NFLPA renews call for natural grass on all fields after Rodgers injury

T&C

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Arizona has grass in its domed stadium correct? 

Doesn’t it pull out to get sun, or something crazy? 

Natural grass obviously doesn’t prevent all injuries, but I firmly believe it helps, including with the dreaded concussions. I’d like to se edit in every stadium possible, but obviously tough to do in most domes and some locations. 

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I hear they are bringing in some experts on natural grass surfaces

Beat me to it! First expert I thought of!!!

• Like (+1) 1

*Player is injured on turf*

NFLPA: The greedy owners won't put grass instead of turf on the fields!

NFL owners: It's CBA negotiation time. How about sharing the burden of the additional cost of grass fields?

NFLPA: We ain't giving up one red cent to you greedy owners!  In fact, pay us more to play an extra game each season.

*Player is injured on grass*

🦗s

Note: I am in favor of grass for all fields, but the media's (made up of mostly players, or insiders with many players relationships) one-sidedness on this topic pisses me off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

Not sure how this would work for domed stadiums although there are hundreds of grass varieties now that grow in almost any condition.

https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/sports/2023/09/13/nflpa-renews-call-for-natural-grass-after-aaron-rodgers-injury

NFLPA is supposed to be partners with NFL - are they going to contribute?

Only way natural grass will work (if you expect grass in December) is for Packers to get a stadium like the Vikings.

All the talk of players chipping in is so wildly absurd. 

Even in employee owned companies and/or companies with stock options, never would an employee take a loss, or lesser income/profit share repave the parking lot or put on a new roof. 

Crazy talk.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Doesn’t it pull out to get sun, or something crazy? 

It's actually pretty cool.  I remember seeing the video of it.  Basically the entire field is on tracks that rolls out underneath the stadium.  And it's not just a thin layer either.  It's about 3ft of concrete, dirt, grass and steel.

They do it at Allegiant now also.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's actually pretty cool.  I remember seeing the video of it.  Basically the entire field is on tracks that rolls out underneath the stadium.  And it's not just a thin layer either.  It's about 3ft of concrete, dirt, grass and steel.

They do it at Allegiant now also.

That would work well in Minneapolis, Detroit, Indianapolis….  😈

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Only way natural grass will work (if you expect grass in December) is for Packers to get a stadium like the Vikings.

I believe they use heating coils below the surface.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I imsginevthey have Saturday grass set up like rolls of carpeting somehow they can just roll it out for when it's ñeeded on top of the current turf field I'd imagine they just have to determine the thickness of the soil they use and that it would be easily replaced s ced with a new strip as needed from wear and tear.  Different rates on wear and tear based on field position do likely most replaced at mid field as that likely has most traffic per game.

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I saw nothing to suggest that the artificial turf in any way contributed to Rodgers' injury. Wet field, left leg slips awkwardly under him as he's being (cleanly) tackled, stretches, tendon snaps. Like that could've never happened on slick natural grass/mud?

I'm with you on this one.  NFLPA predictably jumped on this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

One of the stadiums in Spain NFL has to choose from has grass and the other doesn't.

If the home team selected for Spain has grass it actually is decreasing number of games with grass fields.

Not sure why we care about Chad Kitchen who is out to prove that you can have CTE without playing football. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.