Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

Just now, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

My conspiracy theory : Pegula wants McDermott gone, but he knows firing a coach who's made 4 straight playoffs is a dangerous idea. This gives him the ability to do it without being second guessed by some in the media. Tyler Dunne is fed all of the juicy stories and the rest is history. Buffalo will instantly become the top head coaching position. 

THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-finalizing-massive-contract-offer-for-jim-harbaugh-amid-potential-nfl-interest-per-reports/

There's no way that this happens, but if it did, it would be absolutely hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

My conspiracy theory : Pegula wants McDermott gone, but he knows firing a coach who's made 4 straight playoffs is a dangerous idea. This gives him the ability to do it without being second guessed by some in the media. Tyler Dunne is fed all of the juicy stories and the rest is history. Buffalo will instantly become the top head coaching position. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-finalizing-massive-contract-offer-for-jim-harbaugh-amid-potential-nfl-interest-per-reports/

We're not that smart, or lucky

1 minute ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

That Michigan is throwing the sink at Jim because they know he's sick of the NCAA and he beats the Ohio team? I could have told you this a few weeks ago. Not news. 

Edited by Mikie2times

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's an interesting question.  I listened to Dunne on the Schopp and Bulldog show this afternoon and it sounded very targeted (I won't say biased but that's probably the closest word).

He said all the people quoted had positive comments about Sean but even more positive about Beane and even said that Beane probably put out more fires than most people know about because of Sean.

Made references to Allen being the best thing since sliced bread and Sean was always going to hold him back. (paraphrasing).

I honestly do think that the digging and info that came out wasn't true and all happened but at the same time, I also believe that Dunne has an axe to grind with McD since he doesn't give "new media" media credentials.

My tinfoil hat theory is it wasn't meant to be targeted at McDermott but was meant to target legacy Buffalo media that reported last week Sean is 100% safe. Would explain some of the criticism from his peers. They know it's personal against them.

4 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Well, it’s not like the organization wasn’t contacted numerous times to refute the claims. That’s how this works. They knew these stories were dropping at some point. They either shrugged it off, or like you said….lol

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1

Just now, CaliBills said:

I hate when people put out an article 4 F'ing years after it happened....

It is a personal vendetta against McD.

I could care less about this.  

I simply cannot "not care" about this.

It is such a colossally stupid thing to say. I've said stupid things. I try to be understanding about it. But my god.

And a week after the Von story broke, the Bills are AGAIN the subject of negative conversation, and ridicule. 

It's too much.  How am I supposed to be proud of this right now?  I hate being so melodramatic, but I'm punch drunk at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

In case anyone still had any doubts about who was calling the defense at the end of the 13 second game against the Chiefs:

That night, of course, the Bills defense also surrendered 19- and 25-yard completions to set up the game-tying field goal. One defensive starter is still pissed McDermott didn’t instruct DBs to press the Chiefs’ receivers on those two completions (“Get in front of their face,” he laments, “and challenge them!”) He’s currently loving life on a new team, but admits these two plays still serve as a 3 a.m. nightmare. Before each play, McDermott called a timeout to set the defense. That “Kodak” logic again.

He is clearly communicating into his headset as 71 seconds of real time pass before one completion and 110 seconds the next. At best, he signed off on the lax coverage. At worst, what three team sources told Go Long is true: McDermott flat-out seized playcalling from [then-defensive coordinator] Frazier those final two plays. Once [Tyreek] Hill took a quick-hitter 19 yards — to the KC 44-yard line — one coach on that staff believes McDermott’s thinking changed. “Now,” he said, “he’s worried about losing. In his mind, overtime is OK.” So, the Bills lined up in another prevent coverage. One safety was 31 yards off the ball; the other 26. Cornerback Levi Wallace was instructed to line up with outside leverage, vs. Travis Kelce, and the tight end accepted this free release to get KC in field-goal range.

Said one coach: “Imagine not being the playcaller all year long and then at a critical moment, ‘Hey, let me take the wheel.’”

"The strangest stories from Ty Dunne's blockbuster story on Sean McDermott"

Edited by Peter
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He's just not that impressive. Bleacher Report was a crowd-sourced website and a joke for years.  He worked at the Buffalo News and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

You’re purposefully ignoring his mentions on ESPN, NY Times, Sports Illustrated, Yahoo, PFT, Adam Schefter, etc. 

Also ignoring his 1 on 1 interviews with dozens upon dozens of current and former NFL players. In the last two months alone, he has been with Kurt Warner, Orlando Brown Jr, Wyatt Teller, and KJ Osborn.

Where do you think he got these sources? Why do you think they trust him?

PS, Here is the NFL editor for USA Today talking about how good Dunne is:

If you want to pretend that he isnt widely respected, that’s fine. It just makes you wrong.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

It better be Harbaugh. There's no reason why it can't be.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I hate when people put out an article 4 F'ing years after it happened....

It is a personal vendetta against McD.

I could care less about this.  

exactly,  i care more about his strategy late in games then a bunch of he said she said stuff 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

McDermott to the team:

”They are coming after me like I called for the genocide of Jews at Harvard!  Amirite?  Guys…….?”

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Just now, billybob71 said:

exactly,  i care more about his strategy late in games then a bunch of he said she said stuff 

Funny enough it's been a downward spiral for the past 4 years.

Edited by OZBILLS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.