Giant elephant in room. Beane

<bills4life>

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Beane built a team to peak last season.  It didn't work. This season was a wing and a prayer with an aging secondary and hoping ACLs tears fully recovered for a CB and your main Pass Rusher.  Competent coaching might have made due with the the wing and prayer.  But the Bills head coach is stale and figured out.  Every team in the NFL has a 2 minute script to beat the Bills and it works every single time this year.   

But other than the GMs for the chiefs and the eagles. Its not clear that there are any dramactically better GMs in the league. 

John Lynch for the 49ers is another...That team with Allen right now would be a super bowl winner guaranteed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

What WR did you want to give $5M this season that is playing better?

The Knox point is on coaching, which I will not argue. But Beane is giving the coaches talent. It's on them to use it properly.

Stick with the logic here.  

That's Beane's job, quite a few people here think he's done a fantastic job.  Take that up with them.  

Don't strap me with the issues he's created that I would not have let get to this point.  

1 hour ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

He assembled this team ass backwards to how the modern nfl runs....we should have built this offense to the max like miami did before we went caveman football....just the von Miller signing if put on the offense is an aj brown,Mike evans,devante Adam's caliber wr next to diggs...I won't even get into the high draft picks on the defense who do little to nothing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bagwell358 said:

He’s been bad. Really bad.

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

he hit on Allen, made a nice trade for 14. 

what else?

Yup 6 drafts no difference makers other than Allen and that’s counting both sides of the ball! 

Oliver and to a lesser extent Epenesa making the leap, in addition to Kincaid, makes the Beane scrutiny kind of dumb. Maybe if you're looking for the seventh or eighth most concerning thing to argue.

Epenesa was genius in retrospect. Beane got him after 5 other trash DE's that you never hear about any more were picked.

Beane should absolutely stay. With a competent head coach he could honestly be an even better GM. Remember, McDermott hired Beane. McDermott has way too much say in personnel decisions I bet. Some of the moves they make reek of Sean's nepotism and reluctance to work with anyone outside his circle. 

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Dude this type of post and the ones blaming Allen aren’t accurate. I get it, that’s how you feel. But if you go into the Beane evaluation thread there’s multiple posts pointing out his history. 

It isn’t terrible or as bad as you would like to believe. He’s produced 2 or 3 key players out of every draft. That’s decent going if you ask me. Those same players aren’t just a role player either. The “failures” you believe aren’t actually failures as if you go by the draft history they are mostly in the later part of the draft. Some guys just don’t mesh with a system or team they are on and move elsewhere and become successful. Again, key contributors more than failures. You cannot hit on every player, the real test is whether you move on from them instead of wasting a roster spot and that more often comes down to coaching and scouting input more than Beane. So you’ve got what? Zack Moss, Wyatt Teller and who else that become regrettable decisions you moved on from? 
Teller is the only one. Moss did nada here. 

He has a handful of failings, that’s always expected in a crap shoot.

Harty, Sherfield and the contract to Miller is rough though. That’s a massive amount of dollar and definitely part of the aging sentiment. Knox we can hold off on, for now. 

It’s a blended input from more than Beane… McD and his coaching staff, scouts, trainers, other front office staff around the league…

Two players a draft is not good enough.  Not expecting all pro players. Just solid and capable starters. Not with a $40+ million a year QB contract.

every single miss in the draft has later been compounded or made up for with a corresponding move (or several moves) that has put us further into a tough cap situation. 

why does he get let off the hook for the guys not working out? Isn’t his job talent evaluation? So if a guy leaves and doesn’t do well anywhere else he is off the hook? Sorry. Don’t share that sentiment. Pick the correct players for your scheme and take advantage of good production on rookie deals. That’s the formula. 

this dedication to investing these resources into the same

positions has cost us the opportunity to address the top need this team has had for 2 offseasons. 

Beane brought on Floyd, and when the D collapsed due to injury, he got Douglas and Joseph to shore up.  Dorian Williams, Terrel Bernard, Christian  Benford are keepers, so his recent work has been very good.  Elam looks like a bust here, but to me that's coaching, I bet he gets better elsewhere.  Miller contract looked good last year until the ACL.  I give Beane the benefit of the doubt.  McDummy must go.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

I think Bean & McD are part of the same problem:  a defensive minded organization is at a real disadvantage in the NFL.

And when you have one of the best QB's of the past 20 years fall into your lap and you don't focus the organizations resources on surrounding the guy with the best tools possible you're committing NFL malpractice in the 2020's.

And now Bean/McD have tried to change how Allen plays the position of QB.  The result is tat we're likley to miss the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.  And folks don't doubt me that Bean/McD NOT Dorsey are responsible for screwing with Allen this season. They were forced by circumstances and hopefully by Pegula to unleash Allen and let him play QB the way he has the last 4 seasons.  Against 2 of the better D's in the NFL Allen had been almost unstoppable and the Bills have put up 32 & 34 points.

Bean and McD must go. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

By running well, being patient, seeing holes, being slippery, breaking tackles, and gaining lots of yards. Like the very good RBs in the league do.

Just doesn’t seem like he’s had that many runs or big games. I’m not saying he’s bad, just not featured. 

30-40 million over the cap depending on what site you look at.  Cut players XY and Z and those are even more holes to fill.    3 defensive linemen signed to the roster next year.  One of the safeties is a FA, the other one is old too.  Gabe is a FA, lose him you have Diggs, Shakir and nothing.   Pre-Beane scouts got you Milano I believe, correct me if I am wrong on that.   Panics in the first round, throws away picks that could be young, cheap guys to develop.   News flash, other teams dont share their board with Beane.  Turns 2nds into 5ths and 6ths. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid for a speed rusher on the wrong side of 30.  Extended a TE for 14 million when he was going to take a TE in the first.   I would say his record is mixed.        

7 minutes ago, Freddie&#x27;s Dead said:

Beane brought on Floyd, and when the D collapsed due to injury, he got Douglas and Joseph to shore up.  Dorian Williams, Terrel Bernard, Christian  Benford are keepers, so his recent work has been very good.  Elam looks like a bust here, but to me that's coaching, I bet he gets better elsewhere.  Miller contract looked good last year until the ACL.  I give Beane the benefit of the doubt.  McDummy must go.

I agree about Floyd and don't care.  Bean is a defensive minded GM and you're not winning a Super Bowl with a defensive minded GM & Head Coach.  Both Bean & McD must go.  They're wasting the talents of a uniquely gifted QB in Allen.  This alone is a firable offense.

3 minutes ago, Freddie&#x27;s Dead said:

The point is all those picks are having to be used after picks flopped. As we all know veterans cost more money. And the fact that we had little money is why Gabe Davis is WR2 and missing scoring opportunities at the end of game. There is a domino effect

1 minute ago, billsfan714 said:

30-40 million over the cap depending on what site you look at.  Cut players XY and Z and those are even more holes to fill.    3 defensive linemen signed to the roster next year.  One of the safeties is a FA, the other one is old too.  Gabe is a FA, lose him you have Diggs, Shakir and nothing.   Pre-Beane scouts got you Milano I believe, correct me if I am wrong on that.   Panics in the first round, throws away picks that could be young, cheap guys to develop.   News flash, other teams dont share their board with Beane.  Turns 2nds into 5ths and 6ths. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid for a speed rusher on the wrong side of 30.  Extended a TE for 14 million when he was going to take a TE in the first.   I would say his record is mixed.        

Someone who gets it.

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Just doesn’t seem like he’s had that many runs or big games. I’m not saying he’s bad, just not featured. 

Because it's 2023 and outside of CMC (who has an obscene 193 carries) RBs dont have big games anymore because they arent a featured position anymore.

His 12 carries for 109 yards (with a big 42 yarder) against the Broncos is up there with big games from RBs. Too bad the coach lost it for us in the end. Probably lost it for us in the beginning by benching Cook for way too long.

He had 17 for 143 against the Raiders and was key to putting them away.

The kid is the real deal, up to the coaching from here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because it's 2023 and outside of CMC (who has an obscene 193 carries) RBs dont have big games anymore because they arent a featured position anymore.

His 12 carries for 109 yards (with a big 42 yarder) against the Broncos is up there with big games from RBs. Too bad the coach lost it for us in the end. Probably lost it for us in the beginning by benching Cook for way too long.

He had 17 for 143 against the Raiders and was key to putting them away.

The kid is the real deal, up to the coaching from here.

Execution on first quarter is important too. 

9 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Two players a draft is not good enough.  Not expecting all pro players. Just solid and capable starters. Not with a $40+ million a year QB contract.

every single miss in the draft has later been compounded or made up for with a corresponding move (or several moves) that has put us further into a tough cap situation. 

why does he get let off the hook for the guys not working out? Isn’t his job talent evaluation? So if a guy leaves and doesn’t do well anywhere else he is off the hook? Sorry. Don’t share that sentiment. Pick the correct players for your scheme and take advantage of good production on rookie deals. That’s the formula. 

this dedication to investing these resources into the same

positions has cost us the opportunity to address the top need this team has had for 2 offseasons. 

Ok. Go across the league and look at how many teams have players drafted and still on their roster after 3 seasons. It’s not as high as you’d like to believe. 

When you average 7.5 draft picks a year and draft 2/3 key players to your team, I’d say that’s a success. Furthermore, when 26 of them are still on your team with another 12 are on NFL teams that means you’ve successfully drafted NFL talent on 38 out of the 45 picks Beane has made since 2018…

All of those 26 players, over 50% (58% to be exact), is capitalizing on rookie deals (your exact statement). So what’s the counter point now? They have to be pro bowl or all-pro?

Picking NFL talent out of thousands of prospects every year isn’t the cake walk you like to believe. Especially when it’s multiple voices and inputs on the decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.