RIP Henry Kissinger, age 100

Wacka

this is random as **** but absolutely truth. In 1976 I was a foreign exchange student in Oruro Bolivia. For whatever reason Mr Kissinger made an appearance there in the plaza central. So I went to see him. The secret service members were swearing like sailors. There was zero crowd control the locals were swarming his armored car like crazy

I was standing back just taking it all in.I stood out there being blonde in a country mostly inhabited with dark haired people. Anyway Im standing there and someone came from behind me and goosed me as hard as you can imagine. WTF I turned around and couldn't see who had did it.

i surmised that someone there did Not approve of either Kissinger OR any other gringo Americaanos  either. 

RIP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

my cousin was his wife's secret service agent.  Met her at his funeral in Lewiston  (Cancer, 30's).  Super nice.  Cried a lot.  That said he did bad things to Chile.  They despise him.  He was all for uS at 3rd world expense but exceedingly brilliant and did much for our country.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

6 hours ago, boater said:

People are celebrating his passing. The world is full of sick people.

100 years was a good run. RIP.

He's a war criminal responsible for possibly more catastrophe and misery than any other American figure.  I didn't celebrate only because it didn't feel like a victory, dude lived a long time and never was held accountable.

Anthony Bourdain probably said it best...

Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:23 PM, muppy said:

this is random as **** but absolutely truth. In 1976 I was a foreign exchange student in Oruro Bolivia. For whatever reason Mr Kissinger made an appearance there in the plaza central. So I went to see him. The secret service members were swearing like sailors. There was zero crowd control the locals were swarming his armored car like crazy

I was standing back just taking it all in.I stood out there being blonde in a country mostly inhabited with dark haired people. Anyway Im standing there and someone came from behind me and goosed me as hard as you can imagine. WTF I turned around and couldn't see who had did it.

i surmised that someone there did Not approve of either Kissinger OR any other gringo Americaanos  either. 

RIP

Which foreign exchange cartel were you with, Muppalita? 

Ps: Remember I don’t know nothing and have never seen your face. 

I do not like to speak ill of the dead. 

I also do not shed a single tear when war criminals -- responsible for millions of human deaths and countless amounts of human suffering -- die, especially at age 100.

So long, Henry. I hope that the fate which befalls you in the great hereafter is one perfectly befitting of a person who lived the life you lived.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Which foreign exchange cartel were you with, Muppalita? 

Ps: Remember I don’t know nothing and have never seen your face. 

ROTARY International. It was one of the best experiences of my life

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

“Rotary”?  🤫

I think Rotarians go to the INTERNATIONAL House of Pancakes two towns over for that sort of exposure.  But Bolivia?  

You aren't EVEN calling out the Club Rotary Intl are you amigo 🤨

lmao such a Brat. **raspberries*** DUCK....TOO LATE take your lump Leo

splat.jpeg

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

“Rotary”?  🤫

I think Rotarians go to the INTERNATIONAL House of Pancakes two towns over for that sort of exposure.  But Bolivia?  

You could say they get around.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

“Rotary”?  🤫

Bill Gates matches Rotary giving for polio eradication dollar for dollar internationally...billions, so there's that.  heck out the balance sheet and giving of the Rotary foundation which funds international projects such as ambulances to Ukraine - last 3 mos on avg...

https://www.rotary.org/en/our-causes/ending-polio

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebug said:

They made a solid phone for sure.....

How many people will this just whiz by?

@Muppy I was in Rotary for years, admittedly mostly for business connections. I don’t feel bad as that was true of almost everyone. I look back on the things we did  and the experiences we had and I forgive the hokey-ness. I not only enjoyed having my young boys present while ringing Salvation Army bells outside the grocery store, but revenue went WAY up with cute kids, and they learned a little something. We did a Tree of Giving fundraiser one Christmas and the kids came with us after hours to a Sears (when they like, had stuff). We had needy families there expecting to get toys and things for the kids. Instead they asked “can we get diapers?”  Even my young kids were like “Dad, they don’t have anything.”  I think that is a life lesson as well as a kind deed. 

As for Kissinger, what a ride! I don’t know if he was a good guy or, as some suggest, the devil. I’m just not familiar with the details, but what a life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, boyst said:

This is a weird ass thread. Y'all f'd in the head giving a ***** about this dude that he's dead. 

What if he killed your family, would you care?

It's estimated that the dude was responsible for the deaths of about 3.5 million people.

If you remember him, maybe we can not repeat having people in power like this.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What if he killed your family, would you care?

It's estimated that the dude was responsible for the deaths of about 3.5 million people.

If you remember him, maybe we can not repeat having people in power like this.

Ifs and buts and chocolate nuts

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

10 hours ago, Augie said:

How many people will this just whiz by?

@Muppy I was in Rotary for years, admittedly mostly for business connections. I don’t feel bad as that was true of almost everyone. I look back on the things we did  and the experiences we had and I forgive the hokey-ness. I not only enjoyed having my young boys present while ringing Salvation Army bells outside the grocery store, but revenue went WAY up with cute kids, and they learned a little something. We did a Tree of Giving fundraiser one Christmas and the kids came with us after hours to a Sears (when they like, had stuff). We had needy families there expecting to get toys and things for the kids. Instead they asked “can we get diapers?”  Even my young kids were like “Dad, they don’t have anything.”  I think that is a life lesson as well as a kind deed. 

As for Kissinger, what a ride! I don’t know if he was a good guy or, as some suggest, the devil. I’m just not familiar with the details, but what a life. 

Did your kids join a club?  My experience was just the opposite:  I was a member when working but didn't have time and didn't need more patients.  At several times my "biz" was closed to new patients.  Now retired, I do much more with Rotary including being last years club  prez.  We gave good gifts to kids in need in the area last year thru a wine and cheese tasting fundraiser.  Made about $10k.  This year hoping it becomes "THE" community event to attnd and double that number....not bad for a club that almost folded during covid.

8 hours ago, boyst said:

This is a weird ass thread. Y'all f'd in the head giving a ***** about this dude that he's dead. 

those who fail to remember history r doomed to repeat it......

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Did your kids join a club?  My experience was just the opposite:  I was a member when working but didn't have time and didn't need more patients.  At several times my "biz" was closed to new patients.  Now retired, I do much more with Rotary including being last years club  prez.  We gave good gifts to kids in need in the area last year thru a wine and cheese tasting fundraiser.  Made about $10k.  This year hoping it becomes "THE" community event to attnd and double that number....not bad for a club that almost folded during covid.

those who fail to remember history r doomed to repeat it......

those who think history is much different with any politician is a fool.

i know what he did and it pales in comparison to things that still happen on a regular basis around this country and world on a political stage.

to dscuss this further makes it political.

• Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, boyst said:

Go look at South Africa and the weekly genocide there. Asia, same. This stuff is going on 24/7.

It's just different. 

Still, besides Tom Brady, never speak I'll of the dead.

Last two decades in a certain country w/a wall 🧱 too... The only thing is they are outpacing the genocide ****-ing like rabbits 🐇... Well until 2 months ago. 😏 

27 minutes ago, boyst said:

Go look at South Africa and the weekly genocide there. Asia, same. This stuff is going on 24/7.

It's just different. 

What are you talking about?

What's happening now is completely different from what Kissinger was responsible for.  (Well, maybe the genocide in Gaza would be included.)

Also... what a stupid saying, "Never speak ill of the dead."

Yeah, let's just whitewash history.  That's a healthy approach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, boyst said:

It's just different. 

I bolded the part where you said "in this country".

There is nothing going on in this country that even comes CLOSE.

3.5 million is a lot of people. Kissinger was an all-timer when it comes to mass murder and genocide. He wasn't Hitler or Mao Zedong, but he's absolutely on the all time "caused an unfathomable amount of human deaths" list. And that's not me speaking ill of the dead, it's me simply stating a verifiable fact.

Anyway...acknowledging the complex and infamous nature of such a man's legacy, and even stating that one lacks regret for the death of such a man (particularly at age 100), both seem like fair game to me. YMMV. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

What are you talking about?

What's happening now is completely different from what Kissinger was responsible for.  (Well, maybe the genocide in Gaza would be included.)

Also... what a stupid saying, "Never speak ill of the dead."

Yeah, let's just whitewash history.  That's a healthy approach.

Genocide in many regions. I'm not going to do your homework for you. 

59 minutes ago, Logic said:

I bolded the part where you said "in this country".

There is nothing going on in this country that even comes CLOSE.

3.5 million is a lot of people. Kissinger was an all-timer when it comes to mass murder and genocide. He wasn't Hitler or Mao Zedong, but he's absolutely on the all time "caused an unfathomable amount of human deaths" list. And that's not me speaking ill of the dead, it's me simply stating a verifiable fact.

Anyway...acknowledging the complex and infamous nature of such a man's legacy, and even stating that one lacks regret for the death of such a man (particularly at age 100), both seem like fair game to me. YMMV. 

You Godwin'd. You lose. You are awarded no points 

No idea what YMMV means, I'm not a zoomer. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.