Our RT / Swing tackle situation

SydneyBillsFan

To keep it short - I am very concerned about our starting RT and our OT depth.

Heck, even Dion has me a little nervous, although I am hopeful he will be above average when it matters and when he gets familiar with his new guard.

So.... am I being a worry wart or is this a genuine problem?

• Like (+1) 1

You are right to worry because our GM wastes 3rd round picks on smurf linebackers while neglecting the OT spots. 

If Brown is a bust you really have to start questioning every move Beane makes on the OL. He said all offseason all Brown needed was a healthy offseason.

Bills only hope is for Brown and Dawkins to be average. Torrence should start and Bates should be your utility OL at C and OT. 

• Like (+1) 8

42 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

To keep it short - I am very concerned about our starting RT and our OT depth.

Heck, even Dion has me a little nervous, although I am hopeful he will be above average when it matters and when he gets familiar with his new guard.

So.... am I being a worry wart or is this a genuine problem?

first we’ll need to know your level of CONCERN on the TBD concern-o-meter. Are you at 6.5 or above? Better address that soon! Less than 6? Might get by this season…

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

Paying Dawkins franchise LT money with hopes of being “average” kinda says it all about Beane. 

Dawkins is a good LT. he’s proven that. What he was paid (and it wasn’t as “average”) is just market standard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Dawkins is not that good either. Both him and Brown are inconsistent and do a lot of holding.  They both get a lot of penalties.  Dawkins seems to have weight issues.   Brown has great length and athleticism yet he easily gets pushed off his center of gravity.  It all looks identical to last year so when they play teams with good edge rushers it’s gonna be josh running around.   They should work on quick passes IMO.  Hopefully they don’t extend Dawkins.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

They seem to be sticking him at Guard, but I'm wondering if David Edwards might see some reps this week at tackle. 

I was thinking the same thing.  The bottom line is you have to get your best 5 linemen on the field.  If that means Edwards or even Bates at tackle, then that's what you do.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think they'll be picking up a tackle at cut down time. The issues were strikingly evident against the Steelers defense. Can't go into the season without a backup plan behind Brown. Maybe Brown finally proves himself, but up to now, he simply hasn't.

Unfortunately, the cut down date seems like an eternity from now....Aug 29.

The offensive play calling and what Josh Allen wants to do at QB needs to change from last season, teams have figured out that all you need to do with the current Allen led offense is to rush the passer and not worry about the run at all or even any sort of quick pass. Everything is long developing plays

You start calling quick slants, actual screen plays, runs from under center the offensive line will start to look better since defensive ends and line backers can't just tee off on rushing the passer. It won't even matter if these plays are super successful the act of running these plays will keep the opposing defense honest in coverage

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

We all knew the OL would make or break our season just as it did last year.  

of course it’s a genuine problem.  It’s looks to be a massive genuine problem. 

Not sure how anyone can see it as anything other than this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

I think they'll be picking up a tackle at cut down time. The issues were strikingly evident against the Steelers defense. Can't go into the season without a backup plan behind Brown. Maybe Brown finally proves himself, but up to now, he simply hasn't.

They are going to need to be aggressive and use a draft pick for a swing tackle.  They will never get one on waivers after teams make their cuts this week.

It was clear to me that these two teams approached the game much differently.  Steelers were running d-line stunts, multiple blitzes, and combination pass coverages.  Pretty much like you would game plan in the regular season.  Bills ran vanilla offense and simple defense.  The starters looked like they were just trying to avoid getting hurt (go back and watch Dane Jackson on the long touchdown run). The touchdown pass to Freiermuth was clearly a blown coverage. Dotson was lost in pass coverage on multiple occasions and generally looked bad.  I thought Shakir played poorly also.  On one of the interceptions, it appeared that Barkley was expecting an in cut and Shakir continued up the sideline into double coverage.  Shorter and Isabella clearly outplayed him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.