a crazy season with a lot of ebbs and flows. The vibes seemed terrible 3 weeks ago. Now you win a few games and things change quickly. 

it’s going to be sad for the people who want McDermott happy. Unless this team completely collapses, he will be back. This might be his best coaching job keeping this team together. 

maybe the 911 terrorist pep talk worked after all!!!

I trust the Bills "infrastructure" a lot more this season. The Bills going into the homestretch last season were really cracking under good results. The offense was Josh and Diggs making it happen with "Superman" like efforts. The offensive line was trash, the RB's were solid but not dynamic and the WR's/TE's not named Diggs were mediocre. The defense was playing well but showing some signs of cracking esp after the Von injury. The team was also overly dependent on Daquon to anchor the middle. 

This year the offensive line is sooooo much better, James Cook and the traditional ground game has come alive and the supporting receiving crew is significantly better. Josh and Diggs don't have to carry the offense. The defense is also in a better position. The addition of Douglas has filled in nicely for Tre and the addition of Joseph and the return of Jones most likely means the team has two guys who can stuff the run which is a massive deal given how badly this team missed Jones in the Bengals playoff game last year. The edge rush also appears to be coming alive with Von finally showing signs of life and Floyd/Groot/Shaq holding things down and AJE coming back hopefully soon. Ed Oliver also is capable now of taking over games. 

The team is just so much stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They are much better built for playoff football this season. 

On 12/19/2023 at 7:20 PM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Diggs said it best. “We’re Battle tested”

Last season  the  team ran out of gas. It was a pretty emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. 

Fast forward. Once again just as were finding our groove against Miami..Key Players  go down. Young players have to step in. A lot of rough games, trying to figure it out. Chances to win but ultimately finding ways to lose.

Beane makes a couple shrewd moves at the deadline.. effectively replacing Tre and Jones for the time being.  We cut ties with Dorsey. 

Brady has brought an energy to this team exactly when we needed it. Despite a tough loss at Phily, The Josh we have been looking for all season was unleashed..and back..

They brought their game to Kc and Dallas and I’m not even thinking 10-7. We are winning out and getting in the dance. Then look out. This team is coming together at the perfect time. They have come together as a team and playing some amazing complimentary football.

Save your best for December football..while many teams are sliding the other way, we are gaining steam.

The NFL has often been a league where peaking at the right time wins you a championship. In the Bills 90s run you could say that they peaked too early in the Raiders game in 1991 and underperformed vs the Giants in the SB.  If they can just get into the playoffs they can go on a run. Much lesser teams like the Raiders in 80, the Pats in 2001 and the Seahawks in 2014 hit their stride in the first couple of rounds and peaked in the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoMAn said:

....Until they blow it to a very beatable Chargers team - then the 'Fire McDermott' chants will rise to a new level.  😜

I do agree. It feels different since Dorsey's dismissal.

Is it because Dorsey's offense was contributing to losses, the firing just a wake-up call to everyone, or is Brady that much better?

Are the defensive reserves who've taken the place of injured starters just finding their footing? Are player rallying around McDermott after the lambasting he received from that writer? Is it a combination of all these things?

For whatever reason, it does feel different.

If not for a few mishaps and an amazing 59 yard field goal in less than ideal conditions in the Eagles game, the Bills could be 4-0 since Brady took the reigns. Along the way, defeating the super bowl winner in their yard, playing solid against a defending conference champion (again, on their home turf), and beating the snot out of 'America's Team' -  a serious contender for to reach this year's super bowl.  

The litmus test will be if they can keep it going against inferior opponents. Do they only rise to the level of the teams they're facing? 

If they stumble against the Chargers, it will tell me it was all just an illusion. If they continue on the current path, they could be writing a great overcoming adversity, feel-good comeback story. 

Go Bills!

I think we have an extremely lazy (entitled?) team that doesn’t start playing until they absolutely have to. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if we drop another game and make it more difficult to get in. 

This isn’t the first time we’ve stunk up the regular season and looked like a completely different team late. Is that McD’s fault? Yeah, I’d say so.  I think he’s extremely arrogant and holds things back until the playoffs.

My fear is that we might’ve blown our wad vs. Dallas.

Edited by Governor

McDermott’s ‘extremely arrogant’? 
He’s appears somewhat uncomfortable ‘on stage’  - when he has to address the media or large groups, but that’s just a personality trait. I’ve never seen anything from him to believe he’s arrogant. Anything but. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:40 PM, KingBoots8 said:

One week at a time.

…that being said, the Philly game felt like that Cards game a few years ago. They got a win they shouldn’t have, and all it did was make the team draw a line in the sand and *nobody* could cross it. If a certain game had a slightly different ending I think that we would have made (and won) the big one. 

The difference is this time we aren’t currently winning the division. There’s no sleepwalking to the playoffs, and with that it means everyone needs to execute. The only way we survive is to destroy whatever is in front of us. We look like that team with a chip on our shoulder. We look like we are finally clicking.

We look like we could be champions. All that’s left is to win and keep winning. 

One. Week. At. A. Time.

Exactly, take each week as it comes focus on just winning that one game and that's all that matters. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.