Dan Orlovsky on the Bills Offense Yesterday

MAJBobby

I feel there are many here that have been screaming the same thing for the last couple years.  By not doing this you are also taking away a very underrated element of Josh's game.  He is a magician with the fakes.  there are many times I could have swore he handed the ball off to only see a 20 yard strike to someone down field.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He isn't a kid anymore, he should be able to read the field without being in the Shotgun. I agree 70-80% of the time, be under center.

I can't get to the 70-80 man. That's too much and taking his running element out of it. It's not 1970 anymore. 

I can get on board with 35-40%. 

• Like (+1) 5

Can someone help me out and explain why — in this offense with Josh specifically — Josh is better under center, as Orlovsky says?

1. How is protection better? Dan says it calms Josh down a bit.

2. How does Josh read the field better?

3. How do the route running/concepts change and/or improve?

Just trying to understand and specific examples help me. Thanks in advance. 🍻

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I think when it's 3rd or 4th and a foot, he needs to be under center. Defenses have to alot the proper resources to defend, which typically create great opportunities for both play action and bootlegs. When we go into shotgun, we completely eliminate it.

I agree with this ..... look at Jalen Hurts on 4th and short.  That guy is $$ in the bank.  Dorsey and Sean need to adopt that short yardage strategy.  Hell they were using it last season - why stop???

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I am not arguing one way or another, but is there any data supporting this? I mean some stats split JA under center vs JA in shotgun.

I read somewhere that Josh pass percentage is better when he uses playaction. That's why I cry for the Bills to get a talent at RB, although I like what I see with the 3 headed monsters

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

We're taking football advice from this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0OkR986LL4

That’s a tired take. His football analysis goes beyond what he did as a player 

He may not have had the physical tools or coaching to succeed but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand what he’s seeing on a football field. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

He may not have had the physical tools or coaching to succeed but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand what he’s seeing on a football field. 

He can understand what’s going on in the football field as long as it’s not behind him

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

I can't get to the 70-80 man. That's too much and taking his running element out of it. It's not 1970 anymore. 

I can get on board with 35-40%. 

It enhances his running, not takes away from it

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Josh Allen with NO play-action:

61.7%, 99 TD, 51 INT, 86.9 QB rating. 6.7 YPA.

Josh Allen w/ play action:

68.6%, 53 TD, 13 INT, 117.5 QB rating. 9.1 YPA.

That sums it up pretty well.

12 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Agreed, enough of that old Narrative 

• Agree 1

I have been saying dink and doink teams to death since the emergence of Josh Allen. It's alot more fun to watch the 50 yard bombs but also isn't sustainable, 6 yards here, 8 yards there and then opens you up for the play action pass, this is the offense I've been looking for, for so long now. I don't think there is a team that can beat us if we stick to the game plan each and every week, Brady/Brees were the masters of this and Allen can be too.

• Like (+1) 6

It's common sense to me.

Playing under center means more traditional play action and that causes a longer pause in the defense to create more separation and big play opportunities.

And the shotgun too often leads to "spread" dink-and-dunk football..........which is detestable when you have a QB capable of more.   

And yes, the Bills need to work the short game but doing so from under center keeps Allen in rhythm,   which helps with his timing/touch/accuracy, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It enhances his running, not takes away from it

That sums it up pretty well.

Agreed, enough of that old Narrative 

In some respects on a roll out, sure. 

But the threat of him running draws, reads, etc goes out the window.. It's not the fact that we want him to run, we want the defense to respect it. 

Spreading them out with him in the gun takes guys out of the box, will make them incorporate a spy more often, loosens coverage, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.