Montez Sweat Massive New Contract

Process

20 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Where else were they gonna spend the money? They still have a ridiculous amount of space and have the ability to sign any free agent they want quarterbacks included. 

There are holes all over that team. There was absolutely no urgency or need to spend that money in November. Cap space can dry up real quick in free agency.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

In the past year the bears have 

- Traded a top 40 pick for a DE who has never had double digits sacks, and paid him $25M /yr

-Signed Edmunds to a contract paying him $18M /yr

- Traded the #32 pick for Chase Claypool only to basically cut him a year later 

😳

And there are fans here that say Brandon Beane is a terrible GM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, QCity said:

There are holes all over that team. There was absolutely no urgency or need to spend that money in November. Cap space can dry up real quick in free agency.

They have like 3-5 guys making more than 5 million on their roster. They have one of the best cap situations in the league. Until you drop 40 million on a quarterback you have all the money you need. That’s why San Fran basically has a pro bowler at every starting spot and starting level players at backup.  Sweat and Edmunds contracts don’t hurt Chicago in the slightest bit. They can sign anyone willing to play there the next 2-3 years. 

quick edit, I don’t know their actual salary cap info I’m just guesstimating

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, QCity said:

There is urgency if you’re a GM or coach who’s afraid he’ll be fired if the team shows no progress this year.

19 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

And there are fans here that say Brandon Beane is a terrible GM.

I can’t fault Poles for signing Edmunds. They had a need. 

His whole problem is the amount of money. He doesn’t scream to me as a guy who is making the be all end all personnel decisions, that’s something a coach usually provides him to acquire. That deal and this Sweat one is insane. If you put that dollar down as the minimum to pay I doubt you would see any more than 2 or 3 teams talking to Edmunds, Sweat or their Agents. 

The Claypool one is rough too. But washes out seeing as they managed to get a talented downfield threat in Moore anyway… If they didn’t and then cut Claypool within the same time period. Yeah. You’d really have to wonder what he’s doing to give Eberflus the personnel he wants. 

Big picture though… Finances make or break your team and the money always went to the QB/OLine and Pass Rushers…

But guys who say that % of the cap share were guys who saw a hefty amount of double teams and still came away with 12/15/20 sack ballpark numbers in a season…

Sweat has had a load of talent to occupy other portions of the offensive line and still comes away with pedestrian numbers for a “premier pass rusher”. (I say premier because that’s exactly what the contract is…)

Another situation where an absolute stud of a QB lands a guy a job somewhere else in the NFL. 

Edited by BBFL

42 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I’ve seen a ton of Washington games living in the area.  Montez is very solid.  He’s definitely been better than Chase Young.  Not sure he deserves that kind of money but he’s good. 

He is and paying a little extra to get him with an qb that will be on a rookie contract is understandable.  You see it all the time with non desirable destinations.  However, giving up a high second round pick for him when you could’ve waited until free agency is why it’s a poor move.

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

They have like 3-5 guys making more than 5 million on their roster. They have one of the best cap situations in the league. Until you drop 40 million on a quarterback you have all the money you need. That’s why San Fran basically has a pro bowler at every starting spot and starting level players at backup.  Sweat and Edmunds contracts don’t hurt Chicago in the slightest bit. They can sign anyone willing to play there the next 2-3 years. 

quick edit, I don’t know their actual salary cap info I’m just guesstimating

Spending money just because you have it is not shrewd. It's less about the money and more about throwing away a high 2nd round pick. This is going on a tangent. My original point was that, yes, it is completely fair to judge a GM on his two largest contracts.

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

There is urgency if you’re a GM or coach who’s afraid he’ll be fired if the team shows no progress this year.

Of course, but if that's the true reason for these moves it's a disaster in the making.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Sweat has elite traits…his production has been somewhat disappointing but that Washington team is a joke and Del Rio is an abysmal defensive coordinator.  He is young and has a lot of upside.

He has upside, sure. But the Bears are banking on unlocking it. And if you are talking teams who are a joke....

Greg Rousseau in 3 years

Beane: Greg,we wanna keep you long term. We were thinking a 4 year deal worth $75 million guaranteed with $57 million guaranteed

Rousseau: I love playing for you. But I can't do that. Montez Sweat got $98 million from the Bears 

Beane: The Bears are also dumber than Harry and Lloyd soooo

Edited by Buffalo03

55 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He is and paying a little extra to get him with an qb that will be on a rookie contract is understandable.  You see it all the time with non desirable destinations.  However, giving up a high second round pick for him when you could’ve waited until free agency is why it’s a poor move.

There’s no telling that the Bears could have signed Sweat in FA and they have zero pass rush and really very little DL talent at all.  He’s certainly better than what they could get with the 40th pick in the draft, albeit more expensive. They are still going to be loaded with draft picks in April and they just filled a big hole.

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

There’s no telling that the Bears could have signed Sweat in FA and they have zero pass rush and really very little DL talent at all.  He’s certainly better than what they could get with the 40th pick in the draft, albeit more expensive. They are still going to be loaded with draft picks in April and they just filled a big hole.

But on that deal they HAVE to get the maximum out of his potential.

27 minutes ago, mannc said:

It definitely takes competition out of the equation but I wouldn’t minimize the value of having a second round pick on a rookie deal.  I think rolling the dice waiting until the offseason to try and be the team that slightly overpays is a smarter move.  Heck.  You might even to be able to find a better DEvfree agent for similar money.

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

What in the world has this guy done in this league to justify that kind of contract?  I mean, we'll have to wait to see the final breakdown of the contract, but man.....  At those number, for that level of player, you can kiss AJ Epenesa goodbye for sure now.  If AJ continues his level of play that he's had this season, even though it has been a bit of up and down at times, he's smiling looking at this contract for sure.

Please let someone overpay for him! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.