Bills/Commanders Postgame Thread

HappyDays

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think the biggest change I've seen the past two weeks -- and make no mistake, this is likely due to Ken Dorsey's coaching -- is that there seem to be a lot more passing plays where Josh Allen's progressions are from short to long, rather than long to short. 

This is a HUGE difference, and a big reason that Josh suddenly looks much more comfortable back there. Less double-clutching, less running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

He seems to be being coached that if the short completion is there, you take it. This, in turn, gets him in more of a rhythm and builds his confidence, and when shots ARE there (see the Gabe Davis TD and Knox end zone drop) he takes them.

To add to that, the coaches seem to be instilling in Josh that he doesn't need to be a hero against inferior opponents. The most interesting andencouraging thing I heard during the broadcast today was the announcers saying that Josh said he "needs to be aware of who the opposing QB is, too". In other words, there will be weeks where he needs to sling it and let it loose and make things happen (vs Mahomes, vs Tua, etc), and weeks where he simply needs to be smart and take small profits (vs Howell, vs Garappolo, vs Mac Jones, etc). Great stuff.

Agree, but I want them to emphasize that Miami does not have to be a track meet.

Flipping the script is what I am hoping for. Folks talk about Allen's patience, but put on a clinic of long sustained drives against Miami, balance with plenty of runs, keep the chains moving and their offense on the sidelines, frustrate them with our defense, and then let Miami be the team that presses and makes mistakes.

That is my hope rather than Allen thinking it is me vs Tua.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Can I B word about the officiating in this thread? 

I'm still heated about the tripping call on Kincaid and the forward progress ruling on the MacLaurin fumble. 

They ruled forward progress had stopped when the question on the play is whether the WR had it long off to be a catch and fumble or was it an incompletion that he never had possession of. 

Washington also got away with a half dozen blatant holds. I guess if you're down 30+ at home just hold on every single play LOL. 

How about the blatant personal foul non-call when Josh was already out of bounds and got slammed to the ground?

The stadium erupted after that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 716 said:

How about the blatant personal foul non-call when Josh was already out of bounds and got slammed to the ground?

The stadium erupted after that

That was not unnecessary roughness. If anything was to be handed out on that play, it would have been an Acadeny Award 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think both Shakir and Sherfield can be counted on. Plus Kincaid.  No reason to waste time on Harty, IMHO.

I think most people would wholeheartedly agree, but the “professional” coaches of the Bills seem to think otherwise. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Dislike 3

18 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

That was not unnecessary roughness. If anything was to be handed out on that play, it would have been an Acadeny Award 

Fair enough. Possible my eyes deceived me. Josh does have superb acting skills in the flopping arena.

Edited by 716

I suppose it never occurred to all the armchair offensive coordinators on TSW that perhaps Dorsey -- with McDermott's approval -- decided to forego easy opportunities to run up the score?  What better time for the offense to try some new plays in high pressure situations under real game conditions than when the team has the game in hand because of the defense's dominance?   IMO, that could very well been Dorsey's aim with some of the play calls that seemed unnecessarily risky on 3rd and 4th downs in the second half when it became clear that the Commanders were done.  As a fan, I would have loved for the Bills to have kept those drives going and scored TDs but long-term, having  game time film for the Bills coaches to dissect is worth more than piling up the score against an already beaten team.   Moreover, if one or more of those plays had been successful, they would have given future opponents more to worry about when facing the Bills in those situations.

I don't know if the above scenario actually explains why Dorsey called some of those failed plays, but it's certainly at least as plausible as the meme that Ken Dorsey is  incompetent. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, WMDman said:

I think Dorsey Called an okay game

It was solid. The Wash defense is pretty good. 

My untrained fan eyes would like to see a little more motion, Allen take a few more snaps under center with RPOs in play as well as play action pass. 

The Oline was excellent vs a very good Wash front. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

If you look hard enough at any game, there will always be things to pick at.  Today, it was Dorsey deciding to go sideways multiple times when straight forward for even short gains would have been the better play.  Dorsey constantly calling for run plays on second and long and also still having no idea how to use Harty is frustrating.  There are other things for sure, but those are the ones that cost you possessions and points.  Sometimes I think he just makes things harder than they need to be.  But, regardless, in the end, you score 30, you should win.  Overall, the offense was pretty good.  Solid B.  But that is all you needed in this game.

Obviously, the defense balled out.  I'm not going to get on their case at all.  Were they perfect?  Of course not.  But that is about as good as it gets in today's NFL.  Next week, though, it gets real, very quickly.  It's one thing to find a way to shut down Washington, but it's a completely different animal next week.  The motion the Dolphins use.  The speed they have at every position.....it's going to be a huge challenge for this wise, but older, slower secondary.  As good as we are up front, the Dolphins offense is designed to get the ball out extremely fast.  Tua will not be holding the ball like we saw today.  Our best bet might be to send a delayed rush (maybe a lot of 3 man rushes as well), flood the zones to try and take away the crossers and use the height and length of our defense to get arms up quickly and try to force some high throws.  Maybe, just maybe, it's the game where Elam gets a jersey.  He did a nice job on Hill last year at times and he's, by far, our fastest corner.  Maybe it's time to suit him up and just tell him to run with Hill every play while playing a safety over the top.  Whatever the plan might be, McDermott will have his hands full next week for sure.  But, that's for next week.  Time to celebrate this one.

Ps.  Off topic, but maybe the only thing more annoying than the Chiefs and Kelce are the Chiefs and Kelce with Taylor Swift.  That is growing old and tired already.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just heard from the announcers of the game! .....If this game had been played in Buffalo, the outcome would have been different. 2nd half, 3rd and 6 fom 40ish of bills side, commpnders have controlled games in the second half with big plays like against the Bills today! ( 4 minutes into the 1st half, before the Bills int next lmao)

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

I don't have a lot of negatives around the game Dorsey called.

He designed plays that got the ball out of Allen's hands quickly. Completely negated the pass rush of Washington and the balanced run game took advantage of the lighter boxes they played.

How many hits did Allen take? Not a lot.

Only a few critiques. As others have mentioned, he could do better with 4th and short calls.

A would like to see them lean more into Allen under center and play action - especially with a run game that is clicking. Dorsey still seems overly enamored with shotgun.

I am also done seeing Hardy wheel and sweep plays. A cloud of dust and nothing. I just don't see the juice and it seems like they have gone to the well enough that they should have come to the same conclusion.

Defense played disciplined till we had a good lead then just unleashed the dogs.

Bernard plays with good instincts for his gap and the ball. The DTs in front of him are really holding their own when not collapsing the pocket.

Great day all around for the defense.

I'm particularly encouraged by this game. It wasn't perfect but no game ever is. 

Both sides of the lines dominated by the Bills. The Bills won the in the trenches! That's the storyline of this game for me. 

I believe the offense will only get better and more efficient. Allen made plays with his legs and arm today. The nice thing was he didn't have to be Superman. 

The three RBs all have their roles and look good. 

The WRs did enough but I think the Bills need a little more from others besides Diggs. 

The defense was fantastic. McD has them playing well as a team. Miami will be a huge test after putting up 70.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Just heard from the announcers of the game! .....If this game had been played in Buffalo, the outcome would have been different. 2nd half, 3rd and 6 fom 40ish of bills side, commpnders have controlled games in the second half with big plays like against the Bills today! ( 4 minutes into the 1st half, before the Bills int next lmao)

16-0 Buffalo, getting ready to score again, but yet the Commanders have held their ground 🤣🤣🤣

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.