Kelce’s plea for Chris Jones to end his holdout

BillsFan619

12 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I really hope the lions can steal this game and really beat them up physically.

I don't think the Lions are that good but if Kelce doesn't play I could see it being closer than people expected. I think KC wins but hopefully like you said it's a physical game and the Chiefs limp into the rest of the season 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

giphy.gif 

He has to sign by week 8 I believe to keep half of his salary for the year.  So it will be by week 8 or it may not happen.

And if he doesn't report by week 8, his contract would just extend to next year under the same terms as this season.

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

And if he doesn't report by week 8, his contract would just extend to next year under the same terms as this season.

Right but then doesn't he basically forfeit any pay for the season as well as still accrue fines for the rest of the year if he doesn't report by then?

He's already paid 2m in fines.  I doubt he wants to spend more money over a full season than the different in where they are in contract negotiations.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Irony is that Jones has a better chance to play than Kelce. 

If anything not having Kelce for potentially multiple games to start the season is exactly what Jones and his camp want because now they have even more leverage on their side.

Not a good day for Veach and the KC front office that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If anything not having Kelce for potentially multiple games to start the season is exactly what Jones and his camp want because now they have even more leverage on their side.

Not a good day for Veach and the KC front office that's for sure.

i agree 100%

and this makes it better for kelce because:

Lions

@Jags

Bears

@Jets

@Vikings

Broncos

Chargers

@Broncos

Dolphins

Eagles

Raiders

@Packers

Bills

@Patriots

Raiders

Bengals
@Chargers

They could use him for the Jags but they won't need him for the first half of the season. I ain't buying the Vikings this year like last. The Jets are the Jets and that is the only game I would prefer to want him full.

If he's tweaked at all let him get as much rest as needed for the back end of the schedule.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't think the Lions are that good but if Kelce doesn't play I could see it being closer than people expected. I think KC wins but hopefully like you said it's a physical game and the Chiefs limp into the rest of the season 

I’d be shocked if KC beat Detroit without Kelce and Jones.  

3 hours ago, Doc said:

How so?

Tagging a player means you have to pay him the greater of the designated amount for the position or 120% of current salary plus any earned incentives.  The DT tag for 2023 is just under $19 million.  Jones was set to earn a little over $27 million in 2023, so his tag number for 2024 would be over $32 million.  If he misses game checks and incentives in 2023, his franchise number reduces by 120% of whatever the value of the lost compensation is.  

If he misses 7 game checks, he’s also going to miss all of his incentives.  His tag number for next season would then be based entirely on the position designation.  That will increase to roughly $20 million next season or about $12 million less than what it would have been had he showed up on time.  So if he misses 7 games, he’s going to lose out on $15 million or so this season plus potentially $12 million next season.  

Plus, there was no chance that he would have been tagged next season if for no other reason than eating a $32 million cap number is untenable.  Now, any team would be crazy not to tag him for $20 million.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

Wow! Talk about over stepping.  Players usually stay out of their teammates contract issues. If I was Jones, I’d be pissed. He does not get millions of dollars in endorsement money like Kelce does, so Kelce should mind his own business.  

(that being said, anything to weaken the Chiefs, makes me happy). 

I like it.  When a team has Super Bowl aspirations, they should want their teammates to be there to help achieve their goals.  To me, the “staying out of it” is BS!

3 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Difference is Bosa is tied as the best player with Watt 2nd only to Josh.

And Jones is 29 vs Bosa's 25, no chance Jones gets another long term deal with major guarantees unless it's front loaded and full of cap/contract shenanigans so that KC could cut loose in ~3 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.