Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

26 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Complete BS.  The team was built by McDermott/Beane.  The next coach inherits that personnel and there’s no guarantee their vision is going to be the same.  

That means it could take a few seasons before the team becomes a contender again.

Wasn’t the criticism that McDermott was “wasting Josh Allen’s prime?”  A great way to waste his prime is by churning through OC’s and coaches.  Ask Justin Herbert.

Are you really going to die on this hill? Let me ask you this. Can we win a Super Bowl with McDermott as head coach? If the answer is no (which it is), what the hell are you talking about? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Are you really going to die on this hill? Let me ask you this. Can we win a Super Bowl with McDermott as head coach? If the answer is no (which it is), what the hell are you talking about? 

The answer is TBD.  To be honest at this point I’m not entirely sure.  I’d like to wait to see how the years ends up, especially as the Bills take on 2 Super Bowl contenders.  

But my point is completely valid.   The “anyone is better than McDermott” is completely flawed logic and yes I will die on that on that hill.  

41 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In this case changing coaches to an offensive minded guy would definitely change the problems on the roster.  It might take a season to fully switch from being focused on the D to putting more into the O but that would payoff sooner rather then later.

Again though, you want to sacrifice years from “Josh Allen’s prime.”  And what’s the “payoff?”  We already have had teams make a run in the postseason, so essentially it could be a lateral move at best.  

The delusions of grandeur are something with this fanbase

45 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

If Mr. Pegula is going to relieve Coach McDermott of the Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills, he better have a strong alternative lined up.

He has no idea.  And keep in mind, this is the same owner who hired and fired a number of coaches and GM’s en route to a playoff drought that’s closing in on the Bills 17 years of futility.  

I’ve asked countless fans who should replace McDermott.  They have absolutely no clue.  Here are the responses:

- Ben Johnson

- Let Brandon Beane make the hire

🤣

49 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You are correct - it all comes down to Terry and he doesn’t do any interview so no one knows what he’s thinking.

I think you are giving too much power to the fan mutiny/PSL conversation.  I think Terry knows what Ralph Wilson knew decades earlier.  

Bills fans in WNY and surrounding areas are incredible loyal and will support the team no matter what.  Plus he has 10,000 less seats to sell at the new stadium.

And even if he does experience a drop in ticket sales, it won’t affect the bottom line that drastically considering for a market like Buffalo NFL revenue sharing is a license to print money.  

To your point though, it has to be a difficult decision for Terry.  

A lot of STHs even here have said that they're not renewing once those higher anticipated prices kick in, much less the PSLs.  

I personally know a bunch of STHs that have said they're not paying those prices.  So we'll see.  

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Not really…it’s based on logic and past history.  Apparently you think Beane is going to throw McDermott under the bus…makes sense!

That’s another reason why I believe there would be loyalty there.

Fans are so hell bent on McDermott getting fired they don’t want to face reality

Beane doesn’t have to throw him under the bus, MCD doesn’t report to him.  You think Beane is going to quit to support his buddy and give up his own contract?  Good luck with that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCofNC said:

Beane doesn’t have to throw him under the bus, MCD doesn’t report to him.  You think Beane is going to quit to support his buddy and give up his own contract?  Good luck with that.

100% it’s always been a collaborative effort between Beane and McDermott.  They were linked together contractually.  If Beane throws McDermott under the bus, he’s essentially throwing himself under too.  

That’s why I think in the end, both stay for one more season to try to turn things around.  But we’ll see

4 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Not trusting your all world QB with :20 and a timeout at the end of the game was abysmal coaching.

Ive been done with McD for a while. He needs to go.

I didn’t like that move either, but what we want and what will actually happen are two different things 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What he does do is run a system then customized personnel to it over years. 

Bernard isn’t a starting MLB in a lot of NFl defenses and neither are Benford or Dane. 

recall Poyer and Hyde were not starters early in their career. 

also all the cap tied up in the front 4 positions isn’t necessarily compatible with numerous schemes either. 

you don’t just switch schemes with the same dudes and everything is perfect…. That’s not how this all works. 

So you think McD just makes guys come to life?   C‘Mon man.  Benford looks like a starter on most teams, Bernard looks like a top 5 cover MLB and you think he can’t play elsewhere? Why is it that he looks better than Edmunds ever did?  Was McD too crappy to get more from the better athlete or is it that Bernard is just a good player?  Poyer did find much more success in Buffalo, but Hyde was an emerging player in GB who was forcing his way on the field, they just didn’t have a spot for him.  I don’t give much to McD on that, Hyde just needed a spot to play and finally got it here.   Dane Jackson is a depth corner who never should have been starting here either.  The zone scheme takes a lot off of corners and that’s how he even has a chance to play, it’s not rocket science here. 

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

100% it’s always been a collaborative effort between Beane and McDermott.  They were linked together contractually.  If Beane throws McDermott under the bus, he’s essentially throwing himself under too.  

That’s why I think in the end, both stay for one more season to try to turn things around.  But we’ll see

I didn’t like that move either, but what we want and what will actually happen are two different things 

They are NOT linked contractually in any way, they came in at different times ( royal screw up by ownership) and got extended at the same time, theres nothing more than that.   You have this false link created in your mind bc they came from the same team that they are forever linked. 

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

So you think McD just makes guys come to life?   C‘Mon man.  Benford looks like a starter on most teams, Bernard looks like a top 5 cover MLB and you think he can’t play elsewhere? Why is it that he looks better than Edmunds ever did?  Was McD too crappy to get more from the better athlete or is it that Bernard is just a good player?  Poyer did find much more success in Buffalo, but Hyde was an emerging player in GB who was forcing his way on the field, they just didn’t have a spot for him.  I don’t give much to McD on that, Hyde just needed a spot to play and finally got it here.   Dane Jackson is a depth corner who never should have been starting here either.  The zone scheme takes a lot off of corners and that’s how he even has a chance to play, it’s not rocket science here. 

They are NOT linked contractually in any way, they came in at different times ( royal screw up by ownership) and got extended at the same time, theres nothing more than that.   You have this false link created in your mind bc they came from the same team that they are forever linked. 

Wrong again.  But I guess because you say so, it makes it correct?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-contract-extensions-gm-brandon-beane-hc-sean-mcdermott-2027#

13 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

It won’t magically be worse either. You’re just scared of the worst case scenario too much to make the right decision.

It’s more of a risk than you want to believe but I guess we’ll find out what happens in a few weeks.  

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Who does?

Brandon Beane does

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In this case changing coaches to an offensive minded guy would definitely change the problems on the roster.  It might take a season to fully switch from being focused on the D to putting more into the O but that would payoff sooner rather then later.

Offense should be ready to take off running with a new coach. 

We bring back Allen, the entire OL, Cook, Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid and Knox. 

Defense would be a good time to get input from a new HC with his DC given the amount of turnover we will likely have.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

If Mr. Pegula is going to relieve Coach McDermott of the Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills, he better have a strong alternative lined up.

I believe Pegula's first question of any prospective hire should be: "what's your philosophy on using Josh?" We are watching his best years being wasted in real time. 

The answer is TBD.  To be honest at this point I’m not entirely sure.  I’d like to wait to see how the years ends up, especially as the Bills take on 2 Super Bowl contenders.  

But my point is completely valid.   The “anyone is better than McDermott” is completely flawed logic and yes I will die on that on that hill.  

Again though, you want to sacrifice years from “Josh Allen’s prime.”  And what’s the “payoff?”  We already have had teams make a run in the postseason, so essentially it could be a lateral move at best.  

"The delusions of grandeur are something with this fanbase“

36 years of fan hood has done that to me. I can't even imagine what it has done to fans of 50, 60 years... Yikes 😬

Go Bills!!

He has no idea.  And keep in mind, this is the same owner who hired and fired a number of coaches and GM’s en route to a playoff drought that’s closing in on the Bills 17 years of futility.  

I’ve asked countless fans who should replace McDermott.  They have absolutely no clue.  Here are the responses:

- Ben Johnson

- Let Brandon Beane make the hire

🤣

It's not their job to know that answer.  I could ask this board a bunch of questions about things in my field too and I doubt any of them would have a damn clue about that either.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

Wrong again.  But I guess because you say so, it makes it correct?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-contract-extensions-gm-brandon-beane-hc-sean-mcdermott-2027#

Where in any of that does it say if one gets fired so does the other?  Just because they signed at the same time doesn't mean anything.  It just means they have the same contract length if both see it through in full.  

Both guys would be evaluated separately on their own performance.  Doing anything else is just poor business decision.

• Like (+1) 1

A run? Delusions of grandeur? Come on man… You’ve got the rose tints on with the bolded statement. 

Sorry but I’ve defended McD plenty of times and not once can I defend the playoff showings. They just aren’t there. Guy is 4-5 so where’s this “run” happened? 

From those 4 wins 2 were back to back which we barely edged a win, only one we actually played sound fundamental football for a win; New England. 

So out with New England, the other wins are as follows:

A poor showing against Indy and Phillip Rivers who literally lost themselves the game after being down 14 to start the 4th quarter. 

Baltimore. Another poor showing. Where if it wasn’t for Taron’s pick-6 the game is likely tied and who knows what happens afterward. Offense sputtered all day and allowed a team to start moving the ball in the second half yet again. 

Lasty, Miami. Barely scraped by a Skylar Thompson led team (😂) where we almost collapsed at the end of the game and just managed to kick a FG after getting 55 yards in an amazing 29 seconds. (Who knew you could score with that much time…)

He’s been a great regular season coach. I will give him that, even with this season included. Post season is anything but. In every single one of those three games Buffalo was easily the better team and we barely won thanks to late game errors by the opposition. 

There is worse than McDermott. There’s also better. Who knows what you got but there is absolutely struggles on this team where the product on the field doesn’t match. There’s at least one massive coaching blunder each season that results in a loss. Which in turn has costed us the #1 seed on two separate occasions. 

To win a superbowl the margins for error, as I’m sure you’re able to comprehend, have to be virtually non-existent. Seems there’s always a margin for error. That is a huge problem. 

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Edited by BBFL

I've never understood the fear of firing McDermott.    Like we could have a return to the drought years.   After the music city miracle, you know what coach was going to have any long-term success with an aging immobile Drew Bledsoe, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, EJ Manuel, journeyman Fitzmagic, last year Kyle Orton and Tyrod Taylor?   Your answer is nobody.  Did any of these guys flourish after leaving Buffalo and going to new coaching, no.   And before anyone says but McD ended the drought with Tyrod and got us the playoffs, I would respond we were 9-7 under Marrone, followed by 8-8 and 7-8 before Rex was fired.  We went to the playoffs with a 9-7 record with Tyrod, it wasn't some dramatic turnaround in record.  It was the same record as Marrone and a one game improvement over Rex's first year.

The reason for our success is we finally got a franchise QB.   Now it took 35 years after we drafted Kelly in 1983 to get Josh in 2018.   So you take a basically .500 team(Marrone-Rex years) and add a franchise QB you should improve.  So, if your happy just going the playoffs and losing, then McD is your guy.  I'm in the camp that he isn't the coach to take us to the promised land, and that will always be the goal, getting back to, and finally winning the SB.  30 plus years is a long time to wait, and I don't want to waste Josh on somebody who has shown he gets out coached in the big moments.   I have a bigger fear of wasting Josh, than losing McDermott would mean a return to the drought years.   Josh isn't the QBs listed above, he's light years ahead of those guys.

Edited by billsfan714
typ
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.