I’m watching the replay and...

oldmanfan

1.  Milano, Dodson and Jackson got blocked out on the TD run and Poyer took a bad path.  Well blocked by the Steelers

2.  Milano got beat on the TD pass after the big punt return.

3.  Brown blocked fine the first series.

So thus far I’m seeing some different stuff than others

Our second series:

1.  Dawkins got beat but Josh got it to Davis.  Brown OK again

2.  Cook dancing too much

3.  When Josh gets it out quick we are usually successful

4. Dawkins beat again with power this time

5.  That was not a block in the back

6.  Brown beat there and held to save Josh. Him and Dawkins need to anchor better.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

More input at 14-0:

1.  Special teams poor, but should be better once they have the guys they know they’ll use each week

2.  Good double by Benford and Poyer

3.  D line playing OK.  Klein with a missed tackle

I’ll stop here.  It’s what I thought I’d see.  A couple concerns, Dawkins to me primarily.  But all the rest I read last night and this morning is overblown.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Seems consistent with the analysis others are putting out today and what I saw.

I hope they eventually go with Milano/Williams or Milano/Bernard at LB. I'll take the athletic upside and playmaking ability along with the mental mistakes. They're young guys who gotta learn anyway. Dodson or Klein is not the answer.

The OL had a rough night against a Steelers team constantly blitzing, but overall they still seem improved. The interior particularly seems better. If the tackles simply play to their usual standard, the line looks better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I hope they eventually go with Milano/Williams or Milano/Bernard at LB. I'll take the athletic upside and playmaking ability along with the mental mistakes. They're young guys who gotta learn anyway. Dodson or Klein is not the answer.

The OL had a rough night against a Steelers team constantly blitzing, but overall they still seem improved. The interior particularly seems better. If the tackles simply play to their usual standard, the line looks better.

The one thing I saw that others did was Dawkins.   He got beat 3 times in that first quarter.  He needs to step it up, or I can see the Dutch kid or the Gator FA kid getting that spot.  Your LT can’t get beat like that.  On the other hand Brown has looked OK to me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

2- Steelers d line was pushing bills o line back 2-3 yards. Nowhere to go

3- that’s been true for several seasons. Needs to happen consistently.

you missed the plethora of penalties. 

Not the end of the world- in a glimpse, they look the same as last year with a better tightend and a more vulnerable defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

2- Steelers d line was pushing bills o line back 2-3 yards. Nowhere to go

3- that’s been true for several seasons. Needs to happen consistently.

you missed the plethora of penalties. 

Not the end of the world- in a glimpse, they look the same as last year with a better tightend and a more vulnerable defense. 

Yeah didn’t bring up the penalties but that’s just ridiculous.  Guys need to start getting benched.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

standards. Dometimes a wrong read may turn into a he played that well because he's where the qb didn't expect him to be.   

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  Milano, Dodson and Jackson got blocked out on the TD run and Poyer took a bad path.  Well blocked by the Steelers

2.  Milano got beat on the TD pass after the big punt return.

3.  Brown blocked fine the first series.

So thus far I’m seeing some different stuff than others

Our second series:

1.  Dawkins got beat but Josh got it to Davis.  Brown OK again

4. Dawkins beat again with power this time

5.  That was not a block in the back

6.  Brown beat there and held to save Josh. Him and Dawkins need to anchor better.

#3, yes. Getting the ball out quick was Brady’s bread and butter. Todays NFL O-line can rarely hold the blocks very long of the faster, stronger D linemen of this era. 
I’ve said all along, take the short stuff. It’s higher percentage, keeps chains moving, keeps ball from opposing team’s hands while controlling clock. 
I believe that’s where Dorsey is trying to steer the offense. Will Josh quit with the hero ball? 

• Agree 5

Dorsey needs to assess quick in game that “I have an oline problem today” and adjust.  

Not saying they did this last night - but against the Jets if guys are getting whooped I would take that immediately as that might not get fixed tonight.  

And if you can actually run the ball and have success getting rid of it quick that will assist in letting the D line think they can just tee off.   

If I wasn’t worried that there is something wrong with Dawkins I wouldn’t be worried about the Oline as much.  If Spencer is the only issue we can work with that.  

• Like (+1) 2

We should be using the Brown pancake block as an example of how good he can be if he figures it out..

Instead it was incorrectly flagged and led to more confirmation bias.  

Not to say he isn’t a concern, but how that play was wrongly officiated unfairly dug in perceptions of his play. 

Josh and offense did not have all the tools at their disposal last night. Plus the interior line played fine. Dion gets better as season goes along every year. But protections weren't adjusted for last night. 

Good or bad you can't put alot of stock into preseason. It's basically not real.

Penalties yes the are real, but sometimes they are a consequence of not being in rhythm and not being confident because there is no gameplan. 

I'm not putting a lot of stock into what all I saw last night.

@oldmanfan thanks for the write up and report.

I will say Brown getting beat by Markus Golden last night is a problem and that is real and he needs to fix that immediately.

Edited by akcash
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, HOUSE said:

Come on

Nobody watched this game twice

If you call 911, nobody will even show up

I didn’t watch it last night.  I live in Indiana so I had to record the replay on NFL Network.  So I focused on Brown and Dawkins since everyone complained about them.  And Brown was nowhere near as bad as people were saying.  Dawkins though...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.