Allen played well, Spencer Brown always needs help, Spacing issues on offense, and more PFF stats

Einstein

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

@EinsteinThanks for the info.

Any chance you can help me out and share what PFF says, if anything, on the Buffalo blitzes on third down? I have a bet with someone who says they blitzed "every third done" and I need some conclusive evidence. If all PFF has is the overall number of Buffalo blitzes that may help too (if it's lower than the number of third downs that Jags had).

many thanks. 🍻

Definitely was not every third down. But they blitzed too much for my tastes yesterday (although I am the ultimate anti-blitzer so doesn't take many to be too much for my tastes). Don't know if that was McDermott just feeling he couldn't sit back in coverage down 2 corners and Milano by play 11. They got burned on a couple for definite. 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh this season has literally played one bad half of football. The difference in this game that PFF noted above when Josh is your leading rusher with 23 yards and Etienne was their leading rusher with 126 that was this game in a nutshell. 

This is a game where we should have gone with a bunch of designed Josh Allen runs. I know everyone wants those stricken from the gameplan for some reason. But the Jags were playing man coverage which means coverage players have their back to the QB. The pass catchers were not separating, the blocking on passes and runs was not holding up. In situations like that you have to take the leash off of Josh and let him be a little reckless.

Everyone wants Josh to play "normal" QB within the structure of the offense. But what about when the structure isn't working?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Definitely was not every third down. But they blitzed too much for my tastes yesterday (although I am the ultimate anti-blitzer so doesn't take many to be too much for my tastes). Don't know if that was McDermott just feeling he couldn't sit back in coverage down 2 corners and Milano by play 11. They got burned on a couple for definite. 

The big third down and four w 3 mins left blitz that left Hyde in man on Ridley was really tough 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh this season has literally played one bad half of football. The difference in this game that PFF noted above when Josh is your leading rusher with 23 yards and Etienne was their leading rusher with 126 that was this game in a nutshell. 

It's not that we couldn't run the ball. It's that we didn't try to run the ball, expect for shotgun draws. 

Not one run from under center with Cook. Maybe one or two all game? 

I’m just going to keep harping on Dorsey because it’s been a problem since he’s been an OC.

Our route concepts are really bad. Way too many times we’ve seen multiple receivers within yards of each other. We paid Harty a good salary but we only know how to get him the ball with screens that don’t go anywhere. We know Cook is a weapon catching the ball but we literally can’t scheme a RB screen to save our lives or get him the ball on crossers. We all know the struggles with watching Kincaid run 3 yard routes and then get dumped to the ground. 

It’s really a mismanagement of personnel and that’s on Dorsey.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I don't understand how in all 6 receptions Elam seemed to have exactly zero safety help over top.

@HoofHearted mentioned that Elam did have safety help a few times but incorrectly played his leverage which made the safety help inconsequential. If the safety is playing inside leverage and Elam gives up outside leverage, it will look like there is no safety help. I have no clue how after two years in McDermott's defense he doesn't understand such a fundamental aspect of our coverage scheme but that is probably why he hasn't been active.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Watching that game, I felt they HAD to blitz a lot given the loss of Jones, the loss of an elite cover LB in Milano and the fact that Elam couldn't hold coverage on anyone. With time and Elam out there, I felt Lawrence had an easy completion at hand on every passing play. They blitzed out of desperation, but they were right to be desperate.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

It's not that we couldn't run the ball. It's that we didn't try to run the ball, expect for shotgun draws. 

Not one run from under center with Cook. Maybe one or two all game? 

I like Murray on those types of runs more than Cook as well. He doesn’t need as much space and hits the whole quicker. I don’t dislike Cook , but I don’t see him as that type of RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Hated that call.

I dunno - they forced him to make a difficult throw, but Lawrence made the play. As McDermott said in the press conference, it was a 3rd and 4 passing play, and he implied that he had little faith in guys' ability to cover. They felt their only chance was getting to the QB. I agree with him. As he said, Lawrence just made a great -- and difficult -- throw.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Watching that game, I felt they HAD to blitz a lot given the loss of Jones, the loss of an elite cover LB in Milano and the fact that Elam couldn't hold coverage on anyone. With time and Elam out there, I felt Lawrence had an easy completion at hand on every passing play. They blitzed out of desperation, but they were right to be desperate.

I think they probably thought that way too. I dunno. I still just think this defense is not at its best as a blitz heavy D. They were running blitzes early v the Dolphins too and they played much better once they just settled in and played their standard gap disciplined defense and mixed up their zone looks. I do get that the situation was different with the absences yesterday. But it would take a lot for me to think this defense is best served by blitzing a ton.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno - they forced him to make a difficult throw, but Lawrence made the play. As McDermott said in the press conference, it was a 3rd and 4 passing play, and he implied that he had little faith in guys' ability to cover. They felt their only chance was getting to the QB. I agree with him. As he said, Lawrence just made a great -- and difficult -- throw.

It was a vey good throw. Still hated the call. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I like Murray on those types of runs more than Cook as well. He doesn’t need as much space and hits the whole quicker. I don’t dislike Cook , but I don’t see him as that type of RB. 

I like Cook running off tackle and on stretch plays. And if he's going to run up the gut I still prefer it to be from under center.

But all of that aside, the passing game works so much better with play action from under center than any other formation. 

We didn't need to run the ball 25 times with our backs, but 25 plays from under center with 10 runs and 15 passes would have completely altered the game.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they should start under center and run Murray/Harris downhill with both te's in the game  Everything else will build off that  Enough of the endless empty shotgun looks and giving it to hook from the shotgun draw  Really can't ask for more from Josh Allen and I disagree we can take the loss but dont need to revert to using Josh as a battering ram.  He's the open Super Bowl window  Its up to Beane to find depth /better talent  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they probably thought that way too. I dunno. I still just think this defense is not at its best as a blitz heavy D. They were running blitzes early v the Dolphins too and they played much better once they just settled in and played their standard gap disciplined defense and mixed up their zone looks. I do get that the situation was different with the absences yesterday. But it would take a lot for me to think this defense is best served by blitzing a ton.

I'm not a fan of blitz-heavy defenses myself. But they were literally missing half the starting lineup (more than half after Epenesa went out due to exhaustion/cramping and Miller due to pitch count) and were practically fielding a game-two-of-preseason squad out there.  It forces teams to gamble. I get it. It's certainly not McDermott's preferred approach, though.

That whole locale situation -- 10 days in London for the Jags and the Bills' idiotic approach to the travel schedule -- pisses me off.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not a fan of blitz-heavy defenses myself. But they were literally missing half the starting lineup (more than half after Epenesa went out due to exhaustion/cramping and Miller due to pitch count) and were practically fielding a game-two-of-preseason squad out there.  It forces teams to gamble. I get it. It's certainly not McDermott's preferred approach, though.

That whole locale situation -- 10 days in London for the Jags and the Bills' idiotic approach to the travel schedule -- pisses me off.  

Agree on the latter. And I do totally see your point on the former, just not sure I'd have gone the same way. 

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The big third down and four w 3 mins left blitz that left Hyde in man on Ridley was really tough 

I was pretty upset with that call.

McDermott must have felt our rush wasn't going to get there at all.

But I also think it made it completely predictable.  We could have called the blitz play ever but it wouldn't have worked because Jax knew it was coming.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yea it's not a terrible call in the moment.. I understand it

We haven't been able to cover all day .. zero blitz is going to make a quick decision and throw

Micah is experienced and has been great in man coverage his entire career ... even at corner 

There's literally probably only a 20% chance of that ball being completed pre play .. with the blitz and difficulty of the throw 

It was a better throw to counter the call ... but Ridley is much better in zone than man , so you go at their guy and don't let him sit in a zone 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately Cook pass protects about as well as Brown.  No doubt in my mind we draft a RT early next year and a LT the following year. The only way to improve the run game is to embrace Josh behind center all year long.  And finally somehow I don't see us getting our money's worth out of Harty.  He has made a couple key plays but his volume is terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.