Colts grant Jonathan Taylor’s request to seek trade

Big Blitz

1 minute ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Colts playing dirty. They know no teams gonna trade for him right now. Teams don’t have cap space right now to give him the deal he wants. 

Meh, while it does restrict somewhat, whats stopping a team from giving the Watson type contract, $1m this year, then pump up the next 2-4 years of contract + GUARANTEED $$

Someone on Twitter said that RBs are gonna have to start negotiating differently. When their rookie contracts are up, they will have to start negotiating shorter term, higher paid deals. Something like 2 years $30 million and then go from there. That way teams aren't locked into almost 30 year old RBs on 5 year deals. The RBs won't like it. But it may be the best way for them to go

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Good grief! Here we go, how many pages will this run? 

It doesn’t deserve one page, but the redundancy machine will rev up and go out of control, 😂

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And the anonymous source tweets begin...more will certainly come.

So a team with a bad OL who wasn't willing to pay another talented RB in Dalvin is now going to both pay him even more money and give up draft assets (that they will need as their cap balloons soon) for a guy who is coming off am injury and a down year?  

Color me skeptical.  They could have just signed Dalvin cheaper and not had to trade any assets.  And Dalvin was making it clear he wanted to play there too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Someone on Twitter said that RBs are gonna have to start negotiating differently. When their rookie contracts are up, they will have to start negotiating shorter term, higher paid deals. Something like 2 years $30 million and then go from there. That way teams aren't locked into almost 30 year old RBs on 5 year deals. The RBs won't like it. But it may be the best way for them to go

AAV of 15M is top 3 at the position.

Most of the RB woes aren’t dealing with contract #2, but contract #3. They are trying to negotiate contract #2 to compensate, and that’s where they are losing the battle. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a team with a bad OL who wasn't willing to pay another talented RB in Dalvin is now going to both pay him even more money and give up draft assets (that they will need as their cap balloons soon) for a guy who is coming off a down injury filled year who had one exceptional year when he was playing behind the best OL in the NFL?  

Color me skeptical.  They could have just signed Dalvin cheaper and not had to trade any assets.  And Dalvin was making it clear he wanted to play there too.  

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but to pretend like Dalvin Cook and Jonathan Taylor are apples:apples is laughable...

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a team with a bad OL who wasn't willing to pay another talented RB in Dalvin is now going to both pay him even more money and give up draft assets (that they will need as their cap balloons soon) for a guy who is coming off a down injury filled year who had one exceptional year when he was playing behind the best OL in the NFL?  

Dolphins also are way over the cap in 2024. Obviously they can make lots of moves but they are hardly the pinnacle of overpaying for an RB in the nfl

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Funny because even those all these teams refuse to pay these guys, the Colts will now turn around and demand an arm and a leg in trade compensation.

Allowing Taylor to seek a trade is like allowing Lamar to seek a trade. They want him to see his market, then come crawling back.

• Agree 5

25 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

This is awesome! Dump the new Jets guy and sign Taylor! The more running backs the merrier.

Taylor isn't a free agent so they can't just "sign" him. Bills will have to give up something of value and then probably do a new deal.  He is still on PUP ,anyways, so...

8 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but to pretend like Dalvin Cook and Jonathan Taylor are apples:apples is laughable...

I respectfully disagree there is some huge gap between these two RB's...Taylor had one great year behind one of the best OL's in football as the main focal point of the offense.  The other 2 seasons Taylors production isnt any better than Cooks and Cook didn't have the benefit of being on a run first team behind an elite OL.  

So I am gonna have to say this feels like a stretch to act like there is a vast difference in the quality of these two players.  Plus, you can make a case that Cook is a better fit given he comes from a pass first team where Taylor wants to be paid top dollar and the focal point of the offense.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dolphins also are way over the cap in 2024. Obviously they can make lots of moves but they are hardly the pinnacle of overpaying for an RB in the nfl

Allowing Taylor to seek a trade is like allowing Lamar to seek a trade. They want him to see his market, then come crawling back.

This.  Dolphins weren't willing to pay Cook enough to come there, I seriously doubt they are looking to spend more on Taylor with their upcoming cap.  Not to mention having to send Indy valuable draft capital they will need with their cap ballooning soon to help keep the roster up.  

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

We don’t have money to pay him. 

More like...we don't have a line to support him. I am terrified to see us force the run this year and never get more than 2-3 yards each time. Dorsey is the most important person on this team (besides Allen) as he will have to get Kincaid, Knox and Cook heavily involved in the passing game (in addition to the usual suspects). 

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

AAV of 15M is top 3 at the position.

Most of the RB woes aren’t dealing with contract #2, but contract #3. They are trying to negotiate contract #2 to compensate, and that’s where they are losing the battle. 

Which brings it back to my point. They will need to take a shorter term higher paid deal and then go from there. Teams aren't gonna lock long term contracts on RBs anymore

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.