Why Dorsey is not the answer

dave mcbride

Some eye-opening numbers from last night:

The Bills held the lead for 37 minutes and 18 seconds of regulation.

The Jets held the lead for 1 minute and 46 seconds of regulation.

The score was tied for 20 minutes and 56 seconds of regulation.

Josh Allen dropped back 46 times (41 attempts; 5 sacks) and ran it another six times (half of which were scrambles if I recall correctly). The Bills' running backs ran it 16 times. 

Think about that.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Yes thought about it. 

dorsey had a heck of a game plan for that defense. All Josh needed to do was take the open player. He didn’t. 

that is an often thing with him and will get put in the OC. 

just like it did with Daboll and now it is with Dorsey. I think people need to start putting a lot of the blame on the shoulders of 17 where it belongs 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Yes thought about it. 

dorsey had a heck of a game plan for that defense. All Josh needed to do was take the open player. He didn’t. 

just like it did with Daboll and now it is with Dorsey. I think people need to start putting a lot of the blame on the shoulders of 17 where it belongs 

We haven't agreed on a lot in the past, but we damned sure agree on this.

The plan was working, in the first half, allen was completing passes at a 70% clip, with only the one egregious error. Then his head ensconced itself firmly in the backside and he lost the script

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Dorsey's whole plan is "hey Josh, throw a couple quick passes to Harty, Cook and Kincaid...then when things go sideways make chicken salad, 'er lemonade...or whatever that saying is, Okay Josh?"

Dorsey stinks.  I expect things to get better vs. anyone but the Jets, but the O needs to look ALOT better this week.  Dorsey needs a bounce back game as much as Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes thought about it. 

The game plan didn’t seem bad to me watching live. A lot of short quick release passes designed to get the ball out and protect the QB. 

Allen is incapable of such a game plan though. His intrusive thoughts take over.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes thought about it. 

Hardly ever running it leads to jailbreaks on pass rushes versus an overmatched o-line. And that's what happened -- 5 sacks and a lot of hits. Of course Allen was terrible too, but the OC didn't help him. 

Just now, stevestojan said:

We’re still not ready to admit Josh played like ***** again, huh? 

Not my point; of course he was terrible. But more than one thing was bad last night, and the two things -- OC and QB -- fed each other.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Dorsey's whole plan is "hey Josh, throw a couple quick passes to Harty, Cook and Kincaid...then when things go sideways make chicken salad, 'er lemonade...or whatever that saying is, Okay Josh?"

Dorsey stinks.  I expect things to get better vs. anyone but the Jets, but the O needs to look ALOT better this week.  Dorsey needs a bounce back game as much as Josh.

Did Dorsey force two balls into double coverage downfield when the check down was open for a big gainer?

did Dorsey once again be so arrogant in his arm to try and thread another into double coverage after staring down Davis?

did Dorsey leave the pockets when not needed? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And then calls a run on 2nd and 15 in OT.

Think about that!

Not just any run, but a run right at Q. And they kept running right at him. With no success. 

The few times that they ran a stretch it worked really well, except the play that they didn't block Q. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Sorry, but Allen created a lot of those sacks on his own…bailing pockets because he was flustered…. Apparently he still very much needs a veteran guy to reel him in. 

If you run the ball a lot defensive line movement is different -- it's more lateral. It literally slows down pass rushes, which is why teams do it. He was sacked 5 times and hit 9 times. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The game plan didn’t seem bad to me watching live. A lot of short quick release passes designed to get the ball out and protect the QB. 

Allen is incapable of such a game plan though. His intrusive thoughts take over.

Yeah, but it isn't just his brain that fails him on the short passes. 

Josh's touch on short passes has always been, well... basically non existent. Even if we could block for a screen pass worth a game, Josh routinely fails to place the ball in an easy way for the catcher to grab and run. It's a real problem, for an elite defense like the Jets that can take away the long game and apply great pressure there's almost no answer for it. 

• Dislike 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This. And that is not on Dorsey. Just like it isn’t on McD. Just like it wasn’t in Daboll. I get it we are going to live and die with Josh Allen like all teams do. 

but it is also ok to put the blame on him when warranted and not the OC like has been the history of a lot of this fan base with Josh Allen. 

Just now, PBF81 said:

With the lone exception of the FG drive to tie it, we did nothing in the second half.  

Or staff routinely gets out-adjusted.  

Weird - because I saw theee times where we were moving the ball consistently and then - boom josh Allen gave it back to the jets?

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.