Over-reaction Three Weeks In.... Offense seems disjointed

Billsfan1972

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep 75 points the last two weeks (7 by the defense) and a very scary Miami team this week.

Yesterday was never in doubt, but face it the Bills only had 16 points entering the 4th.

Been said in other threads and not ready to state this is a serious issue, but the Offense just seems a little off (and let's forget about the Jets game).

Week two I commented the red zone was somewhat of a slog and while the Bills moved up and down the field, it was primarily dinks and dunks and little over the middle.  No screens, TE's seem underutilized and none of those 20 yard lasers Allen is great at. 

Yesterday a great TD pass to Davis (his only catch of the day) and a few bb's to Diggs, three big scrambles by Josh and the last drive 64 yards rushing (with the game over), but again the offense I hope is a work in progress as I am not seeing a team firing on all cylinders. 

As said hope it is just an over-reaction.

I think it's 50% that Dorsey still can't figure out the best way to use his weapons and 50% them not finding their overall rhythm yet.  Josh still has to bail the play calling out at times and no one besides Diggs has a receiver role on offense.  We still want to force the Harty issue at times, TE's are a misnomer, and no one else has a catch really.   Gabe is still really hit or miss.

I agree. I mentioned this same thing in Virgil's thread. Dorsey needs to get of his own way. You can call the obvious play at times and it won't matter if the defense knows it's coming because you have Josh Allen and Diggs and Cook and Kincaid etc.

It's almost as if Dorsey doesn't have the confidence in his players at times to just call the sneak and get the 1st and move on. That screen on 3rd and 12 was another play where it's like we went into a conservative shell. You run a route tree to pick up the first down and you let your top 5 QB make a throw to convert. That's the beauty of having a future Hall of Fame QB.

We've watched plenty of teams where we all knew that screen was the only play that would give our offense a chance, this is not one of those teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The guy posting this is the guy who publicly stated that he would rather have the Bills have over 300 yards and lose vs.  under and win because it would be more exciting.  Just reminding everyone.

Miss you too......  And I miss 300 yard passing games.  No way Allen shouldn't be throwing for 300+.  215 only yesterday.

But of course take it personally like you work for the Bills offense.

I made an observation and as expected the usual excuses fly. 

It was a very good win yesterday, but no way does this work vs. Miami.   

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Miss you too......  And I miss 300 yard passing games.  No way Allen shouldn't be throwing for 300+.  215 only yesterday.

But of course take it personally like you work for the Bills offense.

I made an observation and as expected the usual excuses fly. 

It was a very good win yesterday, but no way does this work vs. Miami.   

I’m not taking it personally.  Merely stating fact.  And while you made your observation, when others offer alternatives they are not excuses, they are differing opinions.

In a game like yesterday when you have a defense that is smothering the opposition an OC would be a moron to throw the ball around and perhaps turn it over.  But because you would rather have exciting losses vs.  less exciting wins you don’t get that.  

Edited by oldmanfan

I actually think the offense has improved from the peak of disjointedness last season. It's not all the way polished, but I thought the raiders game in particular was smooth. Yesterday left a lot of meat on the bone. I didn't like all the 2nd-and-long weak runs at the strength of their line at all. I wish Gabe was a better separator outside of long routes. 

6 hours ago, buffblue said:

The concerning part is that our offensive line has played quite well, and yet there have still been struggles. Not sure how that can lead to anything other than Dorsey.

The offense is going to need to be much sharper this week for sure.

It le as do me to execution which falls initially on Josh. He's the final decision maker and he still chooses his favorite type plays over the easier plays that he overlooks for some reason.   Once Josh really buys into the steady move the chains then I expect dorseý can throw in various wrinkles to keep it going.  Without Josh fully committed to that  not much Dorsey can do.  

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m not taking it personally.  Merely stating fact.  And while you made your observation, when others offer alternatives they are not excuses, they are differing opinions.

In a game like yesterday when you have a defense that is smothering the opposition an OC would be a moron to throw the ball around and perhaps turn it over.  But because you would rather have exciting losses vs.  less exciting wins you don’t get that.  

It was only 16-0 through 3.  If Howell didn't make mistake after mistake and yes score on the 4th & goal, it was a game.  

While the game was never in doubt, it certainly was closer then it should have been through 3.

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

It le as do me to execution which falls initially on Josh. He's the final decision maker and he still chooses his favorite type plays over the easier plays that he overlooks for some reason.   Once Josh really buys into the steady move the chains then I expect dorseý can throw in various wrinkles to keep it going.  Without Josh fully committed to that  not much Dorsey can do.  

And what was he then doing in 2020 and 2021????  

Geez he was awful vs. The Jets I've been told, but what happened to 2020 Josh that some here thinks he needs to be neutered by McD? 

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Idk gabes lookin pretty good through 3 games…he seems like a pretty viable 2 to me.  Run game is objectively improved too…people that want to see josh get an mvp may not like it but this offense is certainly better than last year 

To my eyes Davis didn’t high point what should have been a TD throw, didn’t track the ball to break up an INT, and had another killer drop in the game which should have been a first down.

Bad things seem to disproportionately happen when targeting Davis going back to last season.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was only 16-0 through 3.  If Howell didn't make mistake after mistake and yes score on the 4th & goal, it was a game.  

While the game was never in doubt, it certainly was closer then it should have been through 3.

And why did Howell make mistake after mistake?  A smothering defense.

You just refuse to own what you said about preferring exciting losses.  You refuse to acknowledge winning with less than 300 yards passing is a good thing.  Could we have scored another TD here or there?  Sure.  The 4th and 1 call was dumb.  Knox. dropped a TD pass.  But the actual NFL is much different than Madden.  In the real NFL you see what is working and not and adjust accordingly.  McD had Howell and Bienemy befuddled all day.  That was the story of the game.

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

To my eyes Davis didn’t high point what should have been a TD throw, didn’t track the ball to break up an INT, and had another killer drop in the game which should have been a first down.

Bad things seem to disproportionately happen when targeting Davis going back to last season.

There was one catch he should have made.  And of course had a TD.

I realize it’s hard to find negatives when the team wins in a blowout but we all don’t have to be so desperate to find one either.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There was one catch he should have made.  And of course had a TD.

I realize it’s hard to find negatives when the team wins in a blowout but we all don’t have to be so desperate to find one either.

The context was if Gabe Davis is a good #2 WR. I would argue no. Even in a blowout he had 1 reception on 4 targets. Not really a good game from him IMO.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

The context was if Gabe Davis is a good #2 WR. I would argue no. Even in a blowout he had 1 reception on 4 targets. Not really a good game from him IMO.

Should have had the one catch for sure.  But the flow of the game is the flow of the game.  Last week flowed to him more and he played really well.  Gave us better at downfield routes and we didn’t focus on those yesterday.  As teams have to start cheating up to take away our shorter stuff that we’ve done the past two games Gabe will get his share.

Edited by oldmanfan

I understand the thread, but disagree. At half time yesterday Josh hit 62% of his passes, 6.8 YPA, and around 143 through the air if I recall correctly. 

Bills didn’t bully on offense because they didn’t need to, and Washington has a decent defense that can make plays. They bent but never broke. McD knew their offense was grossly outmatched, so they didn’t push things with their offense. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think I'd call it disjointed. I think Dorsey was the problem yesterday. Some of his playcalling was bizarre. And I am still not convinced about their design in the redzone, which feels overly contrived. I don't see them run enough what I consider base redzone concepts like the outside rub route, and the Tight End chip and release. The seem obsessed with motioning Harty across the formation then releasing him into the flat. I am a subscriber of "players not plays" in the redzone so I'd like less stuff designed for Harty and more for Diggs and Knox who have been our most reliable redzone guys.

The Dolphins have taken a page out of the Chiefs playbook and had two very nicely executed TDs yesterday on PA shovel pass in the RZ.   Seems like a high percentage play but we never try it.    I think our concepts are either not creative enough or poorly diguised.  Thats on Dorsey like you said.

I truly don’t know what people expect anymore.  I used to think people were spoiled at the end of the 2021 season, and the perfect playoff game against NE.  But, now, I think people just like to complain.  Or maybe people just aren’t happy unless they can drag other people down?  

Once again the Bills offense controlled the ball, had good balance running and passing, got everyone involved, limited mistakes, …punted once!  

And yet, it’s disjointed, players are under utilized, and lets just throw out entire quarters of play to prove how bad it was.  I’m sorry none of this is critical discussion.  This is just bitchin for the sake of bitchin.   

I’m sure there’s plenty of room on the Dolphin bandwagon for everyone that insists you're only good if you win by 50 or more points every week.  Although I imagine there fin fans upset that they didn’t score 80.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.