Montez Sweat Massive New Contract

Process

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

They’re not a defensive end away from being competitive. Any team that doesn’t have an established starting QB has to find that guy first before beefing up the roster, that’s why these other bottom feeders are sellers, they need cheap rookie contracts. And I still don’t believe the Bears would’ve had to outbid some other team in free agency and arrive at a number that was MORE than what they just signed him for. 

I agree 100% the Bears stink. I don’t really understand this move either, they must really love the guy.

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

They’re not a defensive end away from being competitive. Any team that doesn’t have an established starting QB has to find that guy first before beefing up the roster, that’s why these other bottom feeders are sellers, they need cheap rookie contracts. And I still don’t believe the Bears would’ve had to outbid some other team in free agency and arrive at a number that was MORE than what they just signed him for. 

I don’t think it’s an overpay. Sweat is very good and plays a premier position. He’s also young. Trading a second was very questionable, but don’t assume they wouldn’t have had serious competition for his services in the offseason. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t think it’s an overpay. Sweat is very good and plays a premier position. He’s also young. Trading a second was very questionable, but don’t assume they wouldn’t have had serious competition for his services in the offseason. 

It’s an overpay when you have to give up a premium draft pick on top of extending him for top dollar. This isn’t a Von Miller in his prime type of player and I don’t think his contract would have exceeded what he got from the Bears if he did hit free agency. 

On 11/4/2023 at 2:31 PM, QCity said:

Unfair to judge Poles on the two biggest contracts of his career? If your GM spends $170M on two players I'd say that's fair game for criticism. 

Edmunds is in the first year of his contract and Sweat just got there. I believe it’s the GM’s second season there. Give it some time. No matter how strongly some of you feels he’s terrible, IMO, it’s too early for that label. Some of you have been known to be wrong in your assessments of players only to see them prove you all wrong. Really wrong. 
Someone here posted he/she could do a better job. Doubt it. Highly doubt it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.