McD is crazy for wanting to establish the run and play complementary football

FireChans

3 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

On a day when you play a pass rush like this, then yea McD's run and play complimentary ball works. Brady is playing what works right now, I'll take it and not even care that Josh only had like 90+ air yards. 

Yeah, but he had those on just 7 completions...they were tearing up the passing game too, they just didn't need to throw.

Dak had something like 135 passing yards I believe...on 21 completions!

Josh Allen played really well, both in the plays he made and the plays he threw away. Cook's vision looks like it's starting to become consistently elite. He's flashed it before, but i can't wait to see the all 22 breakdown to see his vision and how he's setting up blocks... looks like it might have slowed down for him...I really liked the thought of ETN, but...they didn't even have to show off the playaction game off this yet either...

Someone on the Bills took the wind in the 2nd and 4th quarter. I'm hard-pressed to believe it was McDermott; has it ever happened before?

Also who was refraining from calling defensive Sooper Genius timeouts? It can't be McDermott, he can't help himself.

I don't know who's coaching the Bills since that one article, but I'm feeling a lot more copacetic about the gameday decisions since.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

To be fair, we won't win anything because his defenses have crapped the bed in every single game the Bills have been eliminated in in the playoffs in the JA era. Doesn't really have much to do with how the offense plays. Although this was a game that the weather and Dallas' league worst run defense dictated a heavy dose of the Bills run game.  Meanwhile, google how the Bengals defense has OVERPERFORMED their regular season performances every postseason. 

BUT I'll hold out hope still that the stars will align and the Bills win won with the current coach/QB duo. 

2019- outscored 19-0 in the second half including letting the Texans convert 2/2 on 2 point conversions. 

2020- give up 38 to the Chiefs

2021- give up 42 to the Chiefs

2022- give up 27 to the Bengals after letting them open the game with two straight TD's which basically has happened the last three times we've played the Bengals.

Frazier was the DC, not McD in those years.  

How about maybe enjoying the win and taking it one game at a time rather than wallow in the past even after a dominant win?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

To be fair, we won't win anything because his defenses have crapped the bed in every single game the Bills have been eliminated in in the playoffs in the JA era. Doesn't really have much to do with how the offense plays. Although this was a game that the weather and Dallas' league worst run defense dictated a heavy dose of the Bills run game.  Meanwhile, google how the Bengals defense has OVERPERFORMED their regular season performances every postseason. 

BUT I'll hold out hope still that the stars will align and the Bills win won with the current coach/QB duo. 

2019- outscored 19-0 in the second half including letting the Texans convert 2/2 on 2 point conversions. 

2020- give up 38 to the Chiefs

2021- give up 42 to the Chiefs

2022- give up 27 to the Bengals after letting them open the game with two straight TD's which basically has happened the last three times we've played the Bengals.

And in all but the 2021 game the offense crapped the bed in those games too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cook looking like the next Kamara. Just phenomenal performance and season

Unbelievable complementary game,  we blow out a team that has been super elite and 17 only throws for 90 something.  Amazing.  Held that explosive O to under 100 yards. 

This defense is really playing elite, I think Douglas being fully comfortable and the emergence of Dodson in Milanos role have been pivotal.  Playing our best at the right time. Eerily similar to 21 in terms of getting hot at right time. 

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

On the Cook TD run the commentators pointed out 6 guys in the box.  Why the hell wouldn't we run it?  Running it on them all game why the hell was Dallas only playing 6 in the box?  Either way maybe we finally learned if they give you a light box, take it, and run it down their throats.  Want to mention Johnson played well spelling Cook also.

The problem last year was even against a light box we couldn't run it because our guard play was pathetic. The two guards have been huge upgrades. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I know we are not going to be able to pound the ball this much every week, but I think the have found our formula for the rest of the year.

The thing was, it's not as if the Bills were doing something unguardable: they kept running the same run concept to the left. Normally, a D coordinator adjusts...and leaves openings for Allen to exploit. Quinn never did.

But this tells us something: we finally have an answer to the D-coordinator question of "Why don't we just play Cover 2 shell on Josh Allen?"

Go ahead. Empty the box. Cook ran for...7.2 ypc? Never mind the passing game.

we ran well because the Dallas D is built to specifically stop the pass.  The announcers talked about this all game, but what I love is our new OC recognized this and saw where the weaknesses were and attacked.  Hey, I love Josh throwing for 400 and 4+ TD's, but I am more than happy with 100 yards, 1 TD from him and us running for 200+ and 3 TD's.  JUST WIN!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Man, this dinosaur just doesn’t get it.

Trying to run the ball down a teams’ throat, sustaining long drives and keeping our defense fresh to attack an off-balance offense?

This is crazy. We need to run an offense like Dallas and throw almost every play, like genius offensive HC’s like McCarthy do.

This is why defensive coaches will never win anything. Stuck in the stone ages.

Of course, it’s not that simple! It’s not having the village eedgit at OC, who was a one trick, sideways pony with the finally unearthed OJ RB! And having the same OC, plus the HC realize there is nothing wise in abandoning that strategy until the opposition figures out how to stop it- which they never did.

The fact is, Defensive HCs don’t win the SB anymore- period!
I will never forgive 13 seconds McClappy, nor not roll my eyes at being unable to count to 12 during a TO! Never. Unless, the Bills win the SB and it better be this year. The window of opportunity is closing. 

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

we ran well because the Dallas D is built to specifically stop the pass.  The announcers talked about this all game, but what I love is our new OC recognized this and saw where the weaknesses were and attacked.  Hey, I love Josh throwing for 400 and 4+ TD's, but I am more than happy with 100 yards, 1 TD from him and us running for 200+ and 3 TD's.  JUST WIN!

Exactly. Even more than that, Dan Quinn never adjusted. I kept expecting for them to drop more into the box and shift over to take away the outside runs to the left and then open things up, but it never happened.

Attacking an opponent's deficiency is the single biggest difference I see between Brady and Dorsey. I highly doubt that up by 17, Dorsey would have had the stones to just keep mashing the run.

• Agree 1

I love seeing a game where we are able dominant running the ball,  end of the day this is passing league and we cannot go into our next two games against lesser teams thinking run first.  We need to use this game on tape showing we can run to set up the pass and get both Diggs and Kincaid the ball. Expect to see both Chargers and Pats having LB'S and safeties closer to the line.  That opens up the pass and we need to use passing to get up on these teams early. We lost games against lesser teams because we started games flat and allowed those teams to hang around and believe they could win. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.