Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He has no idea.  And keep in mind, this is the same owner who hired and fired a number of coaches and GM’s en route to a playoff drought that’s closing in on the Bills 17 years of futility.  

I’ve asked countless fans who should replace McDermott.  They have absolutely no clue.  Here are the responses:

- Ben Johnson

- Let Brandon Beane make the hire

🤣

Bill Belichick for me if he and the Pats part ways. Bill would be a massive upgrade over Sean. The record speaks for itself when he has an elite level QB. He is also a much better DC than Sean and his defenses know how to make a stop in big moments. He will want to stick it to Kraft twice a year and he owns the Jets.

• Like (+1) 3

Wrong again.  But I guess because you say so, it makes it correct?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-contract-extensions-gm-brandon-beane-hc-sean-mcdermott-2027#

Exactly what part am I wrong about?  Beane came in after McD, Whaley did the drafting and was promptly fired.   They didn’t come together.  So YOU are wrong.   Yes, they signed extensions at the same time, as I stated.  You have drawn a connection to them in your head that doesn’t exist.

He has no idea.  And keep in mind, this is the same owner who hired and fired a number of coaches and GM’s en route to a playoff drought that’s closing in on the Bills 17 years of futility.  

I’ve asked countless fans who should replace McDermott.  They have absolutely no clue.  Here are the responses:

- Ben Johnson

- Let Brandon Beane make the hire

🤣

How can anyone answer the question without knowing who will be available?  Harbaugh may or may not be available to the NFL, Bellicheck may or may not be on the market, Ben Johnson may or may not be on the market, etc.   There are multiple candidates, but without knowing who is actually available, one can’t answer the question.   I think the obvious thing about it all, McDermott is not a guy that many believe can get the job done. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Bill Belichick for me if he and the Pats part ways. Bill would be a massive upgrade over Sean. The record speaks for itself when he has an elite level QB. He is also a much better DC than Sean and his defenses know how to make a stop in big moments. He will want to stick it to Kraft twice a year and he owns the Jets.

that would a shocking storyline

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

How can anyone answer the question without knowing who will be available?  Harbaugh may or may not be available to the NFL, Bellicheck may or may not be on the market, Ben Johnson may or may not be on the market, etc.   There are multiple candidates, but without knowing who is actually available, one can’t answer the question.   I think the obvious thing about it all, McDermott is not a guy that many believe can get the job done. 

correct, as you mentioned there are a lot of unknowns which goes back to my original point that there is larger risk with making the move than a lot of fans want to believe.

I’ve seen a lot of local media members make this same point which fans have dismissed.  

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It would be a horrendous move to hire Belichick.  We’d also be looking at competing changing out most of the defensive personnel.  

Plus, look at how Bill has addressed the offense the past few years.  You want Josh McDaniel as OC?

If you think McDermott is conservative on 4th down situations wait till you see how often Bill punts

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It would be a horrendous move to hire Belichick.  We’d also be looking at competing changing out most of the defensive personnel.  

Plus, look at how Bill has addressed the offense the past few years.  You want Josh McDaniel as OC?

If you think McDermott is conservative on 4th down situations wait till you see how often Bill punts

Why are you so afraid of change?

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I disagree with you. I will trust a HC who wins big time. 9 Super Bowl appearances along with 6 championships. You want an upgrade over Sean then Bill is it. If McDaniel is the OC who would really care if the Bills are celebrating a Lombardi. We will never get there with McDermott and hiring an OC as a first time HC is unknown. You know what you are getting with Bill especially when he has a franchise QB to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Who available? Guys will take an NFL HC gig with Josh. That’s the point. You don’t have to get a guy who’s already an HC or one with experience…

You try. If it doesn’t work, you move on and cut your losses. It’s been that way for years. Still is. 

30 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not afraid of change… I don’t see a 71 year-old coach who has floundered over the past 4 season to be an upgrade over who the Bills have now

If he's willing to cede control of personnel to someone who knows what they're doing, he'd be a huge upgrade.  He won't, though - he will insist on full roster control which is the main reason his seat is so hot right now.  But I'm not talking about this idea, specifically - I'm talking about your repeated expression of abject fear about moving on from our low-ceiling HC.

13 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

McD must promote one of his guys to DC over the bye. Let Washington have another crack at DC. Give the up-and-coming Babich some experience. McD is not cutting it as DC.

Ah yes. Put them in the seat of fire so there’s an out… Smart! 

this-is-using-your-head-smart.gif

51 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I disagree with you. I will trust a HC who wins big time. 9 Super Bowl appearances along with 6 championships. You want an upgrade over Sean then Bill is it. If McDaniel is the OC who would really care if the Bills are celebrating a Lombardi. We will never get there with McDermott and hiring an OC as a first time HC is unknown. You know what you are getting with Bill especially when he has a franchise QB to work with.

Well this will never happen, so we won’t have to worry.

Just now, JohnNord said:

Well this will never happen, so we won’t have to worry.

You are probably right. But if Pegula wants to make a big splash with the new stadium, raised ticket prices and PSL fees coming up then hiring Bill would be a huge hire. Having a coach with his track record of winning with a franchise QB would excite the fanbase. Ben Johnson, Joe Brady or any other potential first time HC won't do that.

• Vomit 1

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If he's willing to cede control of personnel to someone who knows what they're doing, he'd be a huge upgrade.  He won't, though - he will insist on full roster control which is the main reason his seat is so hot right now.  But I'm not talking about this idea, specifically - I'm talking about your repeated expression of abject fear about moving on from our low-ceiling HC.

There’s no fear -  just a difference of opinion.  I wouldn’t call him “low ceiling” by any means and I think his body of work shows that.   I’m also not alone.  Many others in the national media and local media have also rated him highly.  

People here want to pretend that McDermott is “Dick Jauron with Josh Allen,” when that’s not the case.    Even if you want him gone pretending he hasn’t been successful or “low ceiling” is being reactionary and caught in the moment which about 80% of the posts here are.  Everyone wants a silver bullet to solve the problems on the team, but I’m quite sure transitioning from McDermott to another coach is the right choice.  

As far as McDermott goes, I’m not 100% behind him.  I have concerns like a lot of fans do.  I’m waiting to see how the next 5 games 

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You are probably right. But if Pegula wants to make a big splash with the new stadium, raised ticket prices and PSL fees coming up then hiring Bill would be a huge hire. Having a coach with his track record of winning with a franchise QB would excite the fanbase. Ben Johnson, Joe Brady or any other potential first time HC won't do that.

Your marketing logic is flawed.  How do you expect fans to get excited to hire a despised 70 year-old coach that has a reputation of being carried by Tom Brady?

Also Bill isn’t going to come without personnel control.  Do you want Brandon Beane gone as well?  This is by far the worst coaching idea I’ve seen here 

46 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Who available? Guys will take an NFL HC gig with Josh. That’s the point. You don’t have to get a guy who’s already an HC or one with experience…

You try. If it doesn’t work, you move on and cut your losses. It’s been that way for years. Still is. 

This strategy has worked very well for Carolina the past 5 years 👌

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

correct, as you mentioned there are a lot of unknowns which goes back to my original point that there is larger risk with making the move than a lot of fans want to believe.

I’ve seen a lot of local media members make this same point which fans have dismissed.  

There is close to zero risk. McDermott is the definition of a replacement-level coach.  

• Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.