Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

Just now, Big Blitz said:

It’s not so much the 13 seconds with me (ok maybe that’s the main thing) but it was the absolutely bizarre “cover up” to what transpired.  

You couldn’t even ask Bass what he was told to do.  

No one owned it.  Sure McD tap danced around it weeks later but no he really didn’t take accountability for it instead left everyone asking still wth happened.  

Leslie Frazier is another situation. Totally bizarre, no real answer as to what happened.

It's a pattern. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Well, apparently some did for this article. 

Also, honeymoon period. Things were newer and going better, and maybe the players at the time just said WTF? to themselves and mocked him behind his back but chalked it up to him being an awkward weirdo who meant well. That's basically what the Dunn article says. 

Regardless of the motivation behind revealing it, if he said it, he said it. 

I don’t know man. These crazy ass allegations are wild and not a single player has ever even alluded to it in the past. 

Good news is with this article coming out, if it’s BS the Bills players will come out in force since it’s a pretty bad article for the organization. 

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Josh would give you credit for his development if you were a coach of the Bills. He's essentially all inclusive in his praise. It's who he is as a person. 

Well, this is part of the problem...   on both sides of the argument.

When facts support our point of view, we're all over them.

When facts disagree with our view, we find ways to discount them.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we all can see how tense he looks on the sidelines.  He doesn't seem comfortable or even happy.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up not making the playoffs, that McDermott steps down.  He won't be done with coaching, I'm sure he would get picked up by another team, but he would need a change of scenery.  He cannot be that oblivious the tone in the locker room has changed.

I agree that they have tuned him out.  

Zero chance of that.  He just signed an extension and would be walking away from as much as $20 million...If McDermott's not fired, he'll be back.  Guaranteed. 

Edited by mannc

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Some of this stuff every team goes through, but you only find out about it if you live in town and/or closely follow the team. 

I gotta tell you - I hear about some of the stuff that happens around here and I wonder how these guys could be so stupid and irresponsible.  I’m sure it goes on everywhere, but for whatever reason I feel like there’s been an extra layer of dumb over there lately.   In an odd way, it makes me respect McD a bit more—it has to be hard to capture the attention of a bunch of rich kids, many of whom are not exactly the type of person you’d want to do your taxes, day in and day out for years. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

From the recent BN story about Frazier, LF seems to still have a tight relationship with McDermott, and it seemed genuine from the piece. 

I read it as Leslie’s still on the payroll and Bills PR used him to plant the story.  Maybe I’m wrong, but that was my impression. 

5 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Not gonna lie, it would be hilarious if McDermott gets fired for his 9/11 speech.

The odd thing is that he's not wrong! It's genuinely amazing what they pulled off (through teamwork and careful, deliberate planning, TBH), although it was of course diabolical. What the Japanese pulled off between December 1941 and April 1942 was amazing too given the geographical scope and geopolitical complexity, but again the goals were bad. I guess the lesson is to never bring up well-conceived plans that succeed beyond all ambition if they're crafted by the bad guys. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I'm trying to come up with the 25 sources. Here's what i've got:

1. Daboll
  2. Chad Hall
  3. Heath Farwell
  4. Jon Feliciano
  5. Quinton Spain
  6. Cole Beasley
  7. Devin Singletary
  8. Leslie Frasier
  9. John Brown
  10. Bobby Johnson
  11. Lil' Dirty
  12. Zach Moss
  13. Ken Dorsey
  14. Cody Ford
  15. Bobby Hart
  16. Levi Wallace

17. Boogie Basham

18. Roger Saffold

19. Duke Williams

20. Duke Johnson (signed and never got a shot off the PS)

21. Star

22. Vernon Butler

23. Mario Addison

24. Jerry Hughes

25. Matt Breida

That seems like a good guess. But some of the players might go back a bit further. How about some of the less stinging stuff coming from a guy like Kyle Williams? Maybe Edmonds?

Edited by Low Positive

I'm not surprised about the "culture" stuff and blaming people and lack of accountability. We've all either said it before or heard it anyway. 

I AM a bit shocked at the notion of McDermott as a bumbling clown, players trying not to laugh while he speaks. 

I was under the impression that he had that messaging part down, and was just difficult to work with or something and froze in big moments. I didn't imagine once that he would be standing up there blabbering about 9/11 or the woman who downed in the river by  Niagara Falls while they players were like "at least he means well" like he's grandpa who didn't take his meds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Zero chance of that.  He just signed an extension and would be walking away from as much as $20 million...If McDermott's not fired, he'll be back.  Guaranteed. 

More than likely, you're right.  I was just stating that if it does happen, I won't be surprised.  I was surprised when Mularkey stepped down but I won't be if McDermott does.

He would be walking away from $20 million but he will get a job somewhere else.  

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Here’s an outside of the box idea.  McD is nothing if not detail oriented.  A good human, from all accounts, too.  And trusted by the Pegulas.  He’s be the perfect type of guy to be say, team president, and make sure that stuff like this new stadium thing gets done right when Terry’s out of town.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

More than likely, you're right.  I was just stating that if it does happen, I won't be surprised.  I was surprised when Mularkey stepped down but I won't be if McDermott does.

He would be walking away from $20 million but he will get a job somewhere else.  

Mularkey left in significant part because his kids were treated like crap at school because of their dad.  Not cool. 

This article just describes something we basically knew instinctively. That McDermott is a rigid, fearful, tense, micromanager who is making his team miserable and costing them losts of wins with his mental mistakes late in games.

And the assistant coaches and players feel it. 

Remember McDermott's handshake with Daboll at the end of the Giants game--maybe the frostiest handshake I've ever seen between NFL coaches--and then Josh Allen's super warm interaction with Daboll right after?

Tells you the same thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The odd thing is that he's not wrong! It's genuinely amazing what they pulled off (through teamwork and careful, deliberate planning, TBH), although it was of course diabolical. What the Japanese pulled off between December 1941 and April 1942 was amazing too given the geographical scope and geopolitical complexity, but again the goals were bad. I guess the lesson is to never bring up well-conceived plans that succeed beyond all ambition if they're crafted by the bad guys. 

There are plenty of examples that he could have used that would have been better.  Especially since it's not an enemy.

For instance, the SEAL Team 6 who had their helicopter crash at Bin Laden's compound.  They didn't miss a beat, infiltrated, accomplished their goal and then went home.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ray Stonada said:

This article just describes something we basically knew instinctively. That McDermott is a rigid, fearful, tense, micromanager who is making his team miserable and costing them losts of wins with his mental mistakes late in games.

And the assistant coaches and players feel it. 

Remember McDermott's handshake with Daboll at the end of the Giants game--maybe the frostiest handshake I've ever seen between NFL coaches--and then Josh Allen's super warm interaction with Daboll right after?

Tells you the same thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.