Well that was an absolute crap fest - PostGame thread

Einstein

It doesn't look like Josh is decisive in knowing where he wants to go with the ball. Almost like he has to see it first. The line didn't exactly help but Josh plays a role. I would be less concerned if it wasn't similar to how he looked a lot of last year. 

Kincaid, as Einstein has said a few times, is great with leverage. 

It will be interesting to see what the team looks like week 1. I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out, but I also don't think it's completely nothing to see either. We were very bad in nearly every area and created more questions marks in key areas like the OL and defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

We are what we are at DL and CB. I think we can get by in those areas.

MLB and OT are flat out frightening right now. Add backup QB as well to a lesser degree

Barkley just played his way off the team. Kyle hasn’t been great either but he has the better arm and you hope he gets more comfortable as he learns the offense. However, if Allen misses extended time we are done regardless. Would look to develop younger QB on the practice squad versus keeping Barkley around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

The penalties and the inability to generate any offense flow or stop on defense is concerning.

Yes, this game does not count. Still, the Bills got outplayed, outcoached, and they definitely are not as far along as I would hope a few weeks until the season starts.

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Penalties killed us

Even if we blew them out most importantly there were no injuries to starters or key depth guys.

Dawkins and Brown were awful.  Dawkins has been so average for years now

On the bright side, Davis and Kincaid could make doubling Diggs a problem.  

Our OL ? has not been resolved. DD is average but will come around. RT was actually more important than RG… so we missed on a RT who could challenge SB. Like SB but that’s an absolutely huge concern. 
D me think McDermy is laying low. But even if PS it was dreadful!!!

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

Barkley just played his way off the team. Kyle hasn’t been great either but he has the better arm and you hope he gets more comfortable as he learns the offense. However, if Allen misses extended time we are done regardless. Would look to develop younger QB on the practice squad versus keeping Barkley around.

Felt to me like Barkley tried too hard to keep up the momentum from last week after being promoted to QB2 for today.

29 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

After a fluke start of the Steelers scoring 2 TDs on 2 plays, they did a whole lot of diddly and squat against our defense the rest of the game.  After the opening drive, they never again scored points on a drive from further than midfield.

They ended up going...

- punt

- punt

- punt

- TD from on drive starting on our 7 yard line that should have been a FG

- FG on a drive starting in our red zone 

- FG on drive starting mid field

- fumble

- punt

- punt

Wasn't the first time the Steelers pulled a fluke win on us.  Kyle Allen and Barkley made mistakes trying to out-gunsling the other after Barkley's performance last week heated up the competition for QB2.

*edit*

And of course THIRTEEN penalties didn't help.  No idea what to say about that part.

To be fair, the Steelers pulled their offensive starters after those two possessions. They looked like they could have their way with our defense, very Bengals-like. Of course, it is the preseason and there’s no game plan or areas of emphasis to stop… but 1s vs 1s, the Bills got their @**es handed to them. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

It doesn't look like Josh is decisive in knowing where he wants to go with the ball. Almost like he has to see it first. The line didn't exactly help but Josh plays a role. I would be less concerned if it wasn't similar to how he looked a lot of last year. 

Kincaid, as Einstein has said a few times, is great with leverage. 

It will be interesting to see what the team looks like week 1. I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out, but I also don't think it's completely nothing to see either. We were very bad in nearly every area and created more questions marks in key areas like the OL and defense. 

Also looks like Josh is still leaving clean pockets far too early which invites the rush and shortens the field. He’ll have to learn to trust this version of the OL, but with Spencer and Dion on the edges giving up pressures to nameless guys, it’s a lot to ask. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

To be fair, the Steelers pulled their offensive starters after those two possessions. They looked like they could have their way with our defense, very Bengals-like. Of course, it is the preseason and there’s no game plan or areas of emphasis to stop… but 1s vs 1s, the Bills got their @**es handed to them. 

1s vs 1s getting our butts handed to us lasted all of 2 TDs on 2 plays for the Steelers.  It's called a fluke.  They averaged 4.4 yards per play INCLUDING those 87 yards on 2 plays, compared to our 5.8 yards per play.

*edit* 

Outside those 2 TDs, the math works out to 3.1 yards per play for them.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Also looks like Josh is still leaving clean pockets far too early which invites the rush and shortens the field. He’ll have to learn to trust this version of the OL, but with Spencer and Dion on the edges giving up pressures to nameless guys, it’s a lot to ask. 

He literally didn’t have time to throw on any single pass play rewatch the three drives Dawkins and Brown weren’t just bad they looked USFL level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Spencer brown simply isn’t good enough.

Got a bad feeling he’s going to hold this team back this year, I hope I’m wrong

Same as it's been for awhile. The team goes as far as the OLine allows.

What was it? #1 vs #2 OLine in the SB last year?

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He literally didn’t have time to throw on any single pass play rewatch the three drives Dawkins and Brown weren’t just bad they looked USFL level. 

Multiple plays where 3 (3!) OLinemen looked to be completely turned around by their man. 

13 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I thought Josh (and Kincaid and Davis) looked pretty good, among a terrible overall starting unit performance...

I was most worried about the lack of short options on a number of plays.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He does not have any confidence in his OL. Probably with cause. His running ability is great but he is going to it too quickly.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Are you really comparing a meaningless preseason game to the season opener?  We seemed ready to go in the NFL opener last year.  To quote a certain qb, “Relax.”

Fair.  But it’s not a switch you turn on - plus the team has rookies and guys trying to make the team. 

We fight and throw helmets in practice.  Let’s at least get hyped to block TJ Watt and cover George Pickens (we could have drafted him instead of Elam to).  

I have no issues with being critical during the season. But this was a  preseason game...with vanilla schemes...no game planning... and starters playing to not get hurt in a meaningless game. I'm not worried right now.

Edited by somnus00
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

1s vs 1s getting our butts handed to us lasted all of 2 TDs on 2 plays for the Steelers.  It's called a fluke.  They averaged 4.4 yards per play INCLUDING those 87 yards on 2 plays, compared to our 5.8 yards per play.

*edit* 

Outside those 2 TDs, the math works out to 3.1 yards per play for them.

I mean, you can’t just take away their TDs. Would the Steelers have scored a 3rd if their starters remained in the game? Who knows, but they were clearly winning. You call it two fluke plays, I call it superior execution.

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh yeah, not arguing against Dawkins and Brown, both were terrible. But there was one play in particular on the opening drive, the 3rd down I believe, where he did have time and decided to roll out to his right anyway, which brought the rush in his face and took away half the field. The result was a throw that landed nowhere really.

• Like (+1) 1

It's just preseason but I was pretty disappointed that these guys were unprepared.  I don't care about losing.  I don't even care about getting blown out.  It's the mental mistakes and penalties.  Especially from vets.  This should not happen from a team of this caliber and I blame this on coaching.  There are terrible teams that look better than this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.