Is Tre Back?

hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Just wanted to point out there are NO players in the entire  league that are getting younger so not sure that should be held against Hyde and Poyer exclusively that they aren't getting younger.

I am going on record now... 

no player ever will be getting younger, that includes past present and all future players. I'm pretty certain that I won't be wrong on this.

I just knew there'd be one guy who would take those words literally instead of as a colloquial expression.

Thanks, AE, for not leaving me disappointed.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Over the last 3 seasons we have the number 1 pass defense in the NFL allowing just 200 yards per game.  And that is with Hyde missing most of last year and Tre getting hurt in 2021 and then playing only part of a season last year where he wasn't the same player.  As far as Tre goes, all reports have been pretty positive on how Tre has looked and seems poised to be much improved than he was last season.  

And now we have real quality depth at CB too with Dane, Elam, and Benford.  

At safety, Poyer was playing at an elite level last we saw him, so no reason to doubt his level of play.  And Hyde is back and didn't take much wear and tear last year after missing most the season with the neck issue.  Plus we also have Rapp who is a good player in himself again giving us depth at safety.

So I see no reason why the leagues best pass defense over the past 3 years won't still be amongst the best again this season.

You're probably right.  But I think as fans, unless we're Jerry Sullivan, we tend to suffer from confirmation bias and clearly see the things that support our hopes while dismissing the information that suggests a less happy outcome.  

I try, not always successfully, not to fall into that trap.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You can always tell who never played sports at a high level with their expectations of how players should respond after injuries. Cornerback is most physically difficult position to play in football. Knee injuries generally take about 2 years to recover from. Tre will be back to his old self this year. 

So you must have played college ball. WOW!  Which JUCO were you the star of?  I bet you get laid a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

This might be his last year in Buffalo regardless, along with many other vets that this team will be moving on from in the offseason which makes it that much more critical to try and get to/win a SB this year even though it's going to be a much more difficult task than recent years past.

When will the SB window open up for your Dolphins? 

2025 maybe?

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So you must have played college ball. WOW!  Which JUCO were you the star of?  I bet you get laid a lot. 

He’s the biggest “bro” on the board.  All about the testosterone, machismo, and bragging about the women he has bagged.  😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're probably right.  But I think as fans, unless we Jerry Sullivan, we tend to suffer from confirmation bias and clearly see the things that support our hopes while dismissing the information that suggests a less happy outcome.  

I try, not always successfully, not to fall into that trap.  

And by the same token, some (intentionally or not) go completely the other way and prepare themselves for disappointment by predicting that less happy outcome.

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic about something over which you have absolutely no control.  And it sure as hell beats the alternative.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Gug why are you knocking the juco that was the highlight of my college, athletic career 🤓

I’m not knocking it at all, man!!

8 minutes ago, eball said:

He’s the biggest “bro” on the board.  All about the testosterone, machismo, and bragging about the women he has bagged.  😂

image.jpeg.172ec0284717f313cf87084f2391a2be.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

What games are you watching? Before his injury he was basically a shutdown corner. You didn't hear his name as the ball wasn't headed his way which speaks volumes.

Agree. Pre-injury, Tre was probably a top 5 CB in the NFL. Likely the smartest in the league.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

The ones that counted. I didn't hear his name because he wasn't making plays. I heard his name too much because he was overrated. I'm a long-time Bills fan... Tre has been a mediocre over glorified CB.

We will see... I sure hope he can elevate his play.

we will see. I sure hope you are correct.

Bro he went a full year before his injury w/o giving up a td…

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This might be his last year in Buffalo regardless, along with many other vets that this team will be moving on from in the offseason which makes it that much more critical to try and get to/win a SB this year even though it's going to be a much more difficult task than recent years past.

Poyer, Hyde, Von, Morse, Dawk, Quan, Diggs all will be in the wrong side of 30 next year. 

Now would be a really good to to close the deal. 

2 hours ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

He was very good in 2017-2018 and elite in 2019.  IIRC that was the season he didn't allow a TD reception.  Those years Marcia was still in the division so you can't use the "weak QB play in division" to discredit him.  Maybe a move to FS is in the future if he can't get back to his former self because of his high football IQ.

Not in this defense…  look at Poyer and Hyde’s tackle totals. That’s not TreD’s game. 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Adding Bill O’Brien to Pats, and Aaron Rodgers to the Jets and a season long healthy Tua seems to make the Bills job much harder 

You do know in BOTH regular season games last year the Bills faced Tua right?  And those games, Tua passed for 184 yards and 1 TD in week 3 then 234 and 2 TD's in week 14.  OMG Its Tua Armageddon for the Bills pass defense lmao.  

Rodgers?  Ok, him joining the Jets certainly makes the Jets stronger no doubt.  But the Bills secondary faced Rodgers last year and Rodgers threw for 203 yards, 2 TD's and 1 INT.  So lets not pretend our secondary did not show well against Rodgers during this period where we have had the top passing defense in the NFL the last 3 years.

And are you really suggesting Bill O'Brien is going to turn the Pats into some aerial attack force with Mac Jones and a weak group of passing weapons?  A team that is geared up to be a run first team?

Edited by Alphadawg7

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not sure White will ever be back to his pre injury form but even if so he was always a bit on the overrated side.

If he can't return to that form or anything close to it this is likely his last season in Buffalo anyway given expectations this roster is going to look vastly different next year given pending cap situation.

As someone who is not a fan of this team, I am quite sure that you hope tre doesn’t make it back to his former form

Now I’m rooting for him harder than ever

On 9/5/2023 at 5:25 PM, BarleyNY said:

Obviously. But the question was whether or not we think Tre is back to form. Based on what I saw late last season I expect him to be. Pretty simple. 

Last year, end of season Tre still had trouble turning one way and running.  the other way was ok.  He was not back last year.  We will see.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2023 at 11:08 AM, Dillenger4 said:

The ones that counted. I didn't hear his name because he wasn't making plays. I heard his name too much because he was overrated. I'm a long-time Bills fan... Tre has been a mediocre over glorified CB.

We will see... I sure hope he can elevate his play.

we will see. I sure hope you are correct.

First Team All-Pro in 2019 and Second Team All-Pro in 2020..... like... .players don't just luck into those awards.....

• Eyeroll 1

Playing 10 yards off the receiver and then chasing him down after the catch-- that's basically White (thought he was a bit overrated pre-injury). Just watch him against Wilson.

Unfortunately, I see the Bills with a mediocre group of CB's (Benford, 6th rounder, starting over Elam-- 1st round pick, and Jackson, a 7th rounder). Safeties are top-notch, but injuries and age may take their toll.

• Dislike 2

On 9/5/2023 at 10:57 AM, Dillenger4 said:

I sure hope so! I was never a big Tre fan in the first place. I think he had a lot of good games vs less talented teams. He built stats in games where he piled the tackles, int's in meaningless games. But when we face a good team with good receivers he is absent. He does not attack like a "new NFL" CB. he doesn't have and never did have that animal instinct. Tre is good (or can be) but not great. He worries me too and NFL coaches know this. Monday night will sure show us a lot. My worry is we will watch the Tre-get-burned holding his hands up in the air Tre... like we usually do.

I can say with 1000% certainty that “13 seconds” never would’ve happened if Tre White was on the field. People act like he’s done at 28 years old. Yes, he went through a major injury, but he’s also got a little less wear & tear on the rest of his body. Willis McGahee had one of the nastiest knee injuries I’ve ever seen to come back and have a very solid career. This was like 20 years ago. Adrian Peterson had a similar injury too and rebounded with a 2k yard season. There’s a ton of other examples, but these are off the top of my head. Obviously, he could lose a step, but Tre at 90% is still very effective.

• Dislike 1

On 9/5/2023 at 12:08 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Some Bills fans, not all.

On 9/5/2023 at 11:59 AM, Bangarang said:

Bills fans constantly living in a state of fear and paranoia 

On 9/5/2023 at 12:08 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Some Bills fans, not all.

Yes, and the franchise's long list of championships and accolades demonstrates how clearly ridiculous this is.

Oh wait!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.