Dan Orlovsky on the Bills Offense Yesterday

MAJBobby

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, look.   I don't really know or even have an opinion about whether under center is better and what the right mix ought to be.  What I learned in this thread is that he's been much more effective when running play action, and I do believe that play action works better when you're under center, for reasons I've given:   Fakes are more effective because you can hide the ball. The QB is in motion to make handoffs or fake them, and when the QB is in motion there's another opportunity to confuse the defense with misdirection.  

But I don't really care.   All I want is for Allen to get his completion percentage consistently high, because I think that's what's needed to make the Bills really effective.  And for Allen to do that, he has to take the high percentage throws more often.   If he can do that better running play action, then great, run more play action.  If he can do that running plays out of the shotgun, works for me.   Just complete more passes. 

And I actually don't care if they take the threat of designed runs out of the offense.  Allen shouldn't be running many designed runs.  Where his running hurts teams is his scrambles.  He'll scramble out of any offense, doesn't matter if he's under center or in shotgun.  

Allen's physical skills that will make him an all-time great are his arm, number 1, his ability to escape the pocket and throw on the run, number 2, his ability to stay upright in the pocket and not got knocked down easily, number 3, and his ability to run for first downs off scrambles, number 4.  He is not going to win Super Bowls by being a running threat.  Newton didn't win any, Vick didn't win any, Lamar hasn't won any.  Quarterbacks win Super Bowls by being great throwers and field generals.  

I agree and will only add, that All I want to see is good situational football. I was screaming at the TV, when I saw that we were lining up in shotgun on 4th and a foot. Our best play in that situation is QB sneak. I'm not saying that we have to sneak it, but at least pose the threat. I'd like to see them under center in short yardage situations mainly, and occasionally mix it in from there.

• Agree 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, MAJBobby said:

My eye test seems to think Sunday was the best I have seen from this offense and Allen all year. 

his mix was 

- under center for 23 snaps on Sunday 

- in the Gun 48 snaps on Sunday. 

that is a fine mix going forward. With the two TEs he really could be under center even more and not lose anything in terms of passing. 

and Josh running is not hampered as his best running comes from escapes and all. 

fact is by not being in shot gun EVERY time the DE has to guess at the attack point. 

in shotgun you know your attack point and it makes it harder in your OTs in protection as the DE knows exactly where to get too. 

this protection reason is one of the main reason Eric Woods has been calling for Josh under center more for years. 

This last bolded point is where I got frustrated with Daboll at times. He was calling plays and formations and alignments based almost exclusively, it seemed, on perceived schematic advantage. But sometimes, many would argue, you need to call plays in order to help out your guys on the field, especially your offensive linemen. 

Remember that awful home-opener against Pittsburgh? Their rushers could just tee off, play after play, and that really exacerbated the already difficult job of blocking talented guys like TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward. There are so many reasons to seek at least a semblance of balance and unpredictability in play-calling, and in my opinion it has EVERYTHING to do with giving your guys that tiny modicum of advantage off the snap. 

On 9/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, MAJBobby said:

My eye test seems to think Sunday was the best I have seen from this offense and Allen all year. 

his mix was 

- under center for 23 snaps on Sunday 

- in the Gun 48 snaps on Sunday. 

that is a fine mix going forward. With the two TEs he really could be under center even more and not lose anything in terms of passing. 

and Josh running is not hampered as his best running comes from escapes and all. 

fact is by not being in shot gun EVERY time the DE has to guess at the attack point. 

in shotgun you know your attack point and it makes it harder in your OTs in protection as the DE knows exactly where to get too. 

this protection reason is one of the main reason Eric Woods has been calling for Josh under center more for years. 

Concerning the shotgun attack point, is there a reason that Josh doesn’t step up a la Aaron Rodgers.  Do you need better interior linemen to make this happen?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.