Hail Marys

Yockopondowsk

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Youre also up against the refs here because they almost NEVER call a DPI penalty on a hail mary, and rightfully so imo.

Too easy to defend.

It's also the timing of the play. If you ran that in the middle of a ball game you sure as ***** best believe they'll call the rightful fouls and tell the team to knock that ***** off. 

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

It's also the timing of the play. If you ran that in the middle of a ball game you sure as ***** best believe they'll call the rightful fouls and tell the team to knock that ***** off. 

Maybe. But if you have a bunch of Receivers and DBs muddling around and all facing the ball and all jockeying for position, it gets tougher to call and you may even end up with OPI.

The play is called a Hail Mary for a reason. Not a great play to try to run unless you have nothing else left.

59 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

It still takes time for the ball to travel 50+ yards and there's a limited area that the defender has to be able to cover because of sidelines and endlines.  Defenders would have more than enough time to cover and turn and face the ball - this gives them the same right to the ball as the WR, which largely takes PI out of the equation.

It would have to be a timing play, the ball is thrown at the exact moment the WR starts his sprint... he'd have at least a step.. mostly likely 2 or 3 on tthe DB.

• Agree 1

I like the idea of running it a down early, before the defense has put in their tallest WR and TE to hang out in the end zone. 

then perhaps scheme some kind of pick play where everyone is on the left side of the field, and one wr runs off a pick and to the opposite side of the field 

• Agree 1

Or what about all the WRs sprint down field to the right corner of the end zone, Josh rolls to his right, and you throw it back to Cook who snuck out of the backfield late.  You hit him at the 30 or so, but as soon as our WRs see Josh wind up, they break for the opposite sideline, and block like it’s a punt return.

you could do the same thing by hitting your TE shorton the right side with a planned throw back to cook. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Eventually some OC will figure it out and it will change the game like the "tush push".

You can imagine it will involve some type of mis-direction, like OP mentioned...   load up one side of the end-zone and have 1 or 2 WR sprint to the other side as the ball is being thrown..... maybe go with 2 QBs on the field, 1 split out wide for a lateral to alter the throwing angle.     

Or intentionally throw it short of the end-zone to draw a PI as receivers are fighting through DBs to get back to the ball.

I still don't understand why more QBs don't intentionally throw go routes short to draw PI.   It's impossible for the DB, with his back turned, to stop on a dime and avoid contact while running full speed downfield.... like the Taron Johnson PI against Denver.   

IMO there needs to be a rule protecting the DB where it's not PI if the ball is thrown short and his momentum carries him into the WR. 

Agreed, it's probably the worst penalty in the league. It rewards poorly thrown balls. Hate that call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Eventually some OC will figure it out and it will change the game like the "tush push".

You can imagine it will involve some type of mis-direction, like OP mentioned...   load up one side of the end-zone and have 1 or 2 WR sprint to the other side as the ball is being thrown..... maybe go with 2 QBs on the field, 1 split out wide for a lateral to alter the throwing angle.     

Or intentionally throw it short of the end-zone to draw a PI as receivers are fighting through DBs to get back to the ball.

I still don't understand why more QBs don't intentionally throw go routes short to draw PI.   It's impossible for the DB, with his back turned, to stop on a dime and avoid contact while running full speed downfield.... like the Taron Johnson PI against Denver.   

IMO there needs to be a rule protecting the DB where it's not PI if the ball is thrown short and his momentum carries him into the WR. 

You have to turn your head around if you are on under coverage and they give you a lot of leeway with contact at that point.  This play doesn't really work in a hail mary situation as you have probably 3 players down field who are watching the WRs and the QB.  They aren't going to get PI on an underthrown ball because they can see the ball as soon as its thrown.  

4 hours ago, Yockopondowsk said:

How difficult should it be to scheme a Hail Mary pass, even just a little?  We are so used to seeing a group of 4 receivers or so, and defenders the same, engage in NBA-like jump-ball mayhem with a low % of success. How hard would it be to pull everyone to one side of the end zone, and at a preset time have a guy (Diggs or Shakir) sneak out the back door and haul butt to the other side of the end zone. With Allen’s arm?  Russell Wilson was doing this a bit with Seattle a couple of years ago.  He threw to a preset spot.  

I think I need to see this drawn in dirt to fully comprehend the plan.  😋

I tend to enjoy Hail Mary’s. One of the first three dates with my now wife she bought me a Molson, and we watched the Doug Flutie Hail Mary for BC. That was a while ago, and still a great memory. 

7 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6561736163c3d548b63f873d96c0a79d.jpegI present Tacko Fall. Standing at 7’5”. We bring him in on red zone plays and Hail Marys.  He can almost reach 11’ in the air.  Good chance to draw a PI as well. 

For one time use only, of course.   😋

• Like (+1) 1

If it's a "short" hail mary & you've got a QB w/ a good arm, it might be barely feasible.  Although the defenders are bunched, they're still spread out for maybe 8-10 yds, and they're not on the sideline, but rather more toward the middle of the field.  So even if you set up "in the corner", you've got at most 30 yds before other sideline.  I doubt any QB can throw more than 50 yds in < ~3 seconds.  Once that ball is airborne, a DB can run almost 30 yds in ~3 seconds.  If you can somehow time a receiver receiver surreptitiously break for the other sideline just as the QB is throwing, it might be viable.  But again, I think only for a "short" hail mary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.