Why Dorsey is not the answer

dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

This is pretty good. Hard to pin down specific blame, though; it might be players simply running bad routes. But of course that's coaching too. The Davis route was really poor.

Gabe and Kincaid both ran corner routes at 7 yards…. Which let me think that’s how they want it. But that small separation isn’t helping the QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

This is play design… this is Dorsey. Multiple players running concepts routes incorrectly in which Warner says won’t work the way the Bills execute it. And I agree 100%.

That is disgusting execution.  Just a glaring lack of precision.  Not just Dorsey - don’t forget Chad Hall is gone and there’s a new WR coach.

• Like (+1) 4

Can Dorsey craft an offense where Diggs, Kincaid and Knox are featured. 

The Coaches had to have their power backs, but I don't have faith that Murray or Harris really get involved in this offense. 

And can the black hole that is Gabe Davis at 99% snaps be mitigated? 

I don't have any faith that Sherfield, Shakir or Harty do anything. Our OC couldn't figure out how to get Hines the ball a couple of times a game, so I have no faith these depth WRs even get on the field. 

The "creativity" bar is so low for the Bills, any pre-snap motion catches your eye because it's so stationary. 

Diggs needs 12-15 targets per game. 

Our offense feels so clunky because there is no #2 option in the pass or run game. 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That is disgusting execution.  Just a glaring lack of precision.  Not just Dorsey - don’t forget Chad Hall is gone and there’s a new WR coach.

Even Gabe's big 26-yard catch against the Jets.

Look at where catches that ball and where Diggs is. 

They both run to virtually the same spot, with a cluster of Jets there. So even that looked clunky and strange, with no spacing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Jets safeties jump the first break HARD on those routes - they have faith the pass rush is going to get home to be doing that.  

More double moves, another second in the pocket is needed.  

Also, my God.  All 7 defenders immediately backing up on these (and most) plays.  No fear of the run at all.  And we were up 7-10 points most of the game.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes, JA was awful 

But we have too many weapons on this offense to need JA to be superman every week—that’s on coaching from the top down. 

On 9/14/2023 at 3:16 PM, FrenchConnection said:

Fans of every team complain about the offensive playcalling, especially after a loss. Here's a thread of Bengals fans complaining about offensive genius Zach Taylor: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Outcoached--36362

yeah, but Bengals is an overreaction.  We had this mess for almost a season now per another poster:

First 6 games of 2022:

2300 yards  66%  14 TDs  4 INTs 

Last 13 games including playoffs and Jets:

2700 yards 60%  22 TDs   16 INTs 

^^^^ That’s almost a full season.  

Edited by RyanC883

On 9/14/2023 at 4:15 PM, Big Blitz said:

I can’t keep up with the threads.  But this bears posting everywhere:

First 6 games of 2022:

2300 yards  66%  14 TDs  4 INTs 

Last 13 games including playoffs and Jets:

2700 yards 60%  22 TDs   16 INTs 

^^^^ That’s almost a full season.  

And I did the math - the yardage is roughly that it’s within 50 or so yards.   

Interesting numbers.  

Josh had a lot of good games in the last 13 but clearly something is wrong.  It’s hard for me to blame Dorsey for the Jets game. Josh had the turnovers and he was bailing out of the pocket a lot. 

My main gripe with Dorsey is that there doesn't seem to be any types of certain plays for when Josh is having 1 of these games, he has them almost every season (Just like many of these top notch QB's) but nothing is in place, he absolutely refuses to adjust when Josh is struggling. I'll say it again and again take away his long ball passes when he's having games like this, bubble screen to his TE's or Harty, 5 yard crossing plays or outs to his outside guys and here's a concept, run the ball down their throat. I thought Cook looked really good and why in the hell did we bring in Damien Harris? 1 Attempt for 3 yards? I'm really starting to dislike this OC more and more, I heard people say it's on Josh, I totally agree but I also agree it's the OC's job to adjust when his QB is having difficulties and this was my same gripe last season. Why did we stay away from short passes to Harty? How did RB Damien Harris only get 1 carry? Why aren't we throwing to our TE's more? Stop force feeding Diggs and win the friggin GAME!!!

On 9/12/2023 at 8:30 AM, dave mcbride said:

Some eye-opening numbers from last night:

The Bills held the lead for 37 minutes and 18 seconds of regulation.

The Jets held the lead for 1 minute and 46 seconds of regulation.

The score was tied for 20 minutes and 56 seconds of regulation.

Josh Allen dropped back 46 times (41 attempts; 5 sacks) and ran it another six times (half of which were scrambles if I recall correctly). The Bills' running backs ran it 16 times. 

Think about that.

🙄  WELL ??? So 1 bad game & 1 kick ass game which is the norm for Josh what say you now ?

Dorsey is still learning - it’s not what I want for a SB team but it’s what McD decided was best.  

Game plan.  Execute game plan.  Did game plan work?  

He got all 3 right yesterday and deserves credit.  He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt tho because he's still new at this and needs to beat the ***t out of an elite defense.   

But for the first time - after a disaster of a game - him and Josh were in sync.  

If I’m going to criticize him for contributing bad play calls or bad play that leads to turnovers then the opposite has to be true also.

Hopefully the Jets game serves as some sort of turning point in Dorsey and Josh’s chemistry.  That Ken has got Josh and the offense all on the same page and executing.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 12:48 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

It's easier with hindsight, but the idea of firing McD and Frazier after 13 seconds, promoting Dabol, and bringing in say Jim Schwartz as DC sure looks good right now.

Similar to the Falcons, when they should have fired Quinn and promoted Shanahan after the Super Bowl loss.

I. Was. Wrong.

My apologies to McDermott.

Turns out the answer was just firing Frazier and giving Sean control of the defense. Not sure how big of a difference it would have made last year with all the ridiculousness of that season. But at least right now it seems they got it figured out.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 6:30 AM, dave mcbride said:

Some eye-opening numbers from last night:

The Bills held the lead for 37 minutes and 18 seconds of regulation.

The Jets held the lead for 1 minute and 46 seconds of regulation.

The score was tied for 20 minutes and 56 seconds of regulation.

Josh Allen dropped back 46 times (41 attempts; 5 sacks) and ran it another six times (half of which were scrambles if I recall correctly). The Bills' running backs ran it 16 times. 

Think about that.

Your posts apparently are not arriving at OBD in a timely manner.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.