Christian Benford lockdown CB?

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Benford beat out Elam with technique and tenacity.  Elam is fine, and will do great today.  Benford is the better CB

You really think Elam is ready for today’s walk-through? 😇

Joking aside, I’ve been questioning for a few weeks now whether Benford was our best corner.  When the ball is thrown his way, seems like he’s normally on his guy like glue, minus the Sauce Gardner holding.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Joking aside, I’ve been questioning for a few weeks now whether Benford was our best corner.  When the ball is thrown his way, seems like he’s normally on his guy like glue, minus the Sauce Gardner holding.

You beat me to it

1 minute ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Yes you do but distance is generally more separate depending on where they calculate the distance

The Bills Defense is generally considered a “CB friendly scheme”.  

Not exactly sure why, when compared to other schemes around the league and/or if that changes with McDermott at the helm. 

All that being said, Benford’s metrics are that of an elite CB.  We certainly need more of a sample size, and to see what he looks like as CB1 now.. but the guy seems to be, at the very least, an above average Cornerback. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Eh. 

He’s been targeted 13 times and has allowed 9 catches (69%) for 148 yards (16.4 YPC) and 33 YAC. QB rating against him is 107. 

Plus side, he’s been credited with zero missed tackles. 

I still think his future is at safety. 

Like when he’s old? Why in the world would anyone put a good starting cornerback at the safety position? 

Not to mention, there’s more money at corner, if we tried cramming him back there when he’s proven to do the job at CB he’ll definitely take a walk when it’s time to pay him. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interesting chart. Christian Benford leads the Bills in preventing separation.

Weird chart. I see only 8 cornerbacks league wide rate higher but what is the unit of measure? He's at .07 what?

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Ok and how about Dane Jackson…

Jackson seems like an excellent tackler too.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We never give Taron Johnson enough love. He’s easily our CB1. Been CB1 for a couple years.

Hmmm... agree that Taron is excellent and one of the best at his position but that discussion begins with the recognition that Taron is a slot corner. It's kind of a different position.

56 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Eh. 

He’s been targeted 13 times and has allowed 9 catches (69%) for 148 yards (16.4 YPC) and 33 YAC. QB rating against him is 107. 

Plus side, he’s been credited with zero missed tackles. 

I still think his future is at safety. 

Care to cite your source?

The link states based on "40 minimum coverage snaps."

I assume this implies that there are numerous snaps where the QB chose not to throw towards Benford.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude is playing really well and is a gem of a get it. But he’s in for a big jump without White. 

losing your number 1 cb is such a huge loss because everyone has to move up. 

For what it's worth he played 9 games with 5 starts last season before being placed on IR.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The Bills made a steal of him in the draft.  Kudo’s to the scouting staff for finding him.

Let’s hope Elam finds a way to play up to his potential.  If he does the Bills have no worries at CB.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.