I’m scared to fire McDermott.

McBean

1 hour ago, McBean said:

“lOoK AT ouR pREVioUs cOaChes mAN. NOt woRTH THe RiSk.”

Let’s address this coward mentality. Conservative mentality. No dog mentality. The soft mentality the Buffalo media has accepted along with some fans here.

Bills previous head coaches in the 2000’s and their QB’s up until McClappy was hired.

Wade- Flutie and Johnson

Williams- Johnson and Bledsoe

Mularkey- Bledsoe

Jauron- Losman and Checkdown Edwards

Gailey- Fitz

Marrone- Manuel and Orton

Rex- Tee Rod

McClap- Tee Rod and Allen

You notice something? Yeah, all of the prior coaches had horrible QB’s and lost here. Shocker!

Myth: “He (McClap) changed the culture 

Fact: We had a negative point differential and a soft schedule in 2017 when the drought was broken. He punted in OT against Indy and was playing for the tie. A fumble led to a win. Also, a guy named Andy Dalton threw a pass that was nothing short of a miracle to get us in. The following season we stunk and got lucky to land Allen. Ever since, the clown coach has hid behind his star QB. Look at the terrible losses over the years. At JAX, at NE, ran over by Jonathan Taylor, Houston playoff meltdown, curb stomped by Cincy last playoffs…

Myth: “Let’s fire Dorsey. It’s his fault.”

Fact:  Last year it was fire Frazier. It’s his fault. Leslie got the blame. Now, some of you are falling right into the same trap this Czar is going to spew at years end. Reality is if we hire a bright offensive mind who flourishes here, that guy is now gone in 2 years or less and we are stuck doing the same thing over. O, and even a great OC can’t cover up your clown HC horrible in game decision making. Your OC can’t cover up the obsession with defensive picks and big money to that side of the ball. Your OC can’t cover up the conservative scared coaching approaches like punting before half or kicking field goals down 2 scores. YOUR OC CANT COVER UP 13 SECONDS.

In conclusion, I’m sick and freakin tired of the scared Buffalo media who won’t call this guy out. Guys like Adam Schein and Ross Tucker don’t hesitate to address the incompetence of McClap. Last comments…

Jerry Kraus told Doug Collins to hit the bricks and promoted a guy named Phil Jackson to get the Bulls over the hump led by a guy named Michael Jordan. Did it work? 6 rings boss.

Warriors told Mark Jackson to hit the bricks and hired a guy named Steve Kerr. Did it work? 4 rings.

Brass Balls Howie Roseman told his SUPER BOWL WINNING COACH DOUG PEDERSON YOU’RE FIRED PAL TWO YEARS POST LOMBARDI! Did it work? Eagles #1 team in the league. Super Bowl appearance last year. Humming on offense. Sirriani aggressive coach who could coach circles around McClap. Incredible offensive line. Weapons galore. Has made Jalen Hurts into an MVP.

You guys want to sit back and take this crap? Be my guest. I’ve pounded the table for 3 years to get this bozo out of WNY. Now, some are finally thinking I’m not crazy. You’re seeing it in front of your eyes folks. We are wasting a Hall of Fame QB. We are wasting time. We are wasting our best chance ever to win a Super Bowl title. To get this dark cloud over with. To bring a trophy home to WNY. For Bills Mafia across the world. How can we better our chances? Simple…

Terry, please God do the right thing and FIRE SEAN MCDERMOTT.

You sound fun. Wanna grab a beer later?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

You make some valid points, but stop banging your head against a brick wall.  Terry is not firing McD this year, next year or any other year in the near future. 

It’s certainly possible in the somewhat near future if things don’t turn around quickly. Coaches do get fired in the NFL - pretty frequently in reality. I agree I think it would take a real downturn for T Pegs to make that move. We don’t know his tolerance level, but I think it would take a lot more than a mediocre season and missing the playoffs. To me, that would get the typical changes like sacrificing a coordinator. Sean’s seat may get warm then , but that’s it. You’d likely need multiple seasons of poor results. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Fox/Kubiak is the shining example of why you dump McDermott imo

For sure with that success.

I also think Flores/McDaniel and Zimmer/OConnell are great examples too.

Defensive coaches that hit their ceiling, and the team (and QB) improves under a new Offensive "unknown".

Only reason to not do it now is: Fear. Which is right up there with playing not to lose. Sounds very McD.

• Like (+1) 2

How much guaranteed money did McD get with the extension? Would he really be opposed to getting canned.  Seems like a solid dude, changed the culture but isn’t going to take us close to a Lombardi.  If we miss playoffs and he’s still coaching, Josh will forever be Phillips Rivers 2. Unfortunately I see that happening and that is what makes this season especially depressing at this moment. I still hate the fact he authorized the hanging of the Lombardi in field house.  #stefisright. Go Bills 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Defensive coaches that hit their ceiling, and the team (and QB) improves under a new Offensive "unknown".

Only reason to not do it now is: Fear. Which is right up there with playing not to lose. Sounds very McD.

McD is the epitome of playing scared to win. I hated that it happened but Bengals decision to pass on that last drive and pick up 20 was respectable. McClappy would never do that. Like bucs game, we would run it three plays and punt

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

How much guaranteed money did McD get with the extension? Would he really be opposed to getting canned.  Seems like a solid dude, changed the culture but isn’t going to take us close to a Lombardi.  If we miss playoffs and he’s still coaching, Josh will forever be Phillips Rivers 2. Unfortunately I see that happening and that is what makes this season especially depressing at this moment. I still hate the fact he authorized the hanging of the Lombardi in field house.  #stefisright. Go Bills 

I believe coach contracts are 100% guaranteed. Getting fired is more a hit on their brand than on their life and paycheck.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So I am not a McDermott guy at all but I do think a lot of the guys including Allen (probably not Diggs tho) like and respect him, so that's a reason to not fire him. But IMO you are correct that there are fewer reasons not to do it w each passing season. Chief among them for me is the fact that we are looking at dumping a bunch of old contracts and likely doing a reload on both sides of the ball which would seem like the ideal time to get a fresh voice in there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

So I am not a McDermott guy at all but I do think a lot of the guys including Allen (probably not Diggs tho) like and respect him, so that's a reason to not fire him. But IMO you are correct that there are fewer reasons not to do it w each passing season. Chief among them for me is the fact that we are looking at dumping a bunch of old contracts and likely doing a reload on both sides of the ball which would seem like the ideal time to get a fresh voice in there.

Great point on the player personnel changes that are on the horizon.

Once guys like Poyer, Hyde, and Tre White are gone, half of McDs support will be gone.

• Agree 2

I think most here, myself included, talk about the fear of firing McBeane not because we are afraid to jump into the abyss and we cannot possibly upgrade from the greatness of McD. It is because Terry Pegula has proven himself to be one of the worst owners in all of professional sports. And THE WORST owner in NHL history. 

Allen or not, McD did better than his predecessors. Jauron, Mularkey, Rex, and Marrone would have been bad no matter who their QB was. I think Gailey and Wade are tweeners between that group and the current staff.  Better QB play would have helped a lot.

McD did well here. It is time to move on. He has run his course. Under different ownership I could have gotten on that train sooner. 

Also, spare me the "I am a fearless dawg and you guys are just sissy little cowards". This is a sports message board, not a HS pregame speech. 

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What have mcdaniel and oconnell won? Neither have been to a championship game.  Neither have even won a playoff game.  Mcdaniel has 1 win against a team with a winning record.  

13 seconds really did a number on this fandom.  Many people just can't move on and it is coloring everything they think about with McDermott.  

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

You make some valid points, but stop banging your head against a brick wall.  Terry is not firing McD this year, next year or any other year in the near future. 

If he didn't have a new stadium on the way, I'd agree 100% with you.

New stadium changes the dynamic and timing.  There's no Steelers patience with that on the way.  You want a team that's been in or very near the Super Bowl as you head into that stadium, with peak interest and attention.  The move from good to great.  You do not want a middling team that sputters out in WC or Divisional games, where you fire the coach in Season #1 or #2 in your new stadium and spend the first five years of your new stadium rebuilding under a new head coach.

The time to do any firing is 2024 so the new coach has at least one year of building under the belt.  

I have felt McDermott's seat is hot, regardless of the extension, and Beane's FO is safe.    

14 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

McD is the epitome of playing scared to win. I hated that it happened but Bengals decision to pass on that last drive and pick up 20 was respectable. McClappy would never do that. Like bucs game, we would run it three plays and punt

It literally happened in the giants game except knox didnt come down with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.