Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

Allen is not going to trash McDermott publicly during the 2023 season.

Even though I have finally come to my senses about the HC, I'm glad the QB is avoiding the issue publicly. It's the classy, correct move. He might be stuck with the guy, at the very least through the rest of this season. They do still have a chance to do something special and get to 7-6, then 8-6, and so on. So no one should read into his lack of public commentary, yet. 

I think most Bills fans are similarly interpreting Diggs' stuff from last year's playoff game and from this year's start of TC, and now understanding Allen's silence to be a different way of handling the same concerns. And I commend Allen if that is in fact the case. Gotta leave the door open for this season to be salvaged one week at a time. Not even addressing the McD smoke is his best way to do that off the field, for now.

• Agree 1

This from a BN article by Katherine Fitzgerald and Jay Skurski:

"In interviews across the locker room, Bills players from veterans to rookies voiced their support of McDermott on Friday."

The pro-McDermott folks won't be surprised.  The anti-McDermott folks will find reasons to be skeptical.  ('Well, of course, they're going to publicly support their coach.  They don't want to end up in his doghouse').  

I'm not sure why Dunne is a better source than Fitzgerald and Skurski - or Micah Hyde for that matter.  

I remember when many on this website were prematurely condemning Matt Araiza.  

In the face of conflicting information, I tend to reserve judgment.  

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not sure why Dunne is a better source than Fitzgerald and Skurski - or Micah Hyde for that matter.  

He isn't necessarily a better source.  I would of preferred hearing some actual quotes though and not a general statement like that.  General statements don't move my needle.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It's more like a small book.  ... about 80 pages.  Very well written.  

Well worth the $8.  Pay, download, cancel.  🙂

Yeah.  I finally caved.  It was a good read.  Well written.  Dunne made it crystal clear that he thinks McDermott should be fired which I appreciate since you can then read it as a well sourced opinion piece.  No real surprises but he makes the best case on why this team should move on from McDermott than anything I've read or heard previously.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, who will face McDermott on Sunday, also was McDermott’s boss for a decade: McDermott was an Eagles assistant for 10 years while Reid was the Eagles’ head coach. Reid was asked if he reached out to McDermott this week, and said he did not, but he said he unequivocally supports McDermott.

“None of us talk during the week. That’s just how it goes. We’re all so busy doing our thing. I can just tell you Sean McDermott is a heck of a human being. That’s what I do know,” Reid said.

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats a fair point.  Is that all you took from that?

I would counter that Daboll did a lot more than just scream at Allen and they have a very good relationship.  Is there anything out there showing McD and Josh have a good relationship?  I've never seen them hug or barely ever see them communicate whatsoever tbh.

We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.  Several players now have come out defending their coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.  Several players now have come out defending their coach.

Saying good things about the coach does not mean the other things said about him were false.  The thing that people keyed in on and talked all over the internet was already admitted.  Nothing else in the article was talked about.  I have no reason to believe any of the things said in the article, other than the injection of Dunnes opinion, are untrue.  If you don't believe the things in the article then you are just basically saying Dunne is lying and flat out made up the comments and sources or the sources are flat out lying. 

24 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Saying good things about the coach does not mean the other things said about him were false.  The thing that people keyed in on and talked all over the internet was already admitted.  Nothing else in the article was talked about.  I have no reason to believe any of the things said in the article, other than the injection of Dunnes opinion, are untrue.  If you don't believe the things in the article then you are just basically saying Dunne is lying and flat out made up the comments and sources or the sources are flat out lying. 

I do think Dunne has issues with the Bills organization.  As for McD, if he’s lost the locker room then a change would be in the best interest of all concerned.  The remainder of this season will be telling.  If we fold and lose the majority if not all the games then he needs to go.  If they mount a charge and get to the playoffs then no.

I am tired of reading certain things.  I am tired reading about him being narcissistic or other negatives.  Many people in leadership positions are highly driven and highly egocentric; that kind of trait helps push one to the top.  I’m also tired of reading about how we’re wasting Josh’s prime years.  He has a good 10-12 years left especially if he gets smarter with his runs.

My gut is McD will be out at the conclusion of this season.  But then comes the hardest things is sports, identifying a guy who will be a successful HC.  There is no way to do so until you put a guy in place and see if he has what it takes.  My fear is we all assume the grass will be greener with a change.  But history and experience in life tell us many times the grass becomes more brown. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I do think Dunne has issues with the Bills organization.  As for McD, if he’s lost the locker room then a change would be in the best interest of all concerned.  The remainder of this season will be telling.  If we fold and lose the majority if not all the games then he needs to go.  If they mount a charge and get to the playoffs then no.

I am tired of reading certain things.  I am tired reading about him being narcissistic or other negatives.  Many people in leadership positions are highly driven and highly egocentric; that kind of trait helps push one to the top.  I’m also tired of reading about how we’re wasting Josh’s prime years.  He has a good 10-12 years left especially if he gets smarter with his runs.

My gut is McD will be out at the conclusion of this season.  But then comes the hardest things is sports, identifying a guy who will be a successful HC.  There is no way to do so until you put a guy in place and see if he has what it takes.  My fear is we all assume the grass will be greener with a change.  But history and experience in life tell us many times the grass becomes more brown. 

I don't think McD has lost the locker room at all. If he had then this team wouldn't still be playing their asses off.  I also think he is a good coach.  I just don't think he is good enough.  I didn't buy into everything Dunne was selling on his personal opinion but I did share some of it and I believe a lot of the quoted comments as they line up with how I felt this team looks and it's results.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't think McD has lost the locker room at all. If he had then this team wouldn't still be playing their asses off.  I also think he is a good coach.  I just don't think he is good enough.  I didn't buy into everything Dunne was selling on his personal opinion but I did share some of it and I believe a lot of the quoted comments as they line up with how I felt this team looks and it's results.

He may have gone as far as he can with this team.  I’m just fearful the replacement would be worse.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He may have gone as far as he can with this team.  I’m just fearful the replacement would be worse.

I think we are fine as along as we have Josh Allen.  Who knows.  Maybe the Bills make a run here.  It's still possible.  They have the talent.

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He isn't necessarily a better source.  I would have preferred hearing some actual quotes though and not a general statement like that.  General statements don't move my needle.

Anonymous sources don’t move mine. Especially when the author had preexisting beef with the the target of the article

Edited by NewEra
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Allen is not going to trash McDermott publicly during the 2023 season.

Even though I have finally come to my senses about the HC, I'm glad the QB is avoiding the issue publicly. It's the classy, correct move. He might be stuck with the guy, at the very least through the rest of this season. They do still have a chance to do something special and get to 7-6, then 8-6, and so on. So no one should read into his lack of public commentary, yet. 

I think most Bills fans are similarly interpreting Diggs' stuff from last year's playoff game and from this year's start of TC, and now understanding Allen's silence to be a different way of handling the same concerns. And I commend Allen if that is in fact the case. Gotta leave the door open for this season to be salvaged one week at a time. Not even addressing the McD smoke is his best way to do that off the field, for now.

I pretty much agree with all of your post and think you're right about Diggs, we are starting to see exactly why hes been upset.  The only thing I disagree with is that I don't commend allen at all for handling it quietly.  Allen is like Patrick mahommes or Lebron james, he is one of the biggest superstars in sports, he can pretty much demand any personnel change . If he was vocal like Diggs we could have had a different coach to start this season and then maybe we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

So evidently in the 13-second game, McDermott a) seized the play calling; b) called the soft defense that lost the game; d) refused to take responsibility; and 3) implicitly blamed the players and other coaches. Wow. 

And this insecure, uptight man, far more scared of losing than intent on winning, is the head coach of a generational Bills team. 

Do we prefer losing out and ridding ourselves of this man or winning out and being saddled with him forever? How about a compromise: The players approach him with a bargain: We won't turn on you, but you take a back seat on this team. Go along for the ride or get out. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.