Raiders at Bills 1990 AFC Championship Game

Buffalo03

Continuing on with the posts of opponents we are playing the coming week where we are playing them. I am going with the Raiders at Bills 1990 AFC Championship game. You have to click on the link to watch it because the NFL likes to block 33 year old games from being used on message board forums. But as we know, we destroyed the Raiders in this one 51-3 en route to our first Super Bowl as a franchise. We were hitting on all cylinders and I hope we can bounce back and do the same this week. Sit back and watch this beauty and enjoy. As always.....Go Bills!!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Attended this game and lost my voice in the first half - This brings back the memories of elation that we were going to their very first Super Bowl!  Need to close the deal next time!

We had a great win against the Raiduhhs for opener when the Bills climbed out of 18-point hole, stun Raiders late. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to David Nelson with 14 seconds left to cap a wild back-and-forth fourth quarter and lead the Buffalo Bills to a 38-35 win over the Oakland Raiders 38-35 9/18 2011.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

One of my favorite childhood memories.  I was seven years old and watched all the games with my Dad.   

He watched all the Bills games but grew up a Raiders fan.   He'd tell me great stories about the Assassin Jack Tatum, Snake Stabler and the Mad Bomber Daryle Lamonica.  When I first found out he wasn't a Bills fan I was kind of crushed but I wouldn't change a thing as the stories he told me about the 1960s and 1970s football were some of my favorite times with him.  

Long story short I remember the week leading up to the game being a huge deal.  97 rock had the parody song "Raiders in the Storm" (No Snow in Californ).  My Dad was in a local band and  his band mates would call the house after every Bills score to give him crap.  Needless to say the phone rang non stop.   By the time it was 41-3 all he could do was laugh.   Great memory of my Father, awesome game.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I've watched this game several times as I think it's like mandatory viewing for Bills fans if they weren't born yet or old enough to appreciate it.  

But someone posted a Bills/Raiders game earlier that season where the Bills came back late in the game.  Which was kind of eye opening as the impression I had of the AFC Championship game was it was a formality the Bills would win that day 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Continuing on with the posts of opponents we are playing the coming week where we are playing them. I am going with the Raiders at Bills 1990 AFC Championship game. You have to click on the link to watch it because the NFL likes to block 33 year old games from being used on message board forums. But as we know, we destroyed the Raiders in this one 51-3 en route to our first Super Bowl as a franchise. We were hitting on all cylinders and I hope we can bounce back and do the same this week. Sit back and watch this beauty and enjoy. As always.....Go Bills!!!!!

My all-time favorite Bills game.   Highest point in franchise history, really.   A 49ers-esque dynasty seemed imminent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It seemed that everything that went wrong for the Bills franchise for the previous 25 years was avenged in one half of football.

The whole second half was just pinching yourself. The Bills are really going to the Super Bowl!

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My first NFL game all thanks to scalpers needing to unload tickets. Started my streak of wins when I'm in attendance. 8-0! Trying to get to the Commanders game to continue the streak. 

Time has diminished just how great of a feat this was. My best friend was a Raiders fan so I was well aware of their roster. Bo Jackson was injured but they still had Marcus Allen, Willie Gault, Tim Brown, Greg Townsend, and Howie Long. 

The memories I have of the game are doing the wave, mocking their QB with a "Schroeder" chant that seemed to make him throw more interceptions, and thinking the pre-Jumbotron scoreboard was amazing. Especially during the Mighty Taco commericals. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dpn't need the video. Saw it in person. Row 36 , Goal line,  tunnel end.  Halftime the entire stadium ws yelling "Super Bowl!".  Had about 25-30 people in Lo t 1.We were  ll drinking champagne after the game.  Had so much and varied types of food, that you couldn't try it all.

Edited by Wacka

Was at that game.  It was awesome.  Beside the .sskicking they gave the Raiders, what stands out in my memory is that at the time the USA was heavily involved in Desert Storm and there was a great deal of flag waving and chanting USA, USA, USA. Between the football game and the patriotism going on it was a day I will always remember.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

One of my favorite childhood memories.  I was seven years old and watched all the games with my Dad.   

He watched all the Bills games but grew up a Raiders fan.   He'd tell me great stories about the Assassin Jack Tatum, Snake Stabler and the Mad Bomber Daryle Lamonica.  When I first found out he wasn't a Bills fan I was kind of crushed but I wouldn't change a thing as the stories he told me about the 1960s and 1970s football were some of my favorite times with him.  

Long story short I remember the week leading up to the game being a huge deal.  97 rock had the parody song "Raiders in the Storm" (No Snow in Californ).  My Dad was in a local band and  his band mates would call the house after every Bills score to give him crap.  Needless to say the phone rang non stop.   By the time it was 41-3 all he could do was laugh.   Great memory of my Father, awesome game.

Great story and made me think of my experience watching this game with my dad. Thank you! I am not sure how it is for you, but some of my fondest memories of my father have to do with sports and the Bills in particular. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Great story and made me think of my experience watching this game with my dad. Thank you! I am not sure how it is for you, but some of my fondest memories of my father have to do with sports and the Bills in particular. 

Pretty much everything my Dad and I did together centered around sports or music.   Somehow he ended up a California sports guy Athletics, Lakers, and Raiders.   We watched a lot of Lakers and Bulls, Bills, and Athletics baseball.  Outside of that he coached my youth sports.    Only paralleled by weekend trips to the House of Guitars or setting up equipment for his shows on Friday and Saturday nights.

Its funny.  The activities may have been sports but those times spent together produce so many other conversations.  Only had my Dad for 10 years, but his legacy lives on in my relationships with my Sons.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I was at the game and remember Bruce being out in the cold pregame in a tee shirt.  Several Raiders fans were sitting in our section and were not dressed for the weather.  They were all gone before half time.  It is one of my best Bills memories.

That was Bruce, Talley and Biscuit in tees and shorts during the warm-ups. Also remember Howie Long calling a time out during the first or second seres and  saying to the sideline "What do I do??!...What do I do??!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was there.   51 to 3, in a game not as close as the score would indicate.  I call this Buffalo’s greatest victory, outside of AFL championships.

6 minutes ago, Wacka said:

That was Bruce, Talley and Biscuit in tees and shorts during the warm-ups. Also remember Howie Long calling a time out during the first or second seres and  saying to the sideline "What do I do??!...What do I do??!"

The Raiders said all week that they’d seen many ‘no huddle, two minute” offenses.  I believe Howie was signaling  time out walking toward the wrong sideline.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.