Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t know that I like him but I’d give him one more year after this one.  If we had one of Milano, Daquan jones, tre white back we’d probably be 7-3 right now even with the ugly offense 

new coach likely means blowing up the whole roster 

With or without McDermott there is going to be significant change to the roster. Along with upgrading the talent they have to get younger. To many over 30 and nearing the end of their careers or will be on the decline. The core will be somewhat different around Allen in 2024. They can't and won't try to run it back with the same team. It's not working now, and it definitely won't work in the future as many key players get older.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Honestly, no. 

I love the guy, and I'm extremely grateful for what he's done for this franchise.  But as an outsider looking in, it definitely seems like he's lost the locker room.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, but he runs such an opaque organization that I no longer feel bad about reading tea leaves and drawing inferences based on what we see in public.  And besides "missing the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen" was always a bright red line for me that would indicate something having gone very wrong with this team. 

We're going to have a new OC next year, and probably a new ST guy.  Ownership should insist that we bring in a proper DC.  If we're going to have an all-new group of coordinators, why not start over with a new HC too?  We know the roster needs a bit of mini-rebuild.  Now's the time to make a change.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

So I voted yes. Simply because I truly think the only way he saves his job is if the Bills make the playoffs. And at 5-5 now and with the current schedule of teams left to play in KC, Philly, Dallas, LA Chargers and Miami that would be a heck of a run to go 5-2 or better down the stretch and make the playoffs. Talk about an enjoyable run. 

same here.

i think mcd and beano are gonzo unless we have at least 2 good performances in the playoffs.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, Logic said:

I'm trying to get a feel for where Bills fans stand on this issue this morning.

Simple Yes or No question.

No. I think he is a good coach but I think he has gone a little mental this season and he has no answers.  I also think he wants the wrong thing with the offense. Josh's problem this year is mental and I think that directly stems from McD being in his head and wanting to run the offense a certain way.  I think McD took the special out of Josh.  Time to go.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

No. I think he is a good coach but I think he has gone a little mental this season and he has no answers.  I also think he wants the wrong thing with the offense. Josh's problem this year is mental and I think that directly stems from McD being in his head and wanting to run the offense a certain way.  I think McD took the special out of Josh.  Time to go.

You are correct.

He needs to go.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, Donuts and Doritos said:

Who are we replacing him with?

Another coach.  It isn't my job to figure that out.  People act as if McDermott is the only coach in the world that can lead this team.  Is it possible we get a worse coach?  Yeah, but it's also possible we get a coach that is better.  McD isn't god.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Another coach.  It isn't my job to figure that out.  People act as if McDermott is the only coach in the world that can lead this team.  Is it possible we get a worse coach?  Yeah, but it's also possible we get a coach that is better.  McD isn't god.

Simple question, who are we hiring? Never said McD was a God or even good (in fact not sticking up for him at all). Just curious who folks are thinking about replacing him w/. A lot of people threw out what sound like some really good options (Det or Hou OCs or Cinci DC). But I get it, your more in the just get somebody, anybody not named McD camp. 👍

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

3 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Simple question, who are we hiring? Never said McD was a God or even good (in fact not sticking up for him at all). Just curious who folks are thinking about replacing him w/. A lot of people threw out what sound like some really good options (Det or Hou OCs or Cinci DC). But I get it, your more in the just get somebody, anybody not named McD camp. 👍

That would be up to Pegula or Beane if he doesn't get fired as well. The names that have been mentioned already on this board are probably what the Bills will look to interview. But we (fans) have no idea. McDermott might not even get fired. If the Bills fail to make the playoffs, I could see Pegula giving him the 2024 season, but his seat would probably be hot if he failed again.

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It's going to take me a minute to process this.  Sub-culture of the culture processing the process.

It means that there was a divide amongst the offensive players centered around Dorcey. He's hoping for unity. But he said it in a management-speak way. He was one sliver of a step away from saying "We need to circle back to promote synergy amongst the organization's sub-units to increase bandwidth."

On 11/14/2023 at 11:07 AM, Logic said:

I'm trying to get a feel for where Bills fans stand on this issue this morning.

Simple Yes or No question.

Why would you create a poll mid season asking us to vote for NEXT season. I can’t vote since I don’t know what the end result of THIS season is. 

Do you want McD to be coach of the 2023 Week 11 Buffalo Bills is the question to ask. That is a simple yes/no. Your question has too many unknowns. 

If we run the table and make the AFCCG, 99% of the people who answer no now will likely change their minds. 

typlcal poll the day after a tough loss.   results not relevant.  

After 20 years of suck, I for one do not want to start over with a new coaching staff , which will lead to a completely re tooled roster, since Beane will probably go with McD.   Which means you are advocating for clearing the building and starting over?   

That is insane.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.