Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

No.

I dont follow the rosters that closely.

But, whoever the top 2 or 3 of them are, regardless of level, should be looking at coming here, if invited.  And it sounds like those 2-3 guys might be better than what we are cutting loose.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't actually think someone is going to cut a decent reserve offensive tackle,  do you?

Not happening.

6 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

He hasn’t had that truly terrible game yet???

Haven't even seen the game yet.

But one bad preseason game against Watt? Not an important indicator. 

Again, I haven't seen it yet, but no, not time to hit the panic button. But now they need to be consistently watching. Cause for concern, yes.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Haven't even seen the game yet.

But one bad preseason game against Watt? Not an important indicator. 

Again, I haven't seen it yet, but no, not time to hit the panic button. But now they need to be consistently watching. Cause for concern, yes.

Brown hasn't really looked right since we drafted him - can be a turnstile more often than not.

26 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea and that's how bad brown is that a 41 yr old who's been battered for 20 yrs in nfl is still better than a younger player.

If he is. It's questionable.

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Brown hasn't really looked right since we drafted him - can be a turnstile more often than not.

Well, I'd disagree with that.

He's looked plenty good at times. Certainly not very good at other times. Before the injury he had really started to improve.

And by many reports he's had a good camp overall. Again, haven't seen the game as I figure out how to replace International Game Pass, but I'm certainly willing to believe it was bad.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If he is. It's questionable.

Well, I'd disagree with that.

He's looked plenty good at times. Certainly not very good at other times. Before the injury he had really started to improve.

And by many reports he's had a good camp overall. Again, haven't seen the game as I figure out how to replace International Game Pass, but I'm certainly willing to believe it was bad.

I do agree that the injury has really affected his progress.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, this just did happen this way. 

Again they didn't have to give him the extension a year early and could have had him play under the $425K tender in his 3rd season and then tendered him again the following year.  But they did.  And he didn't even make the Pro Bowl at RT in 2005.

As for what he demanded, I don't recall $13M, but I do recall him wanting to be paid more than Derrick Dockery, who was making $7M/year.  Speaking of which, yes, Brandon must have thought himself such a great negotiator, giving Dockery that deal, when he'd never even made a Pro Bowl. 

As for the Bills not willing to give him $10M/year, there is zero evidence for that.  That was the market rate and Ralph had made other great Bills players the highest-paid in the past.  He just got pissed that he didn't get it when he demanded it and made the decision to leave, ultimately ending up making $10M/year in 2009, which is when the Bills wanted him to wait until anyway.

No, it did not happen that way.

I'm not arguing the time they gave him the extension. But it was a brilliant move by the Bills and worked that way right from minute one and more so as each game passed, particularly when they quickly moved him to LT making him radically undervalued. 

And no he didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2005, his first year to play on the line in his pro career (and college besides). He did have hiccups early but by the middle of the year he was one of the best. He didn't make the Pro Bowl because fans didn't know who he was yet. He was playing excellently and you didn't find anyone saying he wasn't. 

It was absolutely reported by an anonymous source that Peters was asking for $13M and Peters never disagreed. But that was when the Bills were said to be offering around $7M, and as each side made moves they bracketed in on $10M.

And yeah, you're damn right Brandon thought he was a smart negotiator and contract giver after that second contract. In his first year on the line he was already extremely good. The next year he went to the Pro Bowl and in his third and fourth years on the line he was All-Pro ... all under Brandon's RT contract.

If he'd had a Snidely Whiplash moustache, Brandon would have been twirling it. It looked team-friendly early and  extremely team-friendly right from the moment that they switched him to LT.

The evidence they didn't give him $10M is that it took the Eagles about two hours to work out the contract after the trade. Literally. The Eagles signed him al. And that the numbers that came out during negotiations were bracketed right in on $10M. $10M was the widespread guess all through the negotiations and was what he signed ffor in Philly. No, it can't be proved. Yes, it was by far the most likely way it went down and was reported as such at the time.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the Bills wanted him back. None that they were willing to give him the $10M he wanted, especially that year. It was April when he was traded. If they were willing to give him that the same year the Eagles did why didn't they? Why didn't they ever come out and say, "That Eagles contract, we'd offered him that"?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't actually think someone is going to cut a decent reserve offensive tackle,  do you?

Not happening.

There will nearly 1200 cut current roster players available by Tuesday.  Can't be one decent reserve OT in those numbers?

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not happening.

Yep, every team needs 1 or more tackles as depth.  Most teams want versatile ones that can kick inside and hold their own to help with the gameday roster.

If you want a backup tackle you are going to have to find a team that is willing to move one for a draft pick.  

I imagine the discussion depending on the player starts with a 5th rd pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, it did not happen that way.

I'm not arguing the time they gave him the extension. But it was a brilliant move by the Bills and worked that way right from minute one and more so as each game passed, particularly when they quickly moved him to LT making him radically undervalued. 

And no he didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2005, his first year to play on the line in his pro career (and college besides). He did have hiccups early but by the middle of the year he was one of the best. He didn't make the Pro Bowl because fans didn't know who he was yet. He was playing excellently and you didn't find anyone saying he wasn't. 

It was absolutely reported by an anonymous source that Peters was asking for $13M and Peters never disagreed. But that was when the Bills were said to be offering around $7M, and as each side made moves they bracketed in on $10M.

And yeah, you're damn right Brandon thought he was a smart negotiator and contract giver after that second contract. In his first year on the line he was already extremely good. The next year he went to the Pro Bowl and in his third and fourth years on the line he was All-Pro ... all under Brandon's RT contract.

If he'd had a Snidely Whiplash moustache, Brandon would have been twirling it. It looked team-friendly early and  extremely team-friendly right from the moment that they switched him to LT.

The evidence they didn't give him $10M is that it took the Eagles about two hours to work out the contract after the trade. Literally. The Eagles signed him al. And that the numbers that came out during negotiations were bracketed right in on $10M. $10M was the widespread guess all through the negotiations and was what he signed ffor in Philly. No, it can't be proved. Yes, it was by far the most likely way it went down and was reported as such at the time.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the Bills wanted him back. None that they were willing to give him the $10M he wanted, especially that year. It was April when he was traded. If they were willing to give him that the same year the Eagles did why didn't they? Why didn't they ever come out and say, "That Eagles contract, we'd offered him that"?

The point I was making with not even making the Pro Bowl in 2005 is not that he wasn't a promising and soon to be great player, but that the Bills gave him a huge raise when they didn't need to.  And again he had 2 years left on that contract when he demanded a new one.

As for the bolded, again, once they told him to wait a year he fired his previous agent and hired Parker, who I have no doubt told him he should set his sights on a bigger market for even the same money.  And that was it for the Bills and nothing they could do would change his mind.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, LarryMadman said:

Lol, dude is going to be 42 in January! Yeah, no thanks, hard pass!

He'd be on a 1 year deal and a rotational player mostly used on passing downs. He's a mild upgrade to what we have in place. I'm all for keeping Josh upright.  For all that was bad yesterday Josh still throws darts when he has the time.

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If Jason Peters was watching  last night there is no way he is coming here.

He might even fake an ACL

If he was hoping to be a backup and collect a check, last night seemed to change the complexion of things. We would need the old man to EARN it. There ain’t no easy money! 

Nobody knows that better than you!    😋

(Pro tip - bad backs are hard to pin down.) 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There will nearly 1200 cut current roster players available by Tuesday.  Can't be one decent reserve OT in those numbers?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Most teams don't have 2 good tackles so why would any of them have more than 4 playable OT's and just release one?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/19/2023 at 3:59 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I can't imagine Beane signing a nearly 42 year old O-lineman to take a few snaps.

agreed, but I can’t imagine going into the season with no Doyle and the disaster at RT currently.  Not sure there is a better RT around.  Hopefully his age won’t stop Bean.  

Edited by RyanC883

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.