It's a RAPP - pre Dolphins game Rapp highlights. I can't wait.

johnk

I too did some research on Rapp this week. I mostly read the opinions that Rams fans posted when the team didn’t keep him.

The overall vibe was that Rams fans were happy he was gone. They said he is slow and coverage is not his front suit. Said he should be more of a LB, which is actually how the Bills have used him thus far (Big Nickel). Some said he was frustrating because he could have a great quarter, followed by a terrible quarter. They felt he was too inconsistent.

However, we have something that his previous team didn’t. McDermott. Who tends to turn DB’s into very good players. Look at the drop-off Wallace has had since leaving. Anywho, if anyone can harness Rapp’s tools, it’s McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 4

Remember when the fans were clamoring for a big nickel on this team, there was a player that was drafted by the Browns and he was wanted so badly during the draft I can’t pronounce the name but a smallish extremely athletic linebacker

That’s Taylor Rapp he is the big nickel that we have been looking for. I think Taylor Rapp is a look at the future of this team. He’s probably gonna get a contract extension at the end of this year.

17 minutes ago, jayg said:

Well for starters, Rapp is a gifted and natural tackler, a man who seeks out contact and plays with a level of aggressiveness that you cannot teach to a football player. He is also considered a high IQ player who diagnoses run lanes well and has a good feel for the overall flow of a play when he is inside the box. But wait, these sound like great traits to have for a linebacker, isn’t Taylor Rapp a safety for the Rams?

Being able to tackle is one most important abilities for defense.

If Bills did not have Taron Johnson (i.e. free agent) Rapp would have been a player they would have signed for that role.

He is a good player to replace Poyer for Poyer is often in the box and is a ferocious tackler.

I am not sure why Rapp is not a fast runner; maybe he needs to work with someone during offseason.

Some players become faster post college which others get slower due to injuries and putting on weight.

I'd like him work with Don Beebe's House of Speed during the offseason who will make his speed more functional.

Taylor Rapp has best missed tackle % among all safeties 2021-22. Rapp missed only 2 tackles total last 2 seasons. #Bills will miss Jordan Poyer in many other ways, but considering a 1on1 tackle with a burner is almost a lock at some point Sunday, Rapp could be big help.

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Remember when the fans were clamoring for a big nickel on this team, there was a player that was drafted by the Browns and he was wanted so badly during the draft I can’t pronounce the name but a smallish extremely athletic linebacker

That’s Taylor Rapp he is the big nickel that we have been looking for. I think Taylor Rapp is a look at the future of this team. He’s probably gonna get a contract extension at the end of this year.

According to report Rapp aimed for Bills in free agency for he sees such a fit.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Do we know if it's Rapp or Damar? 

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm guessing Rapp but who knows.  Hamlin's worst games coverage wise last year were against the Fish.

It is Rapp

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/taylor-rapp-looking-forward-to-the-opportunity

Taylor Rapp: "Looking Forward To The Opportunity"

Safety Taylor Rapp addressed the media after practice on Friday. Topics include; starting for S Jordan Poyer on Sunday, facing a Mike McDaniel offense, his communication with S Micah Hyde, and playing a division rival at home on Sunday

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Extensive draft article - he is extremely twitchy with a special diet which keeps him energy level very high and while he is not Don Beebe who can catch fast players on breakaways he is a very fast reaction player which allows him to make plays many other players can't.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/article/washington-huskies-uw-football-former-safety-taylor-rapp-to-sign-one-year-deal-with-buffalo-bills-adam-schefter-espn-207398994/

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis earlier in the year, Rapp didn't run a 40 but reportedly ran one in the mid-4.7's during Washington's Pro Day. Rapp jumped 35 inches in the vertical jump, 115 inches (9 feet 7 inches) in the standing broad jump, and lifted 225 pounds 17 times in the bench press. He did run a 3.99 pro-shuttle (20-yard), 6.82 3-cone (L Drill), and a 11.33 60-yard shuttle.

Here's what ESPN's Todd McShay says about Rapp, who he has as the 42nd-best player available in the draft. "Rapp's pro day 40-yard dash time (4.76) is a concern. That said, he's an instinctive safety who plays faster than his timed speed and is an excellent athlete -- his three-cone (6.82) and short shuttle (3.99) results at the combine were outstanding. Rapp tracks the ball well, has above-average ball skills and is an above-average open-field tackler."

This is not your guy we want back there against Miami. He’s almost a retro in the box SS. He’s the guy that would get absolutely shredded by this speed over the top. You want him against a physical team maybe. I never really saw the need for him period but this team loves to have slow guys for some reason. It’s very strange on the surface. It’s a shame they are just wasting Elam, I’d almost rather have him playing CB today and slide White or Benford back to S. Hamlin, obviously love the guy for all he represents here…but he isn’t the guy you want back there today either. I think they will end up using Cam Lewis back there which isn’t great but it’s probably better then Rapp.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This is not your guy we want back there against Miami. He’s almost a retro in the box SS. He’s the guy that would get absolutely shredded by this speed over the top. You want him against a physical team maybe. I never really saw the need for him period but this team loves to have slow guys for some reason. It’s very strange on the surface. It’s a shame they are just wasting Elam, I’d almost rather have him playing CB today and slide White or Benford back to S. Hamlin, obviously love the guy for all he represents here…but he isn’t the guy you want back there today either. I think they will end up using Cam Lewis back there which isn’t great but it’s probably better than Rapp.

Why do people think you can just take a starting CB and plug him him at safety? It’s a completely different position. I’m excited to see what Rapp can do because he’s the potential future Poyer replacement. If he craps the bed then you’ve got Lewis or Hamlin to plug in (I’d go Lewis first, Damar was smoked against Miami on the regular)

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Do we know if it's Rapp or Damar? 

I bet they do something other than those two.  I honestly believe Poyer could have started if they wanted but he might have been slowed.  Maybe Siran or Elam in a safety position?  I don't know...  I think it would be hard to have McDerm start Damar at this point.  

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Well given we play our primary threat to continued AFCE dominance, we'll see today of he fits what we need, won't we?

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Why do people think you can just take a starting CB and plug him him at safety? It’s a completely different position. I’m excited to see what Rapp can do because he’s the potential future Poyer replacement. If he craps the bed then you’ve got Lewis or Hamlin to plug in (I’d go Lewis first, Damar was smoked against Miami on the regular)

I haven't watched enough tape on him to know if he gets beat in coverage for lack of speed. I do know he was dealing with a hip injury when he ran a 4.7 40. 

His scouting report says he plays faster than his time. 

40 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I bet they do something other than those two.  I honestly believe Poyer could have started if they wanted but he might have been slowed.  Maybe Siran or Elam in a safety position?  I don't know...  I think it would be hard to have McDerm start Damar at this point.  

I thought they said Damar starting 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.