McD and Daboll hate each other probably 🤣

Dablitzkrieg

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I was growing up too.  However in 99.8% of cases, the person can resolve it on their own. The issue really just comes down to "how big a margin of error do you have in terms of food choices"?  Some people have a giant margin for error and can virtually eat whatever they want without too many negative effects.  Some people have a very low margin for error.  At the end of the day it virtually all comes down to insulin sensitivity/insulin resistance.  

People who are having issues losing weight need to stop focusing on calories and start focusing on eating foods that will not spike insulin. Calories are important at the end of the day but the TYPE of calories are more important. Insulin is a storage hormone and while it's active fat burning is basically shut off. Normally insulin rises and then quickly falls once cells take in the glucose from the bloodstream.  In insulin resistant people the cells basically ignore the signal and it takes far longer for the glucose to get into the cells, meaning insulin is active for much longer.  

I could write a dissertation on this topic as I have repeatedly lost weight gained from winter "bulking" via these methods quickly and efficiently.  Most recently, I lost 65 lbs in about 6 months going from 245 lbs to 180 lbs, although this time it was a result of me completely falling off the wagon this time last year with diet and exercise.  Currently working to get to 165 lbs and 10% Bodyfat then start slowly adding muscle from there.  

In general, if you follow these rules you will resolve any insulin related issues:

1) Prioritize 7-8 hours of sleep every night, including staying on as close to the same sleep schedule as you can.  Lack of sleep screws up hormones BADLY and in favor of becoming insulin resistant and fat storing.

2) If it comes in a bag or a box and has more than 1 ingredient, don't eat it.

3) If it has sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) in it, don't drink it.  Drink water. Lots of water. Flavor it at first if you must.

4) Eat quality, complex, slow burning, fiber containing carbs - oatmeal, sweet potatoes, basmati/brown rice, beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc...

5) Prioritize 1-1.2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Protein is the MOST important macro for weight loss for 2 reasons: 

• It has the highest Thermic Effect of any macronutrient at 30-40%, meaning your body must expend calories to enable the protein to be used
  • It helps to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight and ensures the weight lost is predominantly fat. The goal shouldn't be to lost weight, it should be to lose fat. Losing lean body mass is NOT what you want to as great a degree as possible 

6) Try to eat the color of the rainbow everyday in terms of fruits and vegetables(especially vegetables). The different colors denote different nutrients and anti-oxidants the body needs.  

7) Alcohol is the equivalent of a tornado on a building for losing weight.  Try to keep it to a minimum of 2 nights a week and 2 drinks on those nights.  I personally will not drink while I am training, I work too hard to lose 50% of the result or more.

8 ) Focus on short, intense resistance training 20-30 minutes 4x a week and walking.  Just walking.  Only cardio you ever need. It is a tremendous burner of fat and vastly underrated.

I personally am also a huge believer in fasting and I follow a 5:2 fasting protocol which means I don't eat twice a week.  This has a massive positive effect on insulin sensitivity and other metabolic factors. It's not necessary, but it definitely enhances results and efficiency.

Excellent post. 
If one needs to turn to meds, it’s why Mounjaro is EXTREMELY successful. Insulin resistance is huge. 
I’ve lost 111 pounds in a little less than 5 months using it. AMAZING. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bouds said:

Contrast this handshake with the one McDermott had with McDaniel, hahaha.

I have to give it to McDaniels, he made me like his nerdy self. He was genuinely appreciative of the Bills gameplans (on D, obviously, but likely on offense too). I 'm sure he was quick to think of ways to counter what the Bills D did, and it jus opened up new ideas to him, and he was all giggly about that.  It was, IMO, the Bills coaches best performance in years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I have to give it to McDaniels, he made me like his nerdy self. He was genuinely appreciative of the Bills gameplans (on D, obviously, but likely on offense too). I 'm sure he was quick to think of ways to counter what the Bills D did, and it jus opened up new ideas to him, and he was all giggly about that.  It was, IMO, the Bills coaches best performance in years. 

McDaniel is a different cat.  New school coach through and through.  

• Agree 2

I don't recall which QB/coach tandem it was, an older duo, but the QB basically said in the video the he had told his coach, business like, to stop yelling at him, because it made the guys lose confidence in him (QB) as the leader. And the coach realized that and simply stopped doing it. In Daboll's case, Josh was a rookie/youngster so likely not as bad, and Tyrod is a backup. Still, it doesn't look great to see the yelling.  The fact Daboll was booted upstairs is probably a McD decision, and for that reason. Interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

In "not wildly different", the "wildly" seems like a bit of a weasel word in that any differences one points out can be dismissed as "well, OK, it's different, but not WILDLY".  Can you provide a bit of clarity about what "wildly different" means to you?

It's a valid point that some folks here go nuts with "fire xxxx" threads whenever there's a bad game or two.

I think Allen and Daboll was a mutual benefit.  I think Allen is hard headed, based on some stories Allen himself tells, as well as some told by his college coach.  There's a joke about the reliable mule trained with loving kindness: the trainer goes out to the mule (after the new owner can't get him to move) and whacks the mule between the ears with a board, to the new owner's chagrin: "I thought you said he was trained with loving kindness?" "Oh, he was....but first, you have to get his attention!".  Allen learned a lot from Daboll after Daboll had his attention.

From press conferences plus stats, it's pretty clear that a major point of contention between McDermott and Daboll was the run game.  McDermott knew, as a DC, that *some* threat of a run game is essential to keep defenses honest and would comment unfavorably post-loss on the low number of rush attempts at times.  Daboll would comment that it's all very well and good to talk about balance, until one thing just doesn't work and then you better have more of the other. It might be fair to say McDermott talked about wanting to be able to run, but Beane (presumably with McDermott's guidance) did not prioritize the resources in terms of OL and RB (neither Moss nor Singletary had the speed to turn the corner outside) to actually make it happen.

Someone, I believe it may have been @BADOLBILZ, also commented to the effect that Daboll was willing to run Allen into the ground at the risk of Allen's career longevity, in order to pave his way to a HC position.  Cynical, but a viewpoint that may have some truth to it.

Anyway, with Murray and Cook at RB and McGovern and O'Torrence on the IOL, it looks as though we may finally have the personnel to have a run game, and that's where Dorsey has the potential to differentiate his offense.  That's a positive difference.

Another difference I believe is becoming a theme, is that Dorsey draws up plays to attack defenses - he will combine man-beater and different zone-beater concepts in the same play - whereas Daboll would draw up plays to scheme players open against a specific defense.  The obvious flaw in the latter, is if the defense isn't correctly identified pre-snap, the play could leave no good options; the obvious flaw in the former, is that it relies on all the players running routes to be able to get open against the coverage they face.  This appears to be a Bad Plan for, basically, everyone on the roster right now but Diggs. 

It also seems to me that Dorsey relies less on pre-snap motion and trickery.

In terms of "wildly different". Most of the criticism around Daboll was play call, play design, situational awareness from players and play calls, getting the TE, RB's, and other WR's involved. What about the running game? Holistically the complaints about what this offensive frustrations are are pretty identical even if some of the "aspects" are different. 

I do think there are some differences of course. We do a lot more under center this year. A bit more play action. We are more committed to the run. Daboll did a lot of things somethings better or different that helped Josh, we got him moving, used his legs (albeit recklessly at times), a lot of curl routes to help with timing/stationary targets. 

I think Allen and the offense needs (needed?) to evolve for this to work year in and year out. The Daboll method of toss it 100 times, screw how many turnovers we have, and forget the run game/running backs was never ever going to be a long term option. And I think more often than not, when this offense struggles under either Daboll or Dorsey it is those evolution points that are struggling that hold us back. 

I am most of the way through all of our offensive drives from Sunday. From an execution stand point the whole thing was a disaster. There were plays Allen didn't see for sure. This wasn't the Jets game, but he left a good amount of plays out on the field. But there were also some individual gaffes. I mean hell, even Diggs took off well before the ball was snapped. Then a few plays later cut his screen up field inside his blocker into a defender, when he had two blockers on the outside. Just not locked in that drive. On the 5th drive on 3rd and 7 from the NYG 34, the one somebody posted a single still on from the game. If you watch the whole play it looks like Dawkins is going to leverage the defender up and around Josh. But then Josh steps way up into the pocket. This isn't Josh's fault, but it is a good example of WTF is going on out there. Nobody has any idea what the hell anybody else is doing. 

Some of this is on Dorsey. I won't deny that. I am OK with a new OC. I don't think that guy is Daboll, because I don't see the outcome as wildly different. I have no interest in going back to him. And I have no interest in replacing McDermott with him. Both of which seem to be popular talking points on the board as of the last year or so. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Who cares if McDermott and Daboll aren't besties?  It has absolutely no bearing on the Bills play going forward. 

My guess is that neither coach was particularly happy at the end that game for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with the coaches' personal feelings toward each other.  

Yeah the game kind of sucked for everyone who saw it or was involved with it.   No one happy after that one.   So I wouldn't read too much into anything.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Ha!

Love McD. Isn't going to pretend he likes a guy if he doesn't. 

There were more fire Daboll threads than there are fire Dorsey threads at this time and some are acting like we lost Vince Lombardi to the G-men. Let's see how his team responds to being a doormat before we lament the fact that we kept the winningest coach in franchise history over the angry fat guy. And I liked Daboll glad he landed a HC gig. 

I"ll never forget the "let's not give Bill too much credit"

And then proceeding to outscore Belichick 79-38 over the next 5 weeks

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Week 18 2021 doesn't count. Josh played like 8 snaps to get his guys to their milestones. The week 17 Falcons game Josh was sloppy with the ball. It happens, but they won. That week 1 Steelers game was a wakeup call and the Offense got into gear after that. The Jags game the plays were fine, guys didn't execute. 2020 AFC championship Singletary dropped a sure TD when wide open that would have given the Bills a 2 score lead. He wasn't calling shotgun runs on 3rd/4th and inches or goal to go.

Week 18 of 2021 was a game that we had to win to clinch the AFC east, and Josh played the whole game. The Dolphins/Pats were playing at the same time and if the Pats and Jets won, we would have been the 5 or 6 seed. It was 13-10 in the 4th quarter before we scored two late TDs. 

Daboll also called loads of shotgun runs in those situations. You are completely full of it. That's not a bad play call either, the way people think it is

Edited by Franco_92
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

I don't recall which QB/coach tandem it was, an older duo, but the QB basically said in the video the he had told his coach, business like, to stop yelling at him, because it made the guys lose confidence in him (QB) as the leader. And the coach realized that and simply stopped doing it. In Daboll's case, Josh was a rookie/youngster so likely not as bad, and Tyrod is a backup. Still, it doesn't look great to see the yelling.  The fact Daboll was booted upstairs is probably a McD decision, and for that reason. Interesting. 

Ultimately, it was likely a McDermott decision.  But after the Patriots game where Josh threw 3 picks, Josh spoke of having long conversations with McDermott and Beane and making promises to them.  It's not a huge stretch to think that part of the convo was a chance for Josh to give input on what was working well for him, what could be done better, and what could help him improve.

When Daboll moved upstairs to the coach's box prior to the following week, the reason given at the time was to see if he could see the field better and if that would help get plays in more quickly.  At the time, there had been buzz about play calls coming late (Kelly advised Josh to "just call your own play if the play call is late"). 

Being a good 'leader of men', my guess is that McDermott didn't call Daboll in and say "Buddy, you're moving to the box where you can't be seen reaming out your QB in public". 

Rather, he probably laid out some issues (play calls are sometimes late; we tell the players to put bad plays behind them and move on, but when you're yelling on the sideline, it gives the impression you're not moving on yourself) and put out "why don't we try having you move upstairs to the coach's box where you have a better view of the field?  if it works, stay there, if you don't like it, we'll revisit" as a potential solution, and offered something like "when I was DC, I found being up in the box helped me move on to the next play more readily" as a potential benefit.

Edited by Beck Water

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I suspect that it’s this.  And maybe the fact that Daboll bailed from work early one day during the week of 13 seconds.  And I suspect that McD thinks Daboll was the source of the Ben Volin (sp) article about friction in the Bills’ locker room (as do I).  If the last point is true, it’s unforgivable from McD’s perspective.

What Ben Volin article is this?

If you're talking about the Ben Volin article about Diggs wanting a larger role in the offense in 2023, Daboll is not a likely source.

If you're talking about something else, I don't know.

And I hadn't heard about the "bailed from work early" during the playoffs, but Daboll was interviewing and had the right to interview.  What's all that about?

Again, I could be wrong, but while I believe it's probably true that there was friction between McDermott and Daboll,  I suspect the post-game interaction had a lot more to do with 1) observed behavior of the Giants players during the game and McDermott 100% not being down with that and feeling the buck stopped with Daboll 2) McDermott maybe wanting to get another update on Harris ASAP.

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

We really should have kept Daboll, Giants are rebuilding but he's 10X the coach McClappy is.

Clap on! Clap Off! McClappy!!

They'll still be rebuilding after they fire Daboll and Scoen next season.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I was growing up too.  However in 99.8% of cases, the person can resolve it on their own. The issue really just comes down to "how big a margin of error do you have in terms of food choices"?  Some people have a giant margin for error and can virtually eat whatever they want without too many negative effects.  Some people have a very low margin for error.  At the end of the day it virtually all comes down to insulin sensitivity/insulin resistance.  

People who are having issues losing weight need to stop focusing on calories and start focusing on eating foods that will not spike insulin. Calories are important at the end of the day but the TYPE of calories are more important. Insulin is a storage hormone and while it's active fat burning is basically shut off. Normally insulin rises and then quickly falls once cells take in the glucose from the bloodstream.  In insulin resistant people the cells basically ignore the signal and it takes far longer for the glucose to get into the cells, meaning insulin is active for much longer.  

I could write a dissertation on this topic as I have repeatedly lost weight gained from winter "bulking" via these methods quickly and efficiently.  Most recently, I lost 65 lbs in about 6 months going from 245 lbs to 180 lbs, although this time it was a result of me completely falling off the wagon this time last year with diet and exercise.  Currently working to get to 165 lbs and 10% Bodyfat then start slowly adding muscle from there.  

In general, if you follow these rules you will resolve any insulin related issues:

1) Prioritize 7-8 hours of sleep every night, including staying on as close to the same sleep schedule as you can.  Lack of sleep screws up hormones BADLY and in favor of becoming insulin resistant and fat storing.

2) If it comes in a bag or a box and has more than 1 ingredient, don't eat it.

3) If it has sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) in it, don't drink it.  Drink water. Lots of water. Flavor it at first if you must.

4) Eat quality, complex, slow burning, fiber containing carbs - oatmeal, sweet potatoes, basmati/brown rice, beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc...

5) Prioritize 1-1.2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Protein is the MOST important macro for weight loss for 2 reasons: 

• It has the highest Thermic Effect of any macronutrient at 30-40%, meaning your body must expend calories to enable the protein to be used
  • It helps to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight and ensures the weight lost is predominantly fat. The goal shouldn't be to lost weight, it should be to lose fat. Losing lean body mass is NOT what you want to as great a degree as possible 

6) Try to eat the color of the rainbow everyday in terms of fruits and vegetables(especially vegetables). The different colors denote different nutrients and anti-oxidants the body needs.  

7) Alcohol is the equivalent of a tornado on a building for losing weight.  Try to keep it to a minimum of 2 nights a week and 2 drinks on those nights.  I personally will not drink while I am training, I work too hard to lose 50% of the result or more.

8 ) Focus on short, intense resistance training 20-30 minutes 4x a week and walking.  Just walking.  Only cardio you ever need. It is a tremendous burner of fat and vastly underrated.

I personally am also a huge believer in fasting and I follow a 5:2 fasting protocol which means I don't eat twice a week.  This has a massive positive effect on insulin sensitivity and other metabolic factors. It's not necessary, but it definitely enhances results and efficiency.

THIS IS AN AMAZING POST (that will only be read by ppl who dont need to hear it)!  glad to hear other ppl out here coaching to try and fix the insulin resistance first and foremost. its easy to spot the types struggling with it visually.... classic skinny all over guy, huge rounded meatball belly... and for those unsure im not being mean here, when you see this body type i can instantly tell the bulk of the food types youre eating, and the fairly simple fix.

want to lose weight but scared of starving? stop buying food "products", if its in a box or package, its a no.  fruit, veggies, meat, you can basically go ham eat as much as you want and stay under macros...... its impossibly hard to over eat on REAL foods, even if you tried your hardest (ask a bodybuilder)

very simple switch to get going without having to count/calculate, check lists or nutrition labels. eventually you might hit a wall and need to evolve, but so many ppl have  analysis paralysis and never start. literally the easiest way possible to get rolling!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.