TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

I have NEVER seen such a bad bounce game in my life.  

I still can’t get over the trifecta of Allen deflection, pick - Benford deflection, TD - Phillips deflection, 2 pt conversion. 

Add in a muffed recovery, ball bouncing directly back to Baker on a high snap, Phillips facemask… felt like we were cursed last night. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

yes the Bucs caught a ton of breaks/lucky bounces to have a shot at the ending but the Bills allowed it with bad play calls, lack of discipline on defense  and taking their foot off the gas too soon  All trademarks of McDermott

As much as Beane and McD focus on edge rushers and DBs in the draft (and looking like Elam may be a wash) it amazes me that they have not prioritized that 1-T DT spot.

1st we had Star who was on the downward spiral of performance, then Settle and Jones in FA. Jones is fantastic when not injured and Settle is not the answer to anchor this line.

For how important that position is to anchoring this line and making this defense hum, they need to prioritized a young prospect to groom.

Edited by WideNine

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I hope if nothing else the players take ownership of it and reinforce how effective it clearly was, because for whatever reason we did move away from it. Then even after the Bucs crazy lucky ass drive we still stayed away, even though we just needed to last long enough to be able to burn the clock on downs. So we just needed to convert a couple first downs.

Yeah I felt it was pretty palpable that they made the decision of "hey, let's burn clock and play call control" instead of "let's keep attacking" once they built a two score lead. Didn't love that.

The thing is, they can still do the tempo and "getting to the line early" stuff and ALSO bleed the clock down to 01 before they snap it. They need not be mutually exclusive.

If they somehow come out against the Bengals NOT executing this same basic plan (tempo, getting to the line early, spreading things out), I'll be very discouraged. They've been looking for a clear identity on offense all season. This is it. It's clear as day. I hope they see it, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

I know this is way late but in the second half I saw a "First and 18" going on. What was up with that? Did I miss a penalty?  I didn't understand what happened to make the first down that weird combo. Anybody?

I think there was like a weird holding call maybe off of a run down field that moved it to 1st and 12 or 13 maybe then a 5 yard penalty for Offside?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Yeah I felt it was pretty palpable that they made the decision of "hey, let's burn clock and play call control" instead of "let's keep attacking" once they built a two score lead. Didn't love that.

The thing is, they can still do the tempo and "getting to the line early" stuff and ALSO bleed the clock down to 01 before they snap it. They need not be mutually exclusive.

If they somehow come out against the Bengals NOT executing this same basic plan (tempo, getting to the line early, spreading things out), I'll be very discouraged. They've been looking for a clear identity on offense all season. This is it. It's clear as day. I hope they see it, too.

Absolutely, hell a bunch of the time even in the up tempo offense Allen would take enough time breaking down the defense and audibling that he used up most of the playclock. The key is awareness if Josh knows he's got to do it he's shown he's more than capable of making the decisions to keep the clock rolling, plus odds are there's a big playclock on either end of the field telling him how much time he has to burn.

• Like (+1) 1

One specific bright spot from last night wasn't just Davis, but it was the diversity of routes and depth that Davis ran last night. He didn't just have a good game he basically ran all over the field and caught everything thrown his way.

Special shout out to Shakir who seems to have a knack for finding green space. 

Even after I slept on it, I am very angry with Josh and Dorsey for costing me an 11 leg parlay. All they needed to do was throw the ball to Cook twice. One more pass to Cook. ONE! Come on guys.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Except for a certain 3rd-and-goal situation ... followed by a certain 4th-and-goal situation.

I've mentioned it 5-7 times across several threads over the last 12 hours, the 3rd down RPO would have a better outcome if Allen didnt give the ball to Murray.  Allen had one on one with the corner if he takes the ball.

And the 4th down play was a great switch-off from LB to Corner.  It wasn't my favorite play, but the defense did incredibly well there.

Dorsey wasn't perfect, but he was damn good in scheming a game we all wanted.  Everyone said before the game "get tempo, no huddle, spread the ball around, use Kincaid more, use Allen's legs"  And ALL of that was achieved.  Like, every single one.

Did we play conservative on 4th and short?  Yes.  Did we not execute at the goal line? Yes.  But my god, people want to switch their narratives every week on what's acceptable from this team.

Allen had 365 all purpose yards, Cook ran for 4.8 a carry.  Davis/Shakir/Diggs/Kincaid all had good games.

• Like (+1) 5

I was not able to watch the game because I was driving through mountains all day. Got home finally and read a few quick articles to see how the game went… who won, how the offense looked, etc.  After 3 quick articles at NFL.com, cbs.com, and msn (I think); I was feeing pretty good and positive… almost as though the Bills looked good in a sound win. 

Then I came here to read some of the local “fan” reaction, maybe get the views of some that attended the game (always love that perspective), and hope there was links to funny memes, post game conference clips, and the like.   And wow… now I’m convinced the Bills lost.  McD should be fired and we need to rebuild the team from the ground up.  We sucked again and will be lucky to win another game all year. 

In short, this place is becoming a cesspool of miserable takes, negativity, and reactions.  How did TBD become so bad?  

• Agree 2

Bills audible game is pretty hilarious...starting to try and listen closely so I can hear them more now.

"Lebron James"

"Taylor Swift/JR Smith(Lebron's teammate)"

"Roast Beef"

"Nacho Nacho"

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

One specific bright spot from last night wasn't just Davis, but it was the diversity of routes and depth that Davis ran last night. He didn't just have a good game he basically ran all over the field and caught everything thrown his way.

Special shout out to Shakir who seems to have a knack for finding green space. 

Even after I slept on it, I am very angry with Josh and Dorsey for costing me an 11 leg parlay. All they needed to do was throw the ball to Cook twice. One more pass to Cook. ONE! Come on guys.

What was the lost payout??

Even just getting Oliver back made a big difference for our DL. It went from being blown back 5 yards off the ball every play to being functional and even good at times. If we can add a DT at the deadline, get ankou up to speed to replace ford, and keep Ed healthy I think we will be alright there, especially if Von gets better.

9 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I've mentioned it 5-7 times across several threads over the last 12 hours, the 3rd down RPO would have a better outcome if Allen didnt give the ball to Murray.  Allen had one on one with the corner if he takes the ball.

And the 4th down play was a great switch-off from LB to Corner.  It wasn't my favorite play, but the defense did incredibly well there.

Dorsey wasn't perfect, but he was damn good in scheming a game we all wanted.  Everyone said before the game "get tempo, no huddle, spread the ball around, use Kincaid more, use Allen's legs"  And ALL of that was achieved.  Like, every single one.

Did we play conservative on 4th and short?  Yes.  Did we not execute at the goal line? Yes.  But my god, people want to switch their narratives every week on what's acceptable from this team.

Allen had 365 all purpose yards, Cook ran for 4.8 a carry.  Davis/Shakir/Diggs/Kincaid all had good games.

I agree with all of that and I'll give Dorsey his props for calling a very good game overall. However, the TD that we didn't score on that drive might have provided enough cushion so that we wouldn't have been biting our nails with 4 seconds left in the game.

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was not able to watch the game because I was driving through mountains all day. Got home finally and read a few quick articles to see how the game went… who won, how the offense looked, etc.  After 3 quick articles at NFL.com, cbs.com, and msn (I think); I was feeing pretty good and positive… almost as though the Bills looked good in a sound win. 

Then I came here to read some of the local “fan” reaction, maybe get the views of some that attended the game (always love that perspective), and hope there was links to funny memes, post game conference clips, and the like.   And wow… now I’m convinced the Bills lost.  McD should be fired and we need to rebuild the team from the ground up.  We sucked again and will be lucky to win another game all year. 

In short, this place is becoming a cesspool of miserable takes, negativity, and reactions.  How did TBD become so bad?  

The reason it got so bad is despite the fact that the Bills should have clearly blown out the Bucs we somehow managed to find a way to potentially lose on the last play of the game. Having games like that every week is ***** exhausting.

On the positive the offense showed that it indeed can be very effective, they ran the fast tempo offense spreading the ball around giving Josh time to scan the defense and find the opening to dice them up. The Bucs slowed us down in the red zone through a combination of us going back to the bad play calling and them just having one of the best red zone defenses in the league. Defense also played well this game, they made a few mistakes but overall played a good game.

Problem was that once we got a 14 point lead in the second half, it seemed like we decided to stop doing what was working on offense to try and burn clock, which ironically did the opposite. So instead of a dominant win we watched the game end with us hanging on by our fingernails, and that's just frustrating. Which leads to fans to release that pent up frustration here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

yes the Bucs caught a ton of breaks/lucky bounces to have a shot at the ending but the Bills allowed it with bad play calls, lack of discipline on defense  and taking their foot off the gas too soon  All trademarks of McDermott

Kind of true. Not McD fan here as most know. I will say this narrative is not so accurate in regular season games. McD's has won a plenty over the last few years of the regular season. He deserves credit for that. 

The Bills won a lot of close games last year.  I thought that narrative was squashed after last year. 

The playoffs is a whole different topic. That's where I think McD really gets exposed. However, I don't wanna go there right now. Not the right time after such a nice win. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Also you can't just turn it back on once you turn it off.  So the point in the game where you throttle down has be carefully considered.  They did it to early last night.  Hopefully they learn their lesson.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The reason it got so bad is despite the fact that the Bills should have clearly blown out the Bucs we somehow managed to find a way to potentially lose on the last play of the game. Having games like that every week is ***** exhausting.

On the positive the offense showed that it indeed can be very effective, they ran the fast tempo offense spreading the ball around giving Josh time to scan the defense and find the opening to dice them up. The Bucs slowed us down in the red zone through a combination of us going back to the bad play calling and them just having one of the best red zone defenses in the league. Defense also played well this game, they made a few mistakes but overall played a good game.

Problem was that once we got a 14 point lead in the second half, it seemed like we decided to stop doing what was working on offense to try and burn clock, which ironically did the opposite. So instead of a dominant win we watched the game end with us hanging on by our fingernails, and that's just frustrating. Which leads to fans to release that pent up frustration here.

3 more points, any time in the 2nd half, and the game is over. Everyone can breathe. The vibe among the fanbase is totally different.

4 drives and we couldnt even get into FG range.

Yikes.

1 hour ago, Marv Levy said:

I know this is way late but in the second half I saw a "First and 18" going on. What was up with that? Did I miss a penalty?  I didn't understand what happened to make the first down that weird combo. Anybody?

When offensive holding occurs beyond the LOS, it’s a spot foul and marked 10 yards back from the spot of the infraction. In this case, the holding occurred two yards beyond the LOS resulting in the 1st and 18 down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I agree with all of that and I'll give Dorsey his props for calling a very good game overall. However, the TD that we didn't score on that drive might have provided enough cushion so that we wouldn't have been biting our nails with 4 seconds left in the game.

Yea I absolutely agree.  We honestly should have executed better, but I dont really put it on Dorsey.  I think that's on Allen for making the wrong read and then giving credit to the defense of the Bucs who did well on 4th

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.