We're overhyping the Bengals

Success

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

This is the “embarrassing defeatist talk” I referenced. 

Talent wise, there is no reason that should happen.  It would be a major red flag reflection on Allen and the coaching staff. 

Let's see what actually happens.  

That may turn out to have been prescient.  

As long as we wear the proper cleats, we will be fine.😉

Have a feeling they have been preparing for this game much longer than just this week. I expect more of a run game early on O to get a feel for the game unless we are down early. Then I expect them to unleash hell (Allen) on them. No holds bar, full on Superman and Dorsey just to sit back and watch the JA show! 😁

Bills will win this game!

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

They bullied us and made us look soft in the 5 quarters we played them.  Hard to feel confident.  

Well part of that was the D we played. We have them free yards every play.  I know we play similar but this D is nastier and more aggressive-even with the injuries.  I’m not say we will beat them with our D but won’t as easily give them the yards.  

we need to score 31 to win is my prediction   If Frazier was still coordinating that would be 40+

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If we can't score points on the Bengals we have an issue. Because their defense does have vulnerabilities. 

Their offense is humming right now and I don't give our undermanned D a great shot at stopping them.

This. Although their D coordinator always shows up in big games. Can’t say the same for our coaching. I expect him to have a great plan for Josh and Diggs and force us to do things we aren’t comfortable with. 

As far as our defense goes, I agree with you, we’re way too banged up to hang with them. Even when we were healthy, we can’t hang with them, hence the two matchups last year. I was at the Damar game. It was quickly about to be 14-3 when he went down. It’s not being defeatist to say they’re the worst possible matchup for us (besides SF). We don’t have answers for their WRs. Going to be a long night. 

I don't see the Bills defense slowing down the Bengals offense. Burrows gets the ball off very fast and hits the soft spots in the zones very well, negating the Bills' strength, its pass rush, and exploiting its weakness, especially Dodson (when he's on the field), Jackson, and Taron, who has been uneven this year. They also can run the ball with Mosert, and it seems the Bills always give up at least two big runs a game. 

I have more hope on the other side of the ball. Their DC is impressive and worries me, but if Allen is on, he's allowed to run, and his receivers show up, this could be a very entertaining shoot out. Bills win in this case because Allen has more moxie, heart and sheer godliness than Burrow. 

5 hours ago, folz said:

Yes, every season is a new season, and a regular season game does not equate to a playoff game, but do you really think there is no revenge factor for this one? The Bills had to hear all off-season how the Bengals have surpassed them, are a tougher team, beat up on the Bills, etc. when the Bills know they were a depleted squad at the time, both roster-wise, and emotionally. They were not at their best by a long shot. Do you think Josh wants to hear how Burrow has surpassed him? Do you think Stefon doesn't want revenge for that playoff loss and will want to outdo Chase & Co., etc. We won't hear any of the Bills talk about it, but I think the revenge/payback/prove ourselves angle will play a big part in this one.

Sure, this is a pick-em game, because both teams are very good. But I'm not buying the Bengals are just too good, match up too well against us, are too tough crap either. I think the Bills will WANT this one more and still have the dogs to get it done. Last year was last year. Time for the 2023 team to show that no one has their number.

Go Bills!

I think that stuff is usually more for fans. Do I think the Bills want to win this one? Of course. Is there additional motivation because the Bengals are a top team and the Bills haven’t looked good against them recently? I sure hope so. But that’s it. Nothing to get “revenge” for and nothing else to make this game a bigger deal than the above. 

I finally watched the Bucs game.  If they play with the same offensive tempo and pace… there’s few teams that can stop them.  Allen and the line were completely dialed in. 

The defense is lacking… we’re missing 3 extremely important players at each level of the defense.  That just is what that is.  They seem to be getting better with what they have.. but there’s only so much you can do. 

bottom line: absolutely no reason to think this game is a blowout for Cinci.  Posters thinking that haven’t watched the Bills play. 

I expect the Bills to be 5-4 late Sunday night. I also expect the Bills to beat the Broncos and Jets to get to 7-4 heading to Philly. 7-4 with 6 games left. 3-3 gives them 10 wins and a probable playoffs spot. Maybe a WC though. 4-2 in the final 6 probably gets them the AFCE. 

we need to win in the trenches.  on D we are vulnerable, but if something clever gets schemed up we have a shot.

on o, we can and should run lots of direct stuff, under center runs, and set up play action.

if we hammer them w the run and extend drives they will fold.

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This. Although their D coordinator always shows up in big games. Can’t say the same for our coaching. I expect him to have a great plan for Josh and Diggs and force us to do things we aren’t comfortable with. 

As far as our defense goes, I agree with you, we’re way too banged up to hang with them. Even when we were healthy, we can’t hang with them, hence the two matchups last year. I was at the Damar game. It was quickly about to be 14-3 when he went down. It’s not being defeatist to say they’re the worst possible matchup for us (besides SF). We don’t have answers for their WRs. Going to be a long night. 

We weren't healthy in either game last year unfortunately either. I'd actually like to see us play Cincy with something that even approaches our first string defense. Not saying we'd hold them but we'd at least have a fighting chance. 

This is the case with many of the posters here who just want an excuse if the Bills lose and have many here thinking the Bills are playing the most complete team in the NFL.  The same will be said when the Bills play the Chiefs, Eagles, Dallas & LA, explaining one of the following:

• that their opponents just found their groove,
  • WR's too fast
  • QB's in the zone
  • bad matchup
  • Bills emotionally drained...... 

The Bengals D has been bad and they have 1.5 quality wins (SF and maybe Seattle who they put up all of 17 points on and twice were inside the 10 yard line the last 3 minutes and couldn't score).

The defeatist attitude is ridiculous.  

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Let's see what actually happens.  

That may turn out to have been prescient.  

Sure, it could .. maybe people who have some strange doom complex can provide more detail as to why they think this will happen … or they can just make themselves feel better by posting negativity, absent explanation, about their team.  

I actually wouldn’t pick us to win this game if I had to make a choice.   I absolutely think we can, but we haven’t shown anything in terms of player execution, consistency and coaching this year, or against this team, that makes me confident in that.  

…but I’m not going to plaster social media with “this might get ugly” posts so that I can cope better.   This team deserves better than that and if they want to be taken seriously, will come out and win Sunday Night. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If there’s anything we’ve learned in the NFL this year it’s that whatever you think is going to happen probably won’t happen. While I count myself amongst those who’re expecting a beating it might just turn out to be the Bills who are the ones holding the hammer. I like that they’ve had a mini-bye to get ready.
Go Bills! 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Here’s the deal with the Bengals they got the 49ers at the perfect time on a short week and Brock Purdy continued his really bad play recently.
The Bengals are a solid football team that is very good against the pass the way you beat them is to hammer on their dline with your oline see the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens who seem to own them. 
The Bills can definitely win this game. They need to run the ball and get TDs not field goals in the red zone. 
On D Ed Oliver needs a big game and the team has to tackle well.

This is the ultimate swing game Bills win they have an excellent shot at being 8-3 going to Philly…the lose and it’s back to square where every game is a grind. 

I would hardly describe our OL as a hammer however ….

34 -17 Bengals.  I have what some people might call a good sense of reality.  I'm more embarrassed by the callouts of those who dismiss reality.  You have to be a real solid block noggin to think this defense can stop a good QB, especially now.  I was at the game where Hamlin went down, and I can very easily say they were going to get demolished that day.

Edited by Homey D. Clown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, Homey D. Clown said:

34 -17 Bengals.  I have what some people might call a good sense of reality.  I'm more embarrassed by the callouts of those who dismiss reality.  You have to be a real solid block noggin to think this defense can stop a good QB, especially now.

I have it 38-28 Bengals. I agree with you this will be a hard game to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cincy was struggling early because the qb was dinged, that appears to be in the past.  I think we struggle here…. Just mho!

To have a shot offensively we need to play mistake free, play fast and spread the ball. The issue is the defense.  Can we stop a good offense with all the injuries we have….

Edited by PayDaBill$

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.