8th late-game defensive meltdown this season

dave mcbride

What happens to our roster if McD gets fired and we make a defensive switch? We most likely have to shift out of a lot of the lightweight lbs and zone (only) CBs, at least we have Elam 😃 and R. Douglas looks good. I’m just not ready to go defense heavy in another draft, and our team really needs a WR 2! Like badly! Blocking well isn’t a main qualification for a WR 2 in the NFL. Having said that god I hope we have a different defense on the field come training camp! 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I can’t link because I didn’t save them and cannot provide screen shot because the files are too large. But here’s a copy and paste:

Nick Veronica @NickVeronica

Follow

The Bills have managed to lose 6 games by 6 points or less in the first 12 weeks of the season.

Congrats, no team in NFL history has done it more than that.

20 others matched that total — most recent were the 2015 Ravens & 2012 Panthers, whose D coordinator you might recognize.

And:

Michael F. Florio @MichaelFFlorio

Josh Allen threw for 339 yards and 2 TDs, while rushing for 81 and another 2 TDs. Scored 34 points. They lost.

3 times this year Josh Allen has scored to give the Bills a lead with under 2 minutes left and they've gone onto lose. It all comes down to one person

DAMNING, IF TRUE 👍 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's one thing to have Mahomes, Hurts or Burrow do that to you.  It's a special level of ineptitude to watch the defense be so completely helpless against the likes of washed-up Russ, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield in those critical moments.

why McDermott needs to be shown the door  Roster has what he asked for.   Rotation of d linemen vs getting Allen more help and a offense that gets a lead and he cant hold one  Ever!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's one thing to have Mahomes, Hurts or Burrow do that to you.  It's a special level of ineptitude to watch the defense be so completely helpless against the likes of washed-up Russ, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield in those critical moments.

And then blame the offensive coordinator for the ineptitude of the team 😂

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

we did have the ball last this game. 20 seconds left and one timeout. Should’ve been two timeouts but Mcdummy decided to waste one trying to ice the kicker.

could’ve at least attempted a couple of passes to get into field goal range for the win. Instead thought the best move was to take a knee.

Seriously. He played for OT instead of playing for the win. Did he really learn absolutely nothing from the 13 seconds debacle? I mean, he had a whole 7 more seconds. and could have had 2 timeouts to go with it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 0017 said:

What happens to our roster if McD gets fired and we make a defensive switch? We most likely have to shift out of a lot of the lightweight lbs and zone (only) CBs, at least we have Elam 😃 and R. Douglas looks good. I’m just not ready to go defense heavy in another draft, and our team really needs a WR 2! Like badly! Blocking well isn’t a main qualification for a WR 2 in the NFL. Having said that god I hope we have a different defense on the field come training camp! 

you can keep the scheme and gradually shift  Start with playing your best defensive guys on more snaps instead of yielding to "fresh" jags  Maybe figure out  how to stop a offense at least once in a while at the end of the game  

1 hour ago, Comebackkid said:

In the superbowl years they were very good at having the ball last and when it didn't work you could usually count on Bruce to make a play.  But they were very good at scoring on the last drive of the game

To be fair… Josh is pretty good at scoring on the last drive of the game.  

The current team’s problem is we have no one on defense that can get the stop when they get the ball back with under 2mins.  

…and when they do force a fumble to seal the game…the refs just step in and say uhhh no.

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Granted, the offense has had issues over the course of the season, but it mostly shows up in the fourth quarter, generally speaking. As for the defense in such situations, they have by my count folded 8 times in late-game situations:

Pats game

Denver game

Philly game

Giants game (saved by a ridiculous non-call on the last play - that was blatant DPI)

Cincy -- couldn't get a stop on Cincy’s final possession late to give Allen one more chance

Jax: with the score 11-7 at the beginning of the fourth quarter, they give up 2 long td drives to Jax, with one drive starting at the Jax 7 yard line. Yes, there were injuries, but the D was still steamrolled late in the game — which has been par for the course. To be sure, the offense should have done more early on, but they woke up in the latter part of the game. 

TB - the Bills had a dominating two-TD lead and almost blew it by surrendering a penalty-riddled late TD drive and 2-point conversion followed by a near miss of a hail mary after giving up 3 completions to a team with zero timeouts, which allowed TB to get in position to make the throw.

First Jets game (with special teams collapsing in OT too) - they had a 13-6 lead in the 4th and gave up a 60-yard TD drive to a horrible QB, allowing the Jets to tie it. Of course, Allen was awful  in that game too, but the Bills D didn’t create any plays late either.

You know, I came here hoping you'd list them, and you did.  Then, when I read the list, I simply couldn't remember all the situations and all the endings.  My reaction:   It's happened so often, it's hard to remember them all.  And that's a sad tale.  

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Granted, the offense has had issues over the course of the season, but it mostly shows up in the fourth quarter, generally speaking. As for the defense in such situations, they have by my count folded 8 times in late-game situations:

Pats game

Denver game

Philly game

Giants game (saved by a ridiculous non-call on the last play - that was blatant DPI)

Cincy -- couldn't get a stop on Cincy’s final possession late to give Allen one more chance

Jax: with the score 11-7 at the beginning of the fourth quarter, they give up 2 long td drives to Jax, with one drive starting at the Jax 7 yard line. Yes, there were injuries, but the D was still steamrolled late in the game — which has been par for the course. To be sure, the offense should have done more early on, but they woke up in the latter part of the game. 

TB - the Bills had a dominating two-TD lead and almost blew it by surrendering a penalty-riddled late TD drive and 2-point conversion followed by a near miss of a hail mary after giving up 3 completions to a team with zero timeouts, which allowed TB to get in position to make the throw.

First Jets game (with special teams collapsing in OT too) - they had a 13-6 lead in the 4th and gave up a 60-yard TD drive to a horrible QB, allowing the Jets to tie it. Of course, Allen was awful  in that game too, but the Bills D didn’t create any plays late either.

I don't need to see anymore stats to confirm the train wreck that McDermott and his 2nd half defense is.  This dates back to 2019 and the blown 16-0 Houston game.  Sean's time in Buffalo is over.  McD loyalists have no more spins to weave.  It's over, he's awful and must be replaced immediately with a dynamic offensive coach.  Thank you for trying Clappy but you don't have the coaching chops.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronyAbounds said:

Haven't most if not all of the collapses this season come after Milano, Jones and White were injured? It simply is difficult to overcome loss of 3 key guys like that, particularly Milano who ran the defense while on the field.

Here are 10 games where Josh & the offense tied or took the lead in the last 2 minutes. They're 0-10 in the 10. That's a coaching failure.

2597cef5-c9c8-4039-869a-15e8074a94a6.jpeg

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Here are 10 games where Josh & the offense tied or took the lead in the last 2 minutes. They're 0-10 in the 10. That's a coaching failure.

2597cef5-c9c8-4039-869a-15e8074a94a6.jpeg

Don’t forget all of the games where we blew large leads late but somehow managed to luckily win anyway. I would love to see that list!

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Governor said:

Wow. I forgot all about the Cincy game. His 4th quarter defense is so incredibly awful. He sucked in Carolina also. I never liked the hire.

Why do you think Reid fired his ass.  He's got issues and he's rarely willing to call man press. Not even a little.  He's easy to plan for.  His guys had zero boundary support on that game winning drive last night.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Why do you think Reid fired his ass.  He's got issues and he's rarely willing to call man press. Not even a little.  He's easy to plan for.  His guys had zero boundary support on that game winning drive last night.

My memory is fuzzy on those Reid/Eagles teams. It was already known that McD was a choker before he went to Carolina so I guess that’s where that came from. Reid choked in lots of different ways. lol.

Jim Johnson never really got it done when it mattered either.

Edited by Governor

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.