Beane concerned with Kyle Allen?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Josh Allen is like 85% of the offense. If he goes down, doesn’t matter who the backup QB is. 

although true, wouldn't you rather have a competent Frank Reich type of back up then the 2 incompetent scrubs presently on the roster. now, I'm not saying there is a FR type out there and available but most likely there is a bit better one they could at least bring in and fill the present void at back up QB?

I will reemphasis your take as far as JA going down with an injury would be near doom but I would feel a lot better with a back up other than the 2 scrubs on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

I live outside the U.S., so I have to watch the feed from DAZN (which is awful, but that's another story)

This week we got the Chicago feed. The announcers were Jim Miller and some other guy. They actually did a good job focusing on both clubs, not only paying attention to the Bears.

But here's the interesting part. During the commercials, the feed stayed with the stadium broadcast. In one break, Miller and his partner's mics were left on and we got to hear their off air conversation. This is almost a direct quote (not sure if it was Miller or his partner who was speaking)

"Beane told me Allen has struggled from the very beginning. He just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him. He said he was very concerned."

Anyone else want to corroborate what I heard?

I have the game recorded and I’ll be watching today or tomorrow and ill

listen for it. Any rough idea what quarter this was said at?

36 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Josh Allen is like 85% of the offense. If he goes down, doesn’t matter who the backup QB is. 

While you are correct in that is how the offense looks when Allen is out there...it would be nice to have a guy that can at least keep the Bills competitive should Josh miss time.

If Josh misses 10+ games, sure most teams are sunk with a backup for that long. A 2-4 game stretch? Not so much. For that little amount of time it's possible to stay in games by altering the gameplan a bit. Lean a bit more on the run game and have a game manager at QB. For example, look at what the Cowboys with Cooper Rush last year. 

This season ESPECIALLY with the talent of the other AFCE teams (on paper) going 0-4 over a month as opposed to a guy that can keep us even at 2-2 may be the difference between the division title and missing the playoffs all together.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

I live outside the U.S., so I have to watch the feed from DAZN (which is awful, but that's another story)

This week we got the Chicago feed. The announcers were Jim Miller and some other guy. They actually did a good job focusing on both clubs, not only paying attention to the Bears.

But here's the interesting part. During the commercials, the feed stayed with the stadium broadcast. In one break, Miller and his partner's mics were left on and we got to hear their off air conversation. This is almost a direct quote (not sure if it was Miller or his partner who was speaking)

"Beane told me Allen has struggled from the very beginning. He just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him. He said he was very concerned."

Anyone else want to corroborate what I heard?

I don't buy it!!

Josh Allen has looked very good.  Granted once in awhile he's struggled, but for the most part has done well.

5 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea they don't just shut down leaks in their front office and then be tossing info out to media people no matter how well they know them. They don't need to know certain things.

For the love, you really think GMs are not humans?  It doesn’t take a genius to see what everyone else does and for him to say something along those lines in a casual conversation would not at all surprise me.  

I have personally interacted with past GMs, while they were on the job, their passion is football, they talk football and yes they talk about the players.  They hear/see what fans/media say, it’s not like they are robots in a bubble.   I was speaking with a former GM and brought up a big signing and asked him point blank if he really thought it was worth it, he gave me a real answer about the player and ended it with “I hope it works out, because I’ll be out of a job if it doesn’t”.  For those that care, it did work out pretty well and he’s still out of a job 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No

If you tell a reporter something off the record it's not going to be repeated to a coworker, and definitely not in a professional setting w recording equipment rolling

But that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.  

He’s clearly not good.  It’s plain as day that we could and should upgrade.  

why do you think the announcer would just make this up?

25 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

I would be cutting Kyle Allen today, and picking up Will Grier tomorrow. 

Yeah.. about that.. step one, fine.  Step 2, hard pass.

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

While you are correct in that is how the offense looks when Allen is out there...it would be nice to have a guy that can at least keep the Bills competitive should Josh miss time.

If Josh misses 10+ games, sure most teams are sunk with a backup for that long. A 2-4 game stretch? Not so much. For that little amount of time it's possible to stay in games by altering the gameplan a bit. Lean a bit more on the run game and have a game manager at QB. For example, look at what the Cowboys with Cooper Rush last year. 

This season ESPECIALLY with the talent of the other AFCE teams (on paper) going 0-4 over a month as opposed to a guy that can keep us even at 2-2 may be the difference between the division title and missing the playoffs all together.

This is exactly right.  This offense without Allen is a bottom 10 offense, BUT if you have somebody that can at least not screw up and make the basic plays, you have a chance to win a couple games.  To me, Barkley is the better choice for that of the options we have.  The guy isn’t a world beater, but he can compete.  Kyle Allen is just not good enough.  He’s had chances on other teams and couldn’t do much there either.  He’s a better athlete and has a better arm, but he’s not a good QB.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He he goes down for the season, it doesn’t matter, season is over.  If he goes down for a 1-5 games, our season isn’t over and we need a QB that can scrape together some W’s.  

• Agree 3

There's a reason they brought in Kyle Allen instead of just elevating Matt Barkley to the active roster: Allen has been pretty standard backup QB quality. Barkley has been horrible.

Allen, career: 7-12, 82.2 QB rating, 26 TD, 21 INT

Barkley:  2-5, 66.6 QB rating, 11 TD, 22 INT

Heaven forbid Josh misses 5 games. Depending on the part of the schedule, I could see Kyle Allen winning 2 or 3, keeping us right in the thick of the race.

Barkley? No.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He he goes down for the season, it doesn’t matter, season is over.  If he goes down for a 1-5 games, our season isn’t over and we need a QB that can scrape together some W’s.  

A pragmatic approach to a backup is can they give you 50/50 or 2-2 in a 4 game stretch.  I don’t think we have that on our roster.  We had it with Keenum and Trubisky.

If I’m Beane, I’d quietly get in touch with Rivers and Ryan and see if we needed them, would they be willing to come back for a couple of games.  Covertly work then out, and keep as an insurance policy.

SF was looking at Rivers for the SB if they made it past Philly.  He doesn’t cost anything on the cap, but a gentleman agreement you’ll compensate handsomely if he’s needed.  You’re also motivating him to stay in shape.

There won’t be any real viable backups that shake loose tomorrow.  At least I don’t think so.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It doesn’t have to be that way though. Obviously,  you can’t fully replace Allen but look at the 49ers last year. Or the Eagles winning a SB. jacoby Briskett was a statistically top 10 qb when he played last year. Bridgewater was out there. 

Barkley is one of the worst modern qbs of all time. Allen is just a JAg and there’s a reason he doesn’t last more than a year on any team. 

its bs to the rest of this roster to just say if Allen gets hurt, seasons over. Because if doesn’t have to be.

9 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'm sure Fitz would sign with the Bills if they asked

I would have loved if they tried this.  He would have been one of the top backups in the league.  But Fitz has a really cushy gig. It’s gotta be tough to leave that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Ehh, Kyle Allen ≠ John Allen ... Reading

____

I don't buy it!!

Josh Allen has looked very good.  Granted once in awhile he's struggled, but for the most part has done well.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I have the game recorded and I’ll be watching today or tomorrow and ill

listen for it. Any rough idea what quarter this was said at?

It was after the INT at  3.07 in the first Q.  On the international DAZN feed.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

A pragmatic approach to a backup is can they give you 50/50 or 2-2 in a 4 game stretch.  I don’t think we have that on our roster.  We had it with Keenum and Trubisky.

If I’m Beane, I’d quietly get in touch with Rivers and Ryan and see if we needed them, would they be willing to come back for a couple of games.  Covertly work then out, and keep as an insurance policy.

SF was looking at Rivers for the SB if they made it past Philly.  He doesn’t cost anything on the cap, but a gentleman agreement you’ll compensate handsomely if he’s needed.  You’re also motivating him to stay in shape.

There won’t be any real viable backups that shake loose tomorrow.  At least I don’t think so.

Agreed with this but there is 0 chance Rivers comes back to ride the bench. Of course, he has 100 kids and might want to get away. 

ryan is interesting. He seemed like he wanted to keep playing but he was so bad last year. Still, he would be a big upgrade to what we have.

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Who cares who the backup QB is. If Allen is out a significant amount of time it’s draft talk time.

I care because I know that some injuries won’t cause a player to miss significant time.  

our QB puts himself in harms way more than most.  I don’t see why we wouldn’t want a more capable backup

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There's a reason they brought in Kyle Allen instead of just elevating Matt Barkley to the active roster: Allen has been pretty standard backup QB quality. Barkley has been horrible.

Allen, career: 7-12, 82.2 QB rating, 26 TD, 21 INT

Barkley:  2-5, 66.6 QB rating, 11 TD, 22 INT

Heaven forbid Josh misses 5 games. Depending on the part of the schedule, I could see Kyle Allen winning 2 or 3, keeping us right in the thick of the race.

Barkley? No.

The bad thing is though, they could have still got a better backup than Allen. Minchew wad available at the time and to me, he's far better than both Kyle Allen and Barkley. Not sure why Beane didn't sign him

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean whether he said it or not them being in on Lance kinda proves the point, right? 

I expect someone else to be on the Bills roster by the end of the week as a backup QB. Kyle Allen on the PS but possibly with him elevated week 1 to serve as the backup giving the new guy 2 full weeks to learn the offense.

Just reading this thread.  I think you're right.  I was stunned that they were looking at Lance; he just doesn't seem like a fit, although I suppose he's sort of like the Trubisky case.  But the fact that they were looking is what is telling.  

Still, I'd think that they don't want to give up on Kyle as the long-term backup.  He has the basic skills, and as has been said, Keenum didn't jump right in and pick it all up at once, either.  

We'll know in a day or two.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.