Impressions from game

JMM

So changing the topic: is anyone else particularly interested in the run game the Bills showed?

Last season, the league average for rush attempts was 27 attempts/game and league average rush Y/G 121.6

The Bills were right at the league average with 26.9 attempts/game and above league average with 139.5 rush Y/G, but as many have pointed out, if one subtracts out QB rush attempts and QB rush yards, the Bills were below average with both. 

So I've been very interested to see what the Bills would do with their rush game over the off season.

vs. the Colts, the Bills had 26 attempts (about average) for 82 yards (below average).

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So I've been very interested to see what the Bills would do with their rush game over the off season.

vs. the Colts, the Bills had 26 attempts (about average) for 82 yards (below average).

I bet with Josh in there and the threat his arm and legs bring that the run game gets a lot more potent in the regular season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Dude, I was responding to, and others have been addressing, this post from you:

I don't think anyone said that he made no good passes.  But if people are responding to your post, they're going to be posting to refute the stuff I highlighted, where you seem to be going overboard in his praise.

Of those 8 completions, four were quick pitches or checkdowns to the wide-open RB.  One of those was a toss-up ball during a near-sack that should have been an incomplete pass out of bounds or in the dirt in the direction of Murray, which would have gotten us back to the LOS.  Which leaves us with 3 passes that showed good placement, plus one that required his receiver to jump for it.

Now you can be "more than pleased" if you like, with 3 good throws on 8 completions out of 15 throws, 2 sacks (and a 3rd almost-sack), an INT (and a second near-pick).  You and your 3 fan buddies can relieve him of all responsibility for the sacks, put the responsibility on his receiver for the INT, etc. 

To the rest of us, that's not good enough.  And I believe McDermott made it unambiguous in his post-game presser that's where he is.

But you can't have it both ways.  You said no one is saying he didn't throw any good passes, but I'd say I was responding to overboard criticism.  

He had more than 3 good throws and I didn't say every throw was. "He threw the ball in fantastic placement several times ". You highlighted it.

You can't even get the amount of people I was with right. 

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

JMO.

I saw a very deep team at most positions. LB and T and backup QB are my only worries when it comes to depth and injury concerns this season. I am curious to see how the other Allen does his next time out. He did have a couple of nice throws that were flat out dropped. He did play vs the 1s and 2s, while Barkley went against players who will be FAs in a couple of weeks. Barkley played better on Saturday, but man, some of those throws were floaters with no zip on the ball. Could be EZ pickings.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dopey said:

JMO.

I saw a very deep team at most positions. LB and T and backup QB are my only worries when it comes to depth and injury concerns this season. I am curious to see how the other Allen does his next time out. He did have a couple of nice throws that were flat out dropped. He did play vs the 1s and 2s, while Barkley went against players who will be FAs in a couple of weeks. Barkley played better on Saturday, but man, some of those throws were floaters with no zip on the ball. Could be EZ pickings.

As far as depth goes, I think our D-line is going to be a monster this year once Von is back. So many combinations they can employ. I agree with the Allen comment. I'd like to see a bit more. He did look jumpy and erratic at times. But I'm not as concerned as some folks here. He is new to the team and system. Both Allen-1 and Barkley have been here for years. Yes, Dorsey is only a 2nd year coordinator, but those 3 have been together a long time. 

On a side note; I think Mcdermott/Dorsey will flip the Allen-2 / Barkley rotation with Barkley in before Allen.  I think game 2 it'll be Allen (1-2 series) - Barkley - Allen. 

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

As far as depth goes, I think our D-line is going to be a monster this year once Von is back. So many combinations they can employ. I agree with the Allen comment. I'd like to see a bit more. He did look jumpy and erratic at times. But I'm not as concerned as some folks here. He is new to the team and system. Both Allen-1 and Barkley have been here for years. Yes, Dorsey is only a 2nd year coordinator, but those 3 have been together a long time. 

On a side note; I think Mcdermott/Dorsey will flip the Allen-2 / Barkley rotation with Barkley in before Allen.  I think game 2 it'll be Allen (1-2 series) - Barkley - Allen. 

I watched the replay, not live. I was expecting a lot worse from the comments here. 

So changing the topic: is anyone else particularly interested in the run game the Bills showed?

Last season, the league average for rush attempts was 27 attempts/game and league average rush Y/G 121.6

The Bills were right at the league average with 26.9 attempts/game and above league average with 139.5 rush Y/G, but as many have pointed out, if one subtracts out QB rush attempts and QB rush yards, the Bills were below average with both. 

Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother much with stats from a preseason game.   They're always kind of weird, I think. 

From what I've heard, Cook looked like he could have gone for 100 in the game.   

If Brown is healthy and Torrence for real, Cook running behind them or around them should be interesting to watch.  And Harris and Murray running straight through them may also be good.  

There's a lot to be hopeful for.

If things are going well, Bills should never be in the top 10 teams in rushing, because they won't depend on the running game in most games.   The running game will be a change of pace, perhaps a really deadly change of pace.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:05 PM, Rocky Landing said:

When do we get to stop talking about the heroic return of Damar Hamlin?

When people publically witness someone coming back from the dead, that tends to stay in the news for a really long time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Thoughts?

I'm really liking our run game options this year, for several reasons:

1. Primarily, Cook has continued to show alot of progress, even since late in year when he was already showcasing his talent.

2. Harris/Murray runstyles complement Cook very well

3. Improved IOL

4. Personnel groupings/better blockers at skill positions. Sherfield, Kincaid, Shakir...all offer better versatility than we rolled with LY

Week 1 against the Jets, I think we should be ready for their wide 9 fronts on 2nd/3rd down, and ready to run alot of draws/traps.  Saw it on 2nd and long, in our 2nd drive...dialing up a draw against Colts wide front.  

Teams like the Jets, who had a lot of success just rushing 4 against us LY, we need more balance in the run game/quick passes.  

Not expecting Dorsey to show too much next week or the following.  Just line up and work fundamentals.  Just like we rolled out with some wrinkles for the Rams LY, I expect to see the same (both sides of the ball).

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Chaos said:

When people publically witness someone coming back from the dead, that tends to stay in the news for a really long time. 

Had a coworker drop dead from heart attack and witnessed a maintenance worker perform mouth to mouth and bring his body back to life.

No hoop la or spotlighted shows of appreciation, never even made the local news.

The maintenance working hero was in the cafe eating a hotdog 36 mins later on his break.

• Shocked 1

Just now, julian said:

Had a coworker drop dead from heart attack and witnessed a maintenance worker perform mouth to mouth and bring his body back to life.

No hoop la or spotlighted shows of appreciation, never even made the local news.

The maintenance working hero was in the cafe eating a hotdog 36 mins later on his break.

This seems like a less public event, than one in front of 60000 people on national tv, but I don't know where you work, so I can't be sure. 

• Haha (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't bother much with stats from a preseason game.   They're always kind of weird, I think. 

From what I've heard, Cook looked like he could have gone for 100 in the game.   

If Brown is healthy and Torrence for real, Cook running behind them or around them should be interesting to watch.  And Harris and Murray running straight through them may also be good.  

There's a lot to be hopeful for.

If things are going well, Bills should never be in the top 10 teams in rushing, because they won't depend on the running game in most games.   The running game will be a change of pace, perhaps a really deadly change of pace.  

Maybe Dorsey stays more committed to the run this year. I wouldn't hate a more balanced attack. Would really be difficult for opposing defenses to stop. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe Dorsey stays more committed to the run this year. I wouldn't hate a more balanced attack. Would really be difficult for opposing defenses to stop. 

Yeah, I agree, except when your QB throws like Allen, it's hard not to feature the pass. 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What improved results from do you expect from a more balanced attack?  More points? More yards? Fewer Punts? 

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't want a balanced attack. They run the right amount. They need to run better not more.

I would add that every RB out there should be a legitimate receiving threat, (as well as effective in pass pro). I am of the opinion that the reason Motor lost his job in Buffalo wasn't because of his ability to run the ball, but because several of his drops occurred on check-downs. A drop on a check-down is a lot worse than anything Shakir has dropped.

EDIT: Also, to your point of running better, not more-- If they ran the same amount, but more RB carries, and fewer JA carries, that would be... better.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't want a balanced attack. They run the right amount. They need to run better not more.

I thought that Moss & Motor frequently turned 15 yard gains into 8 yard gains.  This looked good on the stat sheet and padded YPC numbers but represented missed opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What improved results from do you expect from a more balanced attack?  More points? More yards? Fewer Punts? 

You think the offense was flawless last year? Are you trying to imply the Bills offense can't improve? Surely you aren't...

How about limiting turnovers, possessing the ball more and thus limiting other offenses opportunities, being more balanced and even harder to stop, less reliance on Allen running the ball, improved RedZone offense, and scoring more than 10 points in the biggest home playoffs game in decades. 

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I agree, except when your QB throws like Allen, it's hard not to feature the pass. 

I agree. Allen is special but I believe the Bills have to try to be a little more diverse. It's been widely stated in football circles that the Bills have been overly dependent on Allen. 

A solid run game only makes Allen that much more dangerous. I'd argue close to unstoppable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.