Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You really think we’re converting there?  The whole team including the offense goes into turtle mode at end of games.  

You really think we’re converting there? I would go by the math, 71% chance of converting, if I am the coach

The whole team including the offense goes into turtle mode at end of games. I agree that a lot of times we go into turtle mode, which is a reflection of the head coaches scared (play not to lose) approach

Edited by Fdapats
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Lost in all of the ‘go for it’ conversations is why we were throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down. If you’re not planning on going for it, you make sure you’re running routes that pick up the First on 3rd down. They did it twice! It’s like McD and Dorsey are on completely different pages. 

If you're going to throw it short, you at least need a route that is going vertical to hope, at the very least, the receiver's momentum gets them the 1st.

We're throwing short on crosses running horizontally that have no chance of turning up field.

It's little crap like this, that should be basic *****, that our coaches miss.

This is all so nitpicky by us fans, but it's also basic and obvious.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That gained 2+ yards.  Oh yea, forgot about Allen's shoulder that time?

That’s exactly the madness of it.  It’s worth risking injury to get a first down.  But it’s not worth risking injury to get a touchdown.  It’s incomprehensible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Lost in all of the ‘go for it’ conversations is why we were throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down. If you’re not planning on going for it, you make sure you’re running routes that pick up the First on 3rd down. They did it twice! It’s like McD and Dorsey are on completely different pages. 

They actually did that 3 times.

The problem is 3 games in a row against vastly inferior teams went down to the last second.  Who else can you blame by McD.  He didn't have them ready and allowed Mac Jones to dissect them apart.

This game should have been get back on the saddle a convincing win and 10 days to rest up.  

The blame is squarely on McD, but luckily it was a win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The problem is 3 games in a row against vastly inferior teams went down to the last second.  Who else can you blame by McD.  He didn't have them ready and allowed Mac Jones to dissect them apart.

This game should have been get back on the saddle a convincing win and 10 days to rest up.  

The blame is squarely on McD, but luckily it was a win.

I agree on the go for it scenarios, but its not McDermotts fault Jordan Phillips inexplicitly grabbed Mayfields facemask while he had him in a clear bear hug and he was going down. Its not McDermtts fault #7 grabbed onto the receiver on 4th down. The game should have been over twice at that point. Players bear the blame for that stuff. We can grip about the coach all we want but he isn't the one getting penalized to allow the bucs to score the touchdown to make it a 1 score game.

• Agree 1

Just now, Jdragon2 said:

I agree on the go for it scenarios, but its not McDermotts fault Jordan Phillips inexplicitly grabbed Mayfields facemask while he had him in a clear bear hug and he was going down. Its not McDermtts fault #7 grabbed onto the receiver on 4th down. The game should have been over twice at that point. Players bear the blame for that stuff. We can grip about the coach all we want but he isn't the one getting penalized to allow the bucs to score the touchdown to make it a 1 score game.

It's not inexplicable. It was obvious that it happened because Mayfield is so short, and Phillips had him long enough for the play to be whistled dead. But it was allowed to continue, and Mayfield kept squirming and ducking until his helmet was at Phillips's hand level. Much like how Mayfield was able to escape Floyd's sack earlier when Floyd went right over the top of him due to being so short.

Im not going to bash JP on that one. It was a fluke. And the refs were giving the Bucs every chance on that drive so they could score and cover that -9.5 spread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not inexplicable. It was obvious that it happened because Mayfield is so short, and Phillips had him long enough for the play to be whistled dead. But it was allowed to continue, and Mayfield kept squirming and ducking until his helmet was at Phillips's hand level. Much like how Mayfield was able to escape Floyd's sack earlier when Floyd went right over the top of him due to being so short.

Im not going to bash JP on that one. It was a fluke. And the refs were giving the Bucs every chance on that drive so they could score and cover that -9.5 spread.

to Mayfields credit he was still moving in a forward direction which allowed the play to continue. If we're going to blame the coaches for situational game awareness though, then we can obviously blame the players. 

I will say  my biggest problem with McDermott is, in a vacuum, the coaches repeatedly made the same wrong decision while the players made mistakes. The decisions had less of an impact on that game .... and I have to make sure I specify here....at the time they were made; while the errors of the players had a far greater impact on the game at the time. Taron Johnsons hold allowed the drive to continue.... Phillips Facemask did the same....then they scored. Now, McDermott obivously made his decisions with both an overly conservative approach and abundance of caution with JA being injured so I can understand it to a point.. Notice he didn't run as much once he got checked in the tent for his shoulder, and on the 1/2 occasions he did, he slid earlier then he would have. 

So while I don't essentially like the decisions not to "go for the throat" I can understand them and recognize that they had less of an impact situationally on the game at the time they were made. 

Edited by Jdragon2
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What are you complaining about?  We had 427 yards total offense and that's the most important stat to you.

Don't forget 327 yards passing.  Sure Oldmanfan is proud of you....

24 points when it should have been 35+ again shows the issues this team is facing with McD as HC.

I think McD does some things very well.

But we've had too many games like yesterday - where I think most would agree it should have been an easy win, and we end up in a nailbiter.

It's conservative coaching when we have a lead, but there seems to be more to it.  I hate to say something like this, but the coaching style just isn't conducive for a SB run, where you have to consistently beat good & great teams.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't forget 327 yards passing.  Sure Oldmanfan is proud of you....

24 points when it should have been 35+ again shows the issues this team is facing with McD as HC.

What point are you trying to prove about stating "don't forget 327 yards passing"?  Is 100 yards rushing bad or something?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What point are you trying to prove about stating "don't forget 327 yards passing"?  Is 100 yards rushing bad or something?

So you're happy that four games in a row the Bills have been middle of the road at best? 

Yes I'm happy Josh was running again.

Asking for a friend.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

So you're happy that four games in a row the Bills have been middle of the road at best? 

Yes I'm happy Josh was running again.

Asking for a friend.

We weren't talking about the previous 3 games, we were specifically talking about last nights game.

You didn't answer my question.

What point were you trying to make about not forgetting the 327 yards passing?  

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We weren't talking about the previous 3 games, we were specifically talking about last nights game.

You didn't answer my question.

What point were you trying to make about not forgetting the 327 yards passing?  

Quit being obtuse.  Bad coaching resulted in only 24 points being scored and a game coming down to the last play.

The thread is about McD.  I'm done with you. 

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

nah, we're having a season that doesn't meet the squad's expectations so far. and they act like entitled babies. that's all that's happening here. everyone's SB pick(SF) just lost 2 in a row. scoring 17 points each game. I guess they should fire shanahan. another favorite here, who hasn't won a sb that I know of. ebbs and flow of a season. every team goes through a rough patch. we're a 1/2 game behind the phins for 1st in the AFCE. we beat them, so I count it as we're tied. phins can't beat a good team, guess mcdaniel needs to go too. another media darling(cowboys) has their share of issues too. ravens score 10 vs pitt and 19 vs the colts. every team goes through it. jags score 9 and 17 in consecutive losses. it happens. eagles lose to the jets, scoring 14 points and squeaked out a 3 point win vs washington(who we dominated). it happens. another darling(Lions) just scored 6 points in a blowout loss to the ravens. the lions scored only 20 vs the bucs the week before. lions score only 21 vs chiefs in a loss. ah, the immortal Ben Johnson. it happens. i'm sure they all have a site like this where idiots overreact too. 

Except McDermott has been doing it for 7 seasons now lol

17 hours ago, Dopey said:

nah, we're having a season that doesn't meet the squad's expectations so far. and they act like entitled babies. that's all that's happening here. everyone's SB pick(SF) just lost 2 in a row. scoring 17 points each game. I guess they should fire shanahan. another favorite here, who hasn't won a sb that I know of. ebbs and flow of a season. every team goes through a rough patch. we're a 1/2 game behind the phins for 1st in the AFCE. we beat them, so I count it as we're tied. phins can't beat a good team, guess mcdaniel needs to go too. another media darling(cowboys) has their share of issues too. ravens score 10 vs pitt and 19 vs the colts. every team goes through it. jags score 9 and 17 in consecutive losses. it happens. eagles lose to the jets, scoring 14 points and squeaked out a 3 point win vs washington(who we dominated). it happens. another darling(Lions) just scored 6 points in a blowout loss to the ravens. the lions scored only 20 vs the bucs the week before. lions score only 21 vs chiefs in a loss. ah, the immortal Ben Johnson. it happens. i'm sure they all have a site like this where idiots overreact too. 

You know the commonality between the 49ers losses and the Bills losses? That it doesn't matter whether you have a defensive head coach with injuries on defense or an offensive Head Coach with injuries on offense... you cannot replace your elite level difference makers in this league. 

It is hard enough when your "next man up" backup has to replace a starter. But when they have to replace one of your stars.... that just doesn't work in this league. 

McDermott's defense isn't the same without two all pro level guys in Milano and White. Shanahan's offense isn't the same without two all pro level guys in Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel.

The difference, sadly, is the 49ers get their guys back at some point. The Bills are without theirs for the year.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That was my biggest criticism.  I understand the process of punting it three times because the Bucs offense looked anemic all night (there was a lot of luck for the Bucs on their last TD drive).  However, throw past the sticks on 3rd down though because if you miss you're punting anyways.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That was my biggest criticism.  I understand the process of punting it three times because the Bucs offense looked anemic all night (there was a lot of luck for the Bucs on their last TD drive).  However, throw past the sticks on 3rd down though because if you miss you're punting anyways.  

Same. First punt I'd definitely have punted. Second one I'd have thought about going because you are two scores up and given the time at that point if you convert the game is basically over. But I understood the decision to punt. Last one you had to punt because the spot made it 4th and a long 1 and a TD won Tampa the game. 

But they got a bit safe in the playcalling. The first of those 4th downs was caused by that mess at the end of the 3rd Quarter of course. Hard to put that on coaching. And I don't think the Tampa guy did jump either. Looking at it I think it was a good no call. I just don't know why they were playing for that. They were 2nd and 1 in FG range. Just let the quarter expire, even if you are stopped you have all but killed the game if you go up 17. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.