Addressing the "Josh Allen is TO machine" narrative

FireChans

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Your data in the OP is accurate. I have no problems with that.

Your conclusion was wrong. Like blatantly wrong. 

I don’t think so. 

Allen is pretty much has the worst TD/TO ratio of the really good QB’s from that list. Worse than guys we are pretty confident he is better then. 

And the only way to have a turn over ratio lower than a guy like Dak, when you score a lot more touchdowns is to also have a lot more TO’s.

Hence, the conclusion. 

Honestly you need to chill bro. You won't survive the Josh Allen era at this rate. He's only maybe halfway through his career. 

That’s kinda the problem. Halfway through his career and we haven’t sniffed an SB.

It felt like an inevitability 2 years ago. It no longer does.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think so. 

Allen is pretty much has the worst TD/TO ratio of the really good QB’s from that list. Worse than guys we are pretty confident he is better then. 

And the only way to have a turn over ratio lower than a guy like Dak, when you score a lot more touchdowns is to also have a lot more TO’s.

Hence, the conclusion. 

That’s kinda the problem. Halfway through his career and we haven’t sniffed an SB.

First of all, they went to the AFCCG in 2020. That is as close to getting(sniffing) to a SB as you can get, the following year they were 13 seconds away from sniffing their 2nd AFCCG in a row, and you know damn well what happened. It's a team effort and I am sure you know this. You are just a hater. Probably the biggest one on this forum. 

Bills fans have become incredibly spoiled if their biggest problem in this day and age, only making the playoffs is a disaster, especially for a team that went 17 years without doing so. Acting like going to the SB is some super easy thing to do when in reality it is not. If it was as easy as people make it out to be, all the teams in the NFL would have made an appearance. We may never go to one, but it's not going to take away from Josh and how he was as a player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

First of all, they went to the AFCCG in 2020. That is as close to getting(sniffing) to a SB as you can get, the following year they were 13 seconds away from sniffing their 2nd AFCCG in a row, and you know damn well what happened. It's a team effort and I am sure you know this. You are just a hater. Probably the biggest one on this forum. 

Bills fans have become incredibly spoiled if their biggest problem in this day and age, only making the playoffs is a disaster, especially for a team that went 17 years without doing so. Acting like going to the SB is some super easy thing to do when in reality it is not. If it was as easy as people make it out to be, all the teams in the NFL would have made an appearance. We may never go to one, but it's not going to take away from Josh and how he was as a player.

I just want to win a Super Bowl lol.

Just now, FireChans said:

I just want to win a Super Bowl lol.

Yeah, and so do the rest of us. I also want a million dollars. We can 
want" things all we want, but a lot of things have to come to place for it to happen. I think you know damn well that if we hung on for "13 seconds" and got to host the AFCCG back in the 21/22 year, we would have gone to the SB. The offense was on fire in the playoffs that year, and I think we would have killed The Bengals. In case anyone forgot, the Chiefs were in the midst of blowing that team out in the AFCCG and took their foot off the gas. Burrow was not lighting it up that year either in the playoffs. I think we would have gone.

You need a total team and coaching effort, a little bit of luck, things to fall into place. You need all of these things. Our coaching staff blundered that. If it's easier for you to blame the guy(QB1) who is allowing our team to even have a chance, or be in the conversation for a Super Bowl, you do you, if it makes you feel better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Honestly you need to chill bro. You won't survive the Josh Allen era at this rate. He's only maybe halfway through his career. 

I agree and there’s a long way to go. But things close fast in the nfl. Allen is making big boy money so we aren’t going to be able to load up like we have in the past. It’s going to be on him more than ever. 

bills fans love hating on Cam Newton (who I think favors Allen a lot even though they are different races and you can’t compare them! 🥴). Newton set rookie passing records; won a MVP with Ted Ginn as his number 1 receiver (he would have killed for Allen’s weapons); and went to a SB with Ron Rivera (McDermott is the far superior coach). Then like 2 years later, he was done. It can happen so fast,

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think so. 

well then we simply might as well as stop arguing the point as this won’t go anywhere if you continue to think the numbers are some how close.

surely you would not say two QB’s, one with 20 TD’s on the season and one with 40TD’s on the season are close in total TD’s right?

so what makes 20 and 40 close when we are talking INT’s to TD’s vs. TD’s to TD’s?

27 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Yeah, and so do the rest of us. I also want a million dollars. We can 
want" things all we want, but a lot of things have to come to place for it to happen. I think you know damn well that if we hung on for "13 seconds" and got to host the AFCCG back in the 21/22 year, we would have gone to the SB. The offense was on fire in the playoffs that year, and I think we would have killed The Bengals. In case anyone forgot, the Chiefs were in the midst of blowing that team out in the AFCCG and took their foot off the gas. Burrow was not lighting it up that year either in the playoffs. I think we would have gone.

You need a total team and coaching effort, a little bit of luck, things to fall into place. You need all of these things. Our coaching staff blundered that. If it's easier for you to blame the guy(QB1) who is allowing our team to even have a chance, or be in the conversation for a Super Bowl, you do you, if it makes you feel better.

This organization also helped Allen get to where he is as well. This team had some of the best SB odds of any team this offseason. Let’s not pretend like Allen is on the Pats. 

allen is amazing but he is going to be under scrutiny because he is making $45 million/ year and the roster will be limited now because of that. Allen’s good is as good as any qb in the nfl. But we need to stop pretending he plays like that every week. It has been very inconsistent this season and he is part of the reason. Not all but it’s wild how so many just give him a pass (awesome pun).  Hopefully with Brady, we will see more Eagles games than Broncos ones (where he was absolutely terrible). 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

well then we simply might as well as stop arguing the point as this won’t go anywhere if you continue to think the numbers are some how close.

surely you would not say two QB’s, one with 20 TD’s on the season and one with 40TD’s on the season are close in total TD’s right?

so what makes 20 and 40 close when we are talking INT’s to TD’s vs. TD’s to TD’s?

He has a worse TD/TO ratio despite creating lots of touchdowns. Which means he has lots of TO’s.

Do you agree with that? 

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He has a worse TD/TO ratio despite creating lots of touchdowns. Which means he has lots of TO’s.

Do you agree with that? 

I agree with that, but your original conclusion was wrong. They’re not close in any kind of way.

The reason they’re not close despite having the highest turnover rate among quarterbacks is that he also has the highest touchdown rate among quarterbacks.

if he was middle of the pack in touchdown rate, or maybe just slightly above average in touchdown rate, but still had the highest turnover rate in the league, we might actually have a problem and something worth discussing.

33 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree with that, but your original conclusion was wrong. They’re not close in any kind of way.

The reason they’re not close despite having the highest turnover rate among quarterbacks is that he also has the highest touchdown rate among quarterbacks.

if he was middle of the pack in touchdown rate, or maybe just slightly above average in touchdown rate, but still had the highest turnover rate in the league, we might actually have a problem and something worth discussing.

I think having one of the lower TD/TO ratios of the best QB’s in the NFL, isn’t that good.

To me its not a consistent "turnover machine" issue - he just has games where he's a turnover machine.  Usually you lose those games.  Jets and Denver this year - whether we should have won either or not, we're in a lot better shape if he doesn't combine for 7 turnovers in those games.  Like if he doesn't play terrible in those games - probably 8-4.  

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think having one of the lower TD/TO ratios of the best QB’s in the NFL, isn’t that good.

is there even a significant difference between 2.18 and say 2.5? That might be something worth figuring out first. My hunch is that it’s insignificant because the raw data tells us 20 in fact is actually not close to 44 at all. And 210 is significantly greater than 96.

Very few quarterbacks in the league have a touchdown to turnover ratio closer to 3 to 1 the majority are closer to 2:1 like Allen.

and this year there’s quarterbacks that are considered good with even lower touchdown to turnover ratios than Allen has.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This organization also helped Allen get to where he is as well. This team had some of the best SB odds of any team this offseason. Let’s not pretend like Allen is on the Pats. 

allen is amazing but he is going to be under scrutiny because he is making $45 million/ year and the roster will be limited now because of that. Allen’s good is as good as any qb in the nfl. But we need to stop pretending he plays like that every week. It has been very inconsistent this season and he is part of the reason. Not all but it’s wild how so many just give him a pass (awesome pun).  Hopefully with Brady, we will see more Eagles games than Broncos ones (where he was absolutely terrible). 

The main reason why Buffalo has been in contention is the Allen to Diggs combo. The rest of the team is not, nor has been as great as the Allen and Diggs duo. This is not the 90's, where The Buffalo Bills were a loaded team, from top to bottom. Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Steve Tasker, a loaded offensive line. If we had THAT type of team, I would agree with you, but we have had two very special players elevating this team, and a "decent" team outside of them. 

36 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

is there even a significant difference between 2.18 and say 2.5? That might be something worth figuring out first. My hunch is that it’s insignificant because the raw data tells us 20 in fact is actually not close to 44 at all. And 210 is significantly greater than 96.

Very few quarterbacks in the league have a touchdown to turnover ratio closer to 3 to 1 the majority are closer to 2:1 like Allen.

and this year there’s quarterbacks that are considered good with even lower touchdown to turnover ratios than Allen has.

I bet the difference between Mahomes’ 3.2 and 2.18 is statistically significant.

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

@FireChans nice thread.  Pay me

DM’s are open, send me that venmo

35 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

The main reason why Buffalo has been in contention is the Allen to Diggs combo. The rest of the team is not, nor has been as great as the Allen and Diggs duo. This is not the 90's, where The Buffalo Bills were a loaded team, from top to bottom. Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Steve Tasker, a loaded offensive line. If we had THAT type of team, I would agree with you, but we have had two very special players elevating this team, and a "decent" team outside of them. 

1 - there was no salary cap in 90s

2 - the bills made the playoffs in Allen’s second year when he was very raw still and was a major reason we lost that playoff game to Houston. 

3 - the defense has ranked 6th, 2nd, 1st,  16th, & 2nd in points allowed since Allen has been here. 

zero question Allen is our best player and a top 3 qb. But to act like this is some garbage team surround him is just wrong. The offense has been remarkably healthy this year but has been super inconsistent. I don’t know any reasonable fan can deny that. 

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

2 - the bills made the playoffs in Allen’s second year when he was very raw still and was a major reason we lost that playoff game to Houston. 

This is flat out wrong. Allen was NOT the major reason the Bills lost that playoff game.  The major reasons the Bills lost that game:

*  The defense, as it has been prone to do in the playoffs, blew a late 3rd quarter 16 - 0 lead. 

*  McD got to conservative in the 2nd half with the offense.

Allen actually played well in that game given it was his first playoff game, was on the road, and the Bills had not exactly surrounded him with play makers unless you consider that guy from the CFL a "ply maker".

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

3 - the defense has ranked 6th, 2nd, 1st,  16th, & 2nd in points allowed since Allen has been here. 

And in the playoffs during the time Allen has been here the defense has played poorly in all but one of the games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It is so odd to me that this is being debated. 

More turn overs are always worse than less.

Yes, scoring more points makes it easier to overcome if you score more points, but it doesn't change the equation that turnovers=bad and more turnovers=more bad. 

I actually don't love Dak, but he is 6-1 in the last 7 weeks with 23:2 TD to INT's. That is about as good as it gets. 23:6 will always be a worse result than 23:2, and like changes the Cowboys from 6-1 in those games to 5-2, 4-3, or 3-4 depending on where those additional 4 INT's come.

55 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I bet the difference between Mahomes’ 3.2 and 2.18 is statistically significant.

I can only speculate that it probably is. Yes, I would say 44 to 20 vs. 40 to 10 kind of visually pops as a significant difference at least.

But then again, 44 is still much greater than 20 right? Just as 40 is much greater than 10?  Is either one almost the same? It might just be me but if the numbers were like 30 TD's to 22 TO's, or 200 TD's to 170 TO's, those would be differences I would consider "almost the same". Not 44 to 20. or 210 to 96

Again, the heart of the argument here is in the final line of your OP:

On 11/29/2023 at 6:05 PM, FireChans said:

But, IMO, this supports the narrative that Josh Allen is almost as much of a TO machine as he is a TD machine.

On 11/29/2023 at 6:26 PM, FireChans said:

Got it!  Gonna do an abridged list in order of total TDs

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-turnovers-by-a-qb-since-2020

Allen 2.36

Mahomes 3.02

Herbert 2.65

Kirk 2.24

Rodgers 4.37 (!)

Brady 2.7

Wilson 2.4

Burrow 2.27

Dak 2.22

Hurts 2.58

Lamar 1.89 (oof)

Yes

We basically have three outliers here. Mahomes and Rodgers on the good end. Lamar on the bad end. And then everyone else jumbled between 2.22 and 2.7. I'm going to make a strong guess that there isn't a meaningful difference there between any of those players jumbled in between Rodgers/ Mahomes at the top and Lamar at the bottom.

On 11/29/2023 at 6:30 PM, Warcodered said:

Doesn't really support the narrative this year that they've been saying it though, when Mahomes this specific year sits at 1.91, Hurts is at 2.07, and Tua is at eeesh 1.57,

Doesn't seem like it or if they are that's a coincidence that the numbers ended up the same.

Then of course there is this. Where ironically the turnover narrative for Allen this year is in full blown crisis mode while he has essentially the same TD:TO rate as Hurts and a higher TD:TO rate than Mahomes and Tua. But it is only Allen that has the turnover crisis. Not the other QB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is flat out wrong. Allen was NOT the major reason the Bills lost that playoff game.  The major reasons the Bills lost that game:

*  The defense, as it has been prone to do in the playoffs, blew a late 3rd quarter 16 - 0 lead. 

*  McD got to conservative in the 2nd half with the offense.

Allen actually played well in that game given it was his first playoff game, was on the road, and the Bills had not exactly surrounded him with play makers unless you consider that guy from the CFL a "ply maker".

And in the playoffs during the time Allen has been here the defense has played poorly in all but one of the games.

This is the problem. Are you a fan of the bills or Josh Allen?  Like this is kind of weird and I should alert Allen?  Any slight (the horror of saying Allen is a top 3 qb but can be inconsistent at times! 😱) makes you react like a soccer mom talking about their kid. 

Allen had a 69.5 qb rating against the Texans with 2 fumbles (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202001040htx.htm) and made some wild decision making. And it was his first playoff start so it is completely understandable. But if you can’t admit that he wasn’t that great that game, you might be more in love with him than Haley.

but yes going forward, nothing will ever be Josh Allen’s fault. With him taking up 40% of the cap space, we just need a figure a way to get Chase and Jefferson here somehow. 

30 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I can only speculate that it probably is. Yes, I would say 44 to 20 vs. 40 to 10 kind of visually pops as a significant difference at least.

But then again, 44 is still much greater than 20 right? Just as 40 is much greater than 10?  Is either one almost the same? It might just be me but if the numbers were like 30 TD's to 22 TO's, or 200 TD's to 170 TO's, those would be differences I would consider "almost the same". Not 44 to 20. or 210 to 96

We basically have three outliers here. Mahomes and Rodgers on the good end. Lamar on the bad end. And then everyone else jumbled between 2.22 and 2.7. I'm going to make a strong guess that there isn't a meaningful difference there between any of those players jumbled in between Rodgers/ Mahomes at the top and Lamar at the bottom.

Then of course there is this. Where ironically the turnover narrative for Allen this year is in full blown crisis mode while he has essentially the same TD:TO rate as Hurts and a higher TD:TO rate than Mahomes and Tua. But it is only Allen that has the turnover crisis. Not the other QB's. 

Allen has the most turnovers in the league. The Bills are 6-6 and lost games to the Jets and Pats. Allen is the best player on the bills. The turnovers have not helped our record. Can we at least agree on that?

• Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I guess when I say “almost as much of a TO machine,” I mean that he is not as hyper efficient as the other guys.

He scored lots of TD’s. He also turns it over a lot. Which drives down his ratio.

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen has the most turnovers in the league. The Bills are 6-6 and lost games to the Jets and Pats. Allen is the best player on the bills. The turnovers have not helped our record. Can we at least agree on that?

Sure, but there is more to wins and losses than just turnovers from the QB. As Fire Chans correctly noted, Hurts and the Eagles won because they were a better team than the Bills. Not because Allen had half as many turnovers as Hurts did in the game. 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Sure, but there is more to wins and losses than just turnovers from the QB. As Fire Chans correctly noted, Hurts and the Eagles won because they were a better team than the Bills. Not because Allen had half as many turnovers as Hurts did in the game. 

Our style of play is too dependent on Josh. We can analyze a TD/INT ratio and as many have pointed out, the huge TD rates are what balances out the higher turnover rates. So we say ok, we will take it. But other teams can score without it being from their QB at much higher rates. At the end of the day how many turnovers you allow really matters when all things are equal (similar points scored). This is not Josh’s issue as much as it’s a Bills issue and it’s beyond just what weapons we have. If Josh is part of the offense vs him being the offense we don’t throw 50 times and we avoid the all but inevitable INT that comes with fifty passes. 

Just now, Mikie2times said:

Our style of play is too dependent on Josh. We can analyze a TD/INT ratio and as many have pointed out, the huge TD rates are what balances out the higher turnover rates. So we say ok, we will take it. But other teams can score without it being from their QB at much higher rates. At the end of the day how many turnovers you allow really matters when all things are equal (similar points scored). This is not Josh’s issue as much as it’s a Bills issue and it’s beyond just what weapons we have. If Josh is part of the offense vs him being the offense we don’t throw 50 times and we avoid the all but inevitable INT that comes with fifty passes. 

Let's look at teams tho as W/L is a team function

We average fewer turnovers/game than the Chiefs and Dolphins

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Let's look at teams tho as W/L is a team function

We average fewer turnovers/game than the Chiefs and Dolphins

I’m not in a place to break data down right now but I would be far more interested in knowing the ratio of points vs turnovers against teams that are above .500 over multiple years vs two randomly picked teams. 

We roll the pups of the world and in those situations all things are not equal. We rarely will ever commit a turnover in those games. Once the situation becomes equal in a competitive situation if I was to bet we don’t do that great in that ratio. As Buffalo requires 50 pass attempts and other teams aren’t taking near that much risk. 

9 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I’m not in a place to break data down right now but I would be far more interested in knowing the ratio of points vs turnovers against teams that are above .500 over multiple years vs two randomly picked teams. 

We roll the pups of the world and in those situations all things are not equal. We rarely will ever commit a turnover in those games. Once the situation becomes equal in a competitive situation if I was to bet we don’t do that great in that ratio. As Buffalo requires 50 pass attempts and other teams aren’t taking near that much risk. 

So this year it looks like we've played 4 teams above .500- Jags Eagles Fins Broncos

Scored 124 pts and suffered 5turnovers

That's 31ppg average and 1.25 turnovers.gm

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think so. 

Hence, the conclusion. 

Since I looked at 5 top QBs statistically from 2020-2023 in my other post, I thought I would look at their TD:Turnover rate for that period (you went back to 2018). I also added a handful more guys from my last post for a larger comparison (outside of Rodgers, only choosing guys that played all 4 years).

2020-2023 

TD:Turnover Rate*                    Total TDs

Aaron Rodgers                  4.37                                   118 (2020-2022 only for Rodgers)

Justin Herbert                   2.84                                   125

Patrick Mahomes              2.74                                   145

Jalen Hurts                        2.36                                    99

Kirk Cousin                        2.36                                   125

Dak Perscott                      2.32                                   102

Joe Burrow                         2.28                                   107

Josh Allen                                2.19                                    162

Ryan Tannehill                    2.15                                    86

Tua Tag                               2.10                                     80

Matt Stafford                     1.86                                     91

Lamar Jackson                  1.82                                     89

Jared Goff                           1.74                                     92

Derek Carr                                1.50                                    87

*turnovers include interceptions and fumbles lost

Now, granted, more overall TDs is still better (which Josh has) because the opposing team is not going to score 7 points off of every turnover. Some may just turn into field goals and on some they may not get points at all. So, TD to Turnover rate isn't some be-all stat for overall success or scoring or wins either. It just points out that, as we all know, Josh could get better at not turning the ball over. If he did, he would then be fully on par with Mahomes...but as it is, he's a step down right now because of the turnovers. Yet Josh's overall total TDs/scoring does balance out enough of the turnovers, to still put him ahead of the rest of the QBs in the league (not named Mahomes), imo. I mean would anyone really want Kirk Cousins instead of Josh Allen because Kirk has a better TD to Turnover Rate?

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, folz said:

Since I looked at 5 top QBs statistically from 2020-2023 in my other post, I thought I would look at their TD:Turnover rate for that period (you went back to 2018). I also added a handful more guys from my last post for a larger comparison (outside of Rodgers, only choosing guys that played all 4 years).

2020-2023 

TD:Turnover Rate*                    Total TDs

Aaron Rodgers                  4.37                                   118 (2020-2022 only for Rodgers)

Justin Herbert                   2.84                                   125

Patrick Mahomes              2.74                                   145

Jalen Hurts                        2.36                                    99

Kirk Cousin                        2.36                                   125

Dak Perscott                      2.32                                   102

Joe Burrow                         2.28                                   107

Josh Allen                                2.19                                    162

Ryan Tannehill                    2.15                                    86

Tua Tag                               2.10                                     80

Matt Stafford                     1.86                                     91

Lamar Jackson                  1.82                                     89

Jared Goff                           1.74                                     92

Derek Carr                                1.50                                    87

*turnovers include interceptions and fumbles lost

Now, granted, more overall TDs is still better (which Josh has) because the opposing team is not going to score 7 points off of every turnover. Some may just turn into field goals and on some they may not get points at all. So, TD to Turnover rate isn't some be-all stat for overall success or scoring or wins either. It just points out that, as we all know, Josh could get better at not turning the ball over. If he did, he would then be fully on par with Mahomes...but as it is, he's a step down right now because of the turnovers. Yet Josh's overall total TDs/scoring does balance out enough of the turnovers, to still put him ahead of the rest of the QBs in the league (not named Mahomes), imo. I mean would anyone really want Kirk Cousins instead of Josh Allen because Kirk has a better TD to Turnover Rate?

Some folks continue to dispute the bolded and I’m not sure why.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

So this year it looks like we've played 4 teams above .500- Jags Eagles Fins Broncos

Scored 124 pts and suffered 5turnovers

That's 31ppg average and 1.25 turnovers.gm

I'll take that average all year.  This season was probably lost because Dorsey & the offense way underperformed against the Jets & Patriots.  We'd be 8-4 and in a good position to easily make the playoffs.  Throw in McDermott's garbage defense late in games and 8 wins could be 10. 

This whole media frenzy about Josh and the TO's is so overblown is comical. Their collective laziness ignores that Tua & Hurts are at 10 and Mahomes at 9.  Of course qbs that run and throw more are going to have a higher TO ratio.  But basically now the media credit Josh with 3 INT's before the game even starts.

I’ll post it again:

Dak is 6-1 in his last 7 starts with 25:3 total TD to TO ratio. That’s about as good as it gets. 

If he goes 25:12, better than 2:1, like some are suggesting is OK, those 9 additional TO’s likely cost them a few games. 

More turnovers are always bad and always cost games. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is the problem. Are you a fan of the bills or Josh Allen?  Like this is kind of weird and I should alert Allen?  Any slight (the horror of saying Allen is a top 3 qb but can be inconsistent at times! 😱) makes you react like a soccer mom talking about their kid. 

Is this how you debate points?  Seems like you melt down and start throwing insults at anyone that disagrees with your unhinged and inaccurate attacks on Allen.  

BTW, what I think is weird is that you haven't been able to get past your hatred of the Allen pick from back in 2018. How long are you going to hold a grudge that Allen has made you and bunch of others look like football illiterates.

Oh and I love your passive aggressive shtick where you trash Allen and then add a disclaimer at the end saying something along the lines that "Allen is a top 3 QB".  Come on man, anyone reading what you say about Allen's deficiencies can't possibly believe that you believe he's a top 3 QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

No most of us don't dispute the bolded:  "It just points out that, as we all know, Josh could get better at not turning the ball over. If he did, he would then be fully on par with Mahomes...but as it is, he's a step down right now because of the turnovers"

What we dispute are the causes and solutions to the problem:

*  The cause of Allen's excess TO's IMO is primarily because he has the weakest supporting cast of offensive players compared to the other QB's on the list. 

*  The solution IMO is twofold: 1) shift FA money & draft picks to the offense and 2) move away from a defense minded coach to an offense minded coach.

Others seem to think that Allen's TO issues are primarily his fault because he can't read the field or that he's careless with the ball. Other causes that are thrown out are that he doesn't work out in the off season and he makes to many commercials.  These same folks claim that if Allen would just work harder in the off season and stop being careless the TO's would go away.

Sorry I happen to think I'm right here and they're wrong.  Hopefully well never have to test either hypothesis as a result of Allen leaving the Bills and taking leading another team to a SB win.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:05 PM, FireChans said:

So here's my response to @Alphadawg7's analysis which was hyper-focused on solely interceptions.

We are gonna look at QB's since 2018 (since Josh entered the league) and analyze the TD:TO ratio

Aaron Rodgers

4.3 (!)

Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson

Tom Brady

Justin Herbert

Jalen Hurts

Deshaun Watson

Joe Burrow

Kirk Cousins

Lamar Jackson

Dak Prescott

Josh Allen

Ryan Tannehill

Matt Stafford

Jared Goff

Matt Ryan

Derek Carr

So what does this tell us?  Josh's counting numbers are elite, but on a TD:TO ratio, he's near the bottom rung of the upper echelon QB's in the NFL today.

Now, some of these QB's are trending downward significantly from who or what they were 4-5 years ago, namely Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson.   But, IMO, this supports the narrative that Josh Allen is almost as much of a TO machine as he is a TD machine.

Nothing like a clueless Josh hater constructing a mindless statistical thread comparing all these QBs propensity to throw picks in order for him to arrive at detracting from Josh’s value and being able to call him a TO machine. Remember, beside Mahomes, who is on another level, Josh has won more, thrown more TDs, played more(never missed a game) and ran for more TDs, with suspect O-lines and 4 different OCs. His value is higher than all these QBs because without him the team is picking to 5 in the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Because they’re blinded by the notion that Allen is the best in the league and Mahomes only seems better because of any excuses you want to make. Just homerism. It’s gotten so bad lately that complimenting Mahomes is a slight towards Allen. 

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Nothing like a clueless Josh hater constructing a mindless statistical thread comparing all these QBs propensity to throw picks in order for him to arrive at detracting from Josh’s value and being able to call him a TO machine. Remember, beside Mahomes, who is on another level, Josh has won more, thrown more TDs, played more(never missed a game) and ran for more TDs, with suspect O-lines and 4 different OCs. His value is higher than all these QBs because without him the team is picking to 5 in the draft.

The numbers are the numbers my man.

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No most of us don't dispute the bolded:  "It just points out that, as we all know, Josh could get better at not turning the ball over. If he did, he would then be fully on par with Mahomes...but as it is, he's a step down right now because of the turnovers"

What we dispute are the causes and solutions to the problem:

*  The cause of Allen's excess TO's IMO is primarily because he has the weakest supporting cast of offensive players compared to the other QB's on the list. 

*  The solution IMO is twofold: 1) shift FA money & draft picks to the offense and 2) move away from a defense minded coach to an offense minded coach.

Others seem to think that Allen's TO issues are primarily his fault because he can't read the field or that he's careless with the ball. Other causes that are thrown out are that he doesn't work out in the off season and he makes to many commercials.  These same folks claim that if Allen would just work harder in the off season and stop being careless the TO's would go away.

Sorry I happen to think I'm right here and they're wrong.  Hopefully well never have to test either hypothesis as a result of Allen leaving the Bills and taking leading another team to a SB win.

I don’t necessarily agree that Josh has the WEAKEST supporting cast, but I do agree that upgrading our offensive weapons would probably decrease his propensity to press and make poor throws.

It’s very fair, imo, to say that Mahomes’ numbers are boosted a bit from having two HoF targets for a chunk of his career.

I also think Josh’s gunslinger gutsy mentality drives a lot of these TO’s as well, and that makes him the great QB he is. I just wish he could be a little bit better at picking and choosing his spots.

Edited by FireChans

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The numbers are the numbers my man.

I don’t necessarily agree that Josh has the WEAKEST supporting cast, but I do agree that upgrading our offensive weapons would probably decrease his propensity to press and make poor throws.

It’s very fair, imo, to say that Mahomes’ numbers are boosted a bit from having two HoF targets for a chunk of his career.

I also think Josh’s gunslinger gutsy mentality drives a lot of these TO’s as well, and that makes him the great QB he is. I just wish he could be a little bit better at picking and choosing his spots.

So which of these Super Bowl contending peers of the Bills has worse offensive weapons then Buffalo?

KC:  Sure they don't have the dynamic duo of Kelsey/Hill but Mahomes had them for 4 seasons.  In 2022 the Chiefs had a much better O line (top 3 versus a bottom 10 Bills line) and much better offensive coaching.  This season Mahomes is the closest he's been to Allen in weapons since they entered the league.  And notice how similar their numbers are this year.  And of course Mahomes has better offensive coaching and a better O line.

SF:  Can we agree that the 49's Purdy has enjoyed much superior offensive play makers and O line and coaching versus the Bills over the last 2 seasons.

Eagles:  Hurts clearly has superior play makers, O line and offensive coaching.

Dallas: Dak clearly has superior play makers and O line.

Miami: Tua has superior play makers and offensive coaching.

Cincinnati: Burrow enjoys superior play makers, a better O line (today) and better offensive coaching. The Bengals let 2 starting safeties go to further upgrade their O line.

Baltimore:  This is the one SB peer that until this year has not had superior play makers though this year they do.  This is also a team & QB that have not sniffed the Super Bowl with the team being 1 - 4 and the QB 1 - 3 in the playoffs since 2018.

So I would love to hear which of the Bills SB contending peers has worse offensive talent/coaching surrounding their QB then Allen has surrounding him?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.