Josh Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week 2 and Week 4

bills742

On 10/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, finn said:

Yeah, that's the usual argument. No disrespect intended, but it's lazy thinking. Are Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, and Trent Dilfer also better than Marino because they each won a Super Bowl? You have to take into account all sorts of other factors, especially the quality of the team around the QB, but also the coaching, ownership, the era (e.g., PI penalties), and how many healthy years he played.

I'm not dissing Brady (although I despise his Marcia face), but having watched both him and Marino, there's no question, to me, that Marino was better. Put him on Brady's teams, let him play there until he was 45, and he would have won more championships. 

Marino was better at throwing the football, Brady was better at winning and that why he’s the goat. 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

For the record if you are caught cheating you can not be called the greatest at anything other than cheating.    Both Tom and Bill and anyone else associated with those teams should never have that honor thrown their way.    Because they have no honor.   

For anyone that replies all teams or players cheat….show me the proof and I’ll put them in the same category regardless of what team.   

And to end on a positive note….Freaking Josh Allen is good….Diggs is good….and so on and so on …therefore …The Bills are good!!!!    So life is good

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, finn said:

Yeah, that's the usual argument. No disrespect intended, but it's lazy thinking. Are Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, and Trent Dilfer also better than Marino because they each won a Super Bowl? You have to take into account all sorts of other factors, especially the quality of the team around the QB, but also the coaching, ownership, the era (e.g., PI penalties), and how many healthy years he played.

I'm not dissing Brady (although I despise his Marcia face), but having watched both him and Marino, there's no question, to me, that Marino was better. Put him on Brady's teams, let him play there until he was 45, and he would have won more championships. 

I don't agree with this.  Marino was more talented than Brady but Brady was more willing to do whatever was better for winning which included running the ball down teams throats for many games if that is what that game called for.  Marino wanted to call the plays....he would audible all the time out of runs into passes because he liked to pass, he was very cocky that way and it hurt his team.  I remember an interview where he was being asked about it and he said something to the affect of  "once we are up a few scores, we can run the ball"

On 9/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, Shaw66 said:

"It seems difficult," is a good way to put it.  Yes, even Sunday, even though lots of drives ended it touchdowns.   I can't really prove it, but I think defenses have a book on Allen on the Bills.   1.  Do not let him throw long.  2.  Do not let him run.   A lot of zone defense helps accomplish both of those things.   Teams were able to get away with deep drops on zones in part (I think) because Allen didn't take the easy throw, the short throw, unless as a last resort.  

Sunday, he was taking those throws.  It seemed almost like he was looking for them.   That gave the offense the look of struggling, because he was throwing what looked like check downs, over and over.   I don't think that's really what was happening.  I think Allen really drank the Kool-Aid before Sunday's game, and the Bills showed the Raiders (and the league) that they score more or less every time if the defense is designed to stop Allen and the big play.  The Bills really crushed the Raiders with that game.   

Now, it's not all on Allen.  Yes, I think he made decisions the way the offense demands.   But I think the other change is the running game.  The ball isn't in Allen's hands all the time now, because he isn't the running game.  So, it wasn't just Allen taking the easy throw.  It also was the Bills running the ball with their backs, consistently, with positive gains on enough runs to make running a consistent contributor to the offense. 

It goes back to what I said about skill players.   I think the way modern offenses succeed is by giving your skill guys the ball as often as you can.  The more plays your skill players have the ball, the better your offense will be.   Until we saw the Bills Sunday, giving the ball to the backs hasn't been something the Bills have wanted to do.   The backs weren't great, and the offensive line didn't get the job done.  But on Sunday, the running backs consistently hurt the defense, because the backs are better and the line is better.  So, in a sense, on Sunday the Bills had more skill players on the field than they have in the past, because they had skill players with the right skills.   The other part of getting the ball to skill players more often is a higher completion percentage.   Every completed pass is another play a skill guy has contributed, and every completed pass is a chance for a skill guy to make a play.  It's why I compared them to the 49ers.    

So, yes, even Sunday the offense looked difficult.  But I think that's primarily because the Raiders defense sold out to stop the pass and stop Allen.  Defenses wil adjust, because the Bills are saying to everyone, "If you don't stop our short stuff, you'll never get the ball.  We can run 6-7-8-9 minute drives, and we can score in the red zone."  Once defenses start looking for ways to stop the short stuff, the things that make the offense look easy - the 15-20 yard completions to open receivers, Allen breaking off a 20 yarder because the defense wasn't looking - will come back.  

In a way, I think what is happening is something that McDermott said several years ago - that he intended to build an offense that attacks every part of the field, sideline to sideline, from the line of scrimmage to the opponent's goal line.  Allen and John Brown and Diggs gave him a way to attack deep up the sidelines.  Davis became useful medium deep over the middle.  Beasley helped shallower over middle, but he was limited in some ways.   Allen wasn't good throwing the touch passes in the flat when he first got to Buffalo, and even now that he throws that ball well, he hasn't really had players who could do much of anything out there.    Now, it's different.  Kincaid is full-fledged threat in the middle, and he's more effective in the flat that the other tight ends.  McKenzie wasn't versatile enough in the flat or over the middle.  Cook is a threat in the flat, better than Singletary, and Murray is, too.  The run game can attack the line of scrimmage.   

In short, the Bills look like they have what McDermott wanted, and the offense that can attack everywhere.  To bring it back to Allen, he now doesn't have to be the answer on every play.   He just has to get the ball to all the other guys.   He's extraordinarily talented, physically, at doing that; he just as to keep taking the easy play, over and over.   And then, every once in a while, on a play here and there, things won't go right, and Superman will save the day.  As I said, what he needs to be is Brock Purdy most of the time - just run the play as designed, and get the ball to all those guys who can catch and run.  Then, every once in a while, do something that Brock Purdy can only dream of. 

You nailed it in this post back on 9/21, and the successive two games have proven you absolutely right. 

I'm sincerely impressed. 

53 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don't agree with this.  Marino was more talented than Brady but Brady was more willing to do whatever was better for winning which included running the ball down teams throats for many games if that is what that game called for.  Marino wanted to call the plays....he would audible all the time out of runs into passes because he liked to pass, he was very cocky that way and it hurt his team.  I remember an interview where he was being asked about it and he said something to the affect of  "once we are up a few scores, we can run the ball"

I disagree with this based on the coaching.

Shula was a coach from a different NFL era. While I HATE Belicheat I grudgingly give him much more respect regarding coaching acumen than Shula.

You put Brady on a Shula team and he’s not getting them as far as Marino, who carried those teams. 
    You put Marino on Belicheat teams and he’s winning multiple Lomabardis especially in light of the QB protection rules. 

54 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

What are you talking about? 

Poo Poo

He’s talking about Poo 💩 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You might be right; I never heard that information before. Still, it's strange that in our culture "better" means "winning more" instead of "more talented," even if the talent isn't just potential but stellar production, plain for everyone to see.

I realize I'm in a minority, but to me, "better" means "better," not "the one who won the most." For example, I think it's clear that Allen is better than Mahomes, even though KC fans will forever yell about his two SB rings. He's bigger, faster, stronger, and just as accurate and competitive. In short, he's "greater."

1 hour ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

For the record if you are caught cheating you can not be called the greatest at anything other than cheating.    Both Tom and Bill and anyone else associated with those teams should never have that honor thrown their way.    Because they have no honor.   

For anyone that replies all teams or players cheat….show me the proof and I’ll put them in the same category regardless of what team.   

And to end on a positive note….Freaking Josh Allen is good….Diggs is good….and so on and so on …therefore …The Bills are good!!!!    So life is good

Go Bills!

Thank you for saying the truth. 

Karma will get those cheaters and their legacies eventually. We’ll be redeemed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.