Giant elephant in room. Beane

<bills4life>

Beane is average imo. He’s had his misses but so has every other GM in the league. I refuse to be upset with him for the Von signing because almost everyone was on board with it when it happened. It was said if the Bills win a Super Bowl it would be worth it. Where I do blame him is for players like Elam, Poyer/Hyde, Basham, free agent signings, and a lack of a quality second receiver. The team has needed a reliable second receiver for the last couple of years and hasn’t gotten one.   With what Sherfield and Harty have provided they should have kept McKenzie who would have been cheaper and better for the morale on offense. While Elam was a miss Benford was a great find. Since they were in the same draft I consider it a wash with Benford being a late round pick.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

Beane is average imo. He’s had his misses but so has every other GM in the league. I refuse to be upset with him for the Von signing because almost everyone was on board with it when it happened. It was said if the Bills win a Super Bowl it would be worth it. Where I do blame him is for players like Elam, Poyer/Hyde, Basham, free agent signings, and a lack of a quality second receiver. The team has needed a reliable second receiver for the last couple of years and hasn’t gotten one.   With what Sherfield and Harty have provided they should have kept McKenzie who would have been cheaper and better for the morale on offense. While Elam was a miss Benford was a great find. Since they were in the same draft I consider it a wash with Benford being a late round pick.

Poyer and Hyde were great signings.  You're evaluating them today at the very end of their careers, but when they were signed they were exactly the sort of undervalued assets that you want your GM to uncover.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Poyer and Hyde were great signings.  You're evaluating them today at the very end of their careers, but when they were signed they were exactly the sort of undervalued assets that you want your GM to uncover.

I’m talking about bringing them back this year not when they were first signed. 

• Agree 1

He pulls out a couple of decent starters from every draft.  The cap is a mess, but only a killer if Pegula stops writing checks to get around the cap.  He tends to find some other decent pieces along the way via trades and signings.  This is a very talented team, and he is responsible for assembling almost all of it.  The people complaining about Bean are the same crew that complained about Polian and Butler.  When those guys left the team went down the toilet.  Bean is a top 5 GM in the NFL, he just maybe needs a better coach.  

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Beane had no part of Hyde/Poyer unless you are referring to them resigning them to the deals they are currently on. 

They were some of the best FA signings this franchise has ever had. The issue now is that the wheels have fallen off and they are still our very best options and will most likely have to reset these two and several other important Defensive positions this offseason.

The negligence surrounding finding a reliable WR2 for the past two seasons while we are in this window is scrutiny he cannot avoid. 

47 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Beane had no part of Hyde/Poyer unless you are referring to them resigning them to the deals they are currently on. 

They were some of the best FA signings this franchise has ever had. The issue now is that the wheels have fallen off and they are still our very best options and will most likely have to reset these two and several other important Defensive positions this offseason.

The negligence surrounding finding a reliable WR2 for the past two seasons while we are in this window is scrutiny he cannot avoid. 

I am referring to the deals they are in now. Of course they were great signings initially however, they are washed and have been washed all season long. 

A lot to like about what Beane has done but the veteran contracts and extensions generally look bad. Von contract might turn out to be one of worst in history. He handed out 120 mil to a 34 year old DE so u are playing with fire and he got burnt. Knox was over paid and Tre contract ended up being terrible but though to predict so many injuries for White. Diggs contract is also looking worrisome as they just kept adding $ and kicking can down the road. Would have been worth it for SB but could not even get there. 

Bills are on a linear regression from conference championship loss to divisional implosion to divisional blowout to missing the playoffs. They’re back in cap jail with nothing to show for it. Litany of pending free agents and other major question marks heading into next season such as Poyer, Hyde, White, Miller, Dawkins, Brown, Morse, Davis, etc. When and if McDermott gets fired, Beane goes too.

15 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

10 pages in and I'm not reading all 10, so apologies if this has been said.

Beane is not a bad GM. He's had some picks hit and had some miss. Free agency has been a mixed bag. He's league average IMO and you could easily do a whole lot worse. 

I do think he rolls the dice to find value on a player that he "thinks" may pan out (like Harty) over a guy that is established and more plug and play way too often. I also think he (and his staff) are better evaluating talent on player than finding player who fit. In that sense he's correct on the player but incorrect on their usefulness to us. Right now Elam may be a shining example of that.

I'm also TERRIFIED of him having an opportunity to pick the next head coach (if it comes to that. One almost constant with Beane is his belief on going with what he knows rather than someone he's unfamiliar with. Could see that a TON in his player acquisitions from Carolina early in his tenure (which is common)...but he continues to do it. Examples are brining in the corpse of Beasley and Brown last year and Josh "107 year old" Norman this year. 

While I'm sure he would interview a bunch of people I have to believe based on his past, 2 guys that would absolutely get an interview would be Ron Rivera and, yes Leslie Frazier. He knows them, he's comfortable with them. And I think if he tried he could sell Pegula on the idea of Ron being a coach that has made a Super Bowl or Frazier already being familiar with the players. 

I like Brandon Beane, I just don't trust him enough in this spot to make a sound choice.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Beane should stay and McDermott should go.

I also wonder how much of what Brandon Beane does is influenced by giving McDermott a team he says he needs.  

For all of Beane's misses, and he has his fair share, he's still above average.  He's provided the Buffalo Bills with:

Top 2 QB

Top 5 OL

Top 5 DL

Top 5 WR

Along with young pieces like Kincaid, Torrence, Shakir, Cook, Benford and Bernard.

The challenge now will be keeping the DL as a top tier unit next year with our salary cap situation.  Everything else.. Top 5 OL, Top 2 QB, Top 5 WR should carry over, and potentially even be bolstered if we can upgrade on Gabe Davis at WR2 via this loaded draft.

Absolutely insane that we are 6-6 with what I mentioned above.  That's not on Beane.  That's on our choke artist of a Head Coach, who demands resources be spent heavily on defense, yet that defense never steps up when it matters.  Game after Game.  Year after Year.  

Just this year we didn't sign Hopkins, because we spent on Poyer and Floyd.   Then the defense fell apart due to injuries, so Beane got McD Douglas and Joseph.   It's always about the defense... and for what?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane has had multiple years to fix the trenches and they are still mediocre on their best days. The list of FA signings and draft picks on the OL and DL that were misses is embarrassing.  The only disclaimer…how much say does McDummy have in terms of FA and the draft. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

Yes but a six year contract for a thirty five year old player who relies on speed and flexibility was pretty dumb.  Contract should been three years tops

And what if Von said no? I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure Beane would have offered less term if he could. Just a hunch.

But let's not forget that the Miller signing was that swing-for-the-fences move we all say we want the Bills to make.  

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Beane has had multiple years to fix the trenches and they are still mediocre on their best days. The list of FA signings and draft picks on the OL and DL that were misses is embarrassing.  The only disclaimer…how much say does McDummy have in terms of FA and the draft. 

There are justifiable criticisms, but this one ended this year.   Your post is just flat out wrong. 

The Bills have a Top 5 OL and Top 5 DL.  

The question is can they keep the DL going given our cap situation, pending FA's and Beane having a weakness so far at drafting early impact EDGE rushers.

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

There are justifiable criticisms, but this one ended this year.   Your post is just flat out wrong. 

The Bills have a Top 5 OL and Top 5 DL.  

The question is can they keep the DL going given our cap situation, pending FA's and Beane having a weakness so far at drafting early impact EDGE rushers.

Do you have stats to back this up?

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

10 pages in and I'm not reading all 10, so apologies if this has been said.

Beane is not a bad GM. He's had some picks hit and had some miss. Free agency has been a mixed bag. He's league average IMO and you could easily do a whole lot worse. 

I do think he rolls the dice to find value on a player that he "thinks" may pan out (like Harty) over a guy that is established and more plug and play way too often. I also think he (and his staff) are better evaluating talent on player than finding player who fit. In that sense he's correct on the player but incorrect on their usefulness to us. Right now Elam may be a shining example of that.

I'm also TERRIFIED of him having an opportunity to pick the next head coach (if it comes to that. One almost constant with Beane is his belief on going with what he knows rather than someone he's unfamiliar with. Could see that a TON in his player acquisitions from Carolina early in his tenure (which is common)...but he continues to do it. Examples are brining in the corpse of Beasley and Brown last year and Josh "107 year old" Norman this year. 

While I'm sure he would interview a bunch of people I have to believe based on his past, 2 guys that would absolutely get an interview would be Ron Rivera and, yes Leslie Frazier. He knows them, he's comfortable with them. And I think if he tried he could sell Pegula on the idea of Ron being a coach that has made a Super Bowl or Frazier already being familiar with the players. 

I like Brandon Beane, I just don't trust him enough in this spot to make a sound choice.

He's never had the opportunity to do that yet. But if they do move on from McDermott and Beane stays then we will see. He will definitely be the one leading the search for the next HC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.