The Big Win Effect - Dolphins Beware

theRalph

There's an old saying about scoring too many points—beware, you made need some of those points next week. This is an example of the early big-win effect, a subject that's been deeply studied by psychologists.  An early-season big win, without losses to aggravate the effect, creates a super-high with the team (its a huge dopamine effect). 

A good hit of dopamine is the best chemical high a human or a team can experience, but it's a double-edged sword, because the human or team will want the high again, but the standard for it was set at 70 points. Now, Miami didn't intend on scoring 70 vs. Denver, but since they did, that's their standard. They will try to repeat that performance—which based on the history of the league, is highly unlikely. This will cause frustration. Had their 70-point win occurred in, say, week 13, there would be a feeling on that team of having worked toward that pinnacle. Because it was achieved so early in the season that won't happen. 

This not to predict a Bills' win, but Miami will spend the season trying to reproduce the "mile-high" feeling they got at sea level in the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s what Mike Tyson said; “ everybody has a plan until the they get punched in the mouth”…, imo the fish are nervous as a team can be facing the Bills early in the season, me I think we win this one, 

• Like (+1) 3

Bills 51-3.

Then SB 25.

16 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm sure the psychology of this will be analyzed at length once we know the result. But I certainly hope that Miami is over confident and expecting an easy win.

I don’t think Miami will be over confident.

If anything, they’ve had this game circled after the playoff game last season.

I expect Miami’s best effort.

And a Bills victory.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beast said:

Bills 51-3.

Then SB 25.

And a Bills victory.

You are likely correct.

I didn't predict Miami would be overconfident but I'm hoping they are. I don't feel good about this game, personally, but if the BIlls and Josh play smart they can win it.

59 minutes ago, theRalph said:

There's an old saying about scoring too many points—beware, you made need some of those points next week. This is an example of the early big-win effect, a subject that's been deeply studied by psychologists.  An early-season big win, without losses to aggravate the effect, creates a super-high with the team (its a huge dopamine effect). 

A good hit of dopamine is the best chemical high a human or a team can experience, but it's a double-edged sword, because the human or team will want the high again, but the standard for it was set at 70 points. Now, Miami didn't intend on scoring 70 vs. Denver, but since they did, that's their standard. They will try to repeat that performance—which based on the history of the league, is highly unlikely. This will cause frustration. Had their 70-point win occurred in, say, week 13, there would be a feeling on that team of having worked toward that pinnacle. Because it was achieved so early in the season that won't happen. 

This not to predict a Bills' win, but Miami will spend the season trying to reproduce the "mile-high" feeling they got at sea level in the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie.

very interesting. thank you for posting this.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Bills 51-3.

Then SB 25.

And a Bills victory.

This is to Miami as last years KC match up was to Buffalo. 

I’ll take an L this week if it means we mirror KC in 2022.

• Like (+1) 1

IDK, our last three games vs. them have been a loss, then in the two wins, one with Skylar Thompson at QB, they lost 34-31 and 32-29. 

In that last one, in the heavy snow, in Buffalo, Tua posted an excellent game and their rushing game put up nearly 200 yards on over 7 ypc.  That was without Achane.  

IMO this game will come down to how well we defend their running game.  

Also, I thought that we had a pretty emotional win last week too, matching our second highest scoring game of last season.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I love Miami coming to Orchard Park off a 70 point game (50 pt win!).  

Not that the Bills wouldn’t have been prepared, but now they have Buffalo’s full attention. Miami are the new Bills.  Sexy offense.  Every opponent will have a bullseye on Miami, scheming to stop them.  Won’t always happen,  but here’s hoping the Bills slow em down enough to outscore the Phins this week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.