Thoughts on Anthony Richardson?

Lost

I don't watch much college ball so I really knew anything about this guy until I saw Chris Brown and Tasker talking about him on One Bills Live.  Guy is built like a linebacker and appears to have an arm like Allen.   Anyone here watched him in college that can provide some insight on what kind of player he is since we'll be seeing a lot of him on Saturday?  Is he future all pro or bust?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lost said:

I don't watch much college ball so I really knew anything about this guy until I saw Chris Brown and Tasker talking about him on One Bills Live.  Guy is built like a linebacker and appears to have an arm like Allen.   Anyone here watched him in college that can provide some insight on what kind of player he is since we'll be seeing a lot of him on Saturday?  Is he future all pro or bust?

I think there are more options than just the two.

He's basically an athletic freak that they're going to try to mold into an NFL QB.

Most of these projects don't work out and I honestly think that Josh Allen has helped these types of QB's because of his success.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10

He looks impressive. If he is coached well and protected well I think he has a bright future. The Colts have the blueprint from the Bills and how the coaches up Josh Allen. Excited to see him play. He was my favourite QB in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lost said:

I find him to have a much higher chance of “bust” over all pro.  He has tools, but struggles reading defenses which - imo - is the single most critical factor in high end QB play.

The other thing is - he is a big dude, but is he going to run with that emphasis that Allen does.  Will he carry that reckless abandon into the NFL, so he can be a dynamic rushing threat.

I absolutely think he is a stash in a QB keeper situation, as he has a small chance of putting it all together. However, I’m not convinced he can

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

He looks impressive. If he is coached well and protected well I think he has a bright future. The Colts have the blueprint from the Bills and how the coaches up Josh Allen. Excited to see him play. He was my favourite QB in the draft. 

Mine too. Big swing type of guy. Seems to have the tools to succeed. Good coach for him too

• Like (+1) 1

The press is really hyping up his "first start against the Buffalo Bills" and his desire to "get the W".  Dude, it's preseason.  The Bills best two offensive players have already been ruled out by the coach.

Meanwhile Thursday in practice:

Richardson will be looking to rebound from a rough practice on Thursday. The Colts were in helmets and shorts for a light practice before traveling to Buffalo. But Richardson and the first-team offense struggled, going 5-of-12 (41.7%) passing with some drops and would-be sacks given up.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Mine too. Big swing type of guy. Seems to have the tools to succeed. Good coach for him too

Patience and coaching him up is the key. Also  the colts need to sign Jonathan Taylor and run the ball hard. He can live off the play action for the first year. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I follow UF a good bit and typically go to a game every year.  Saw him in Gainesville last year against Utah and he's basically rookie year Josh Allen..  A lot of inaccuracy and bad decision making, but makes the wow plays every game that get you bought in.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Athletic freak that is faster than Allen but is very inconsistent and might not ever be that good. Will depend on how hard he wants to work to develop and how capable he is of changing what needs to be changed. Could see him being Zach Wilson 2.0

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I follow UF a good bit and typically go to a game every year.  Saw him in Gainesville last year against Utah and he's basically rookie year Josh Allen..  A lot of inaccuracy and bad decision making, but makes the wow plays every game that get you bought in.  

Thats why I like him. Drafting a QB that high you are going to get one of two guys

Polished player, great skill set, great leadership - Luck, Lawrence, but also guys like Darnold and Mayfield

Guy with incredible gifts but erratic and relies too much on athleticism - Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, RG3

With Young and Stroud gone the Colts had to take Richardson. He might flop, but its worth the risk IMO

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Thats why I like him. Drafting a QB that high you are going to get one of two guys

Polished player, great skill set, great leadership - Luck, Lawrence, but also guys like Darnold and Mayfield

Guy with incredible gifts but erratic and relies too much on athleticism - Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, RG3

With Young and Stroud gone the Colts had to take Richardson. He might flop, but its worth the risk IMO

and J.P. Losman 😂

48 minutes ago, Lost said:

He started one year in the NCAA and was sporatic passer at best that said Florida isn't thriving with elite WR either. Yet with his size and measurables he could be another Cam Newton on the upside, on the downside Marcus Mariotta. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I saw him just a few times when he played Alabama.  He is a (imho) more of an athlete than a QB. At least this is what I thought when watching him. I have a couple of friends that are Florida Fans. They were very high on him at first but trusted him less as time passed. 

That said, for all I know he will be great.

33 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Of course. Its not fool proof, but Darnold was that cant miss perfect prospect and hes on his 3rd team

That's because the equation for a QB is incredibly difficult to solve, and its misunderstood.  People get caught up in "Pretty technique" and "Athleticism", but struggle to grade IMO the most important part of a QB - his mental ability.  Wonderlik is a joke, so we dont have any sort of really good measure for the person's ability to digest information real time and make a decision.

A QB has the impact in a play for about 3-4 seconds.  I'd say 50% of that impact is completely mental - little athleticism or technique physically impacts 50% of the outcome of the QBs role in a play.  The other 50% is split between pre throw physicals (ability to take the snap, drop back, work the pocket, scramble), and the throw itself (technique, velocity, accuracy).

Darnold had beautiful technique, and decent physicals.  However, he couldnt process the game well enough to utilize those fundamentals.

Richardson has incredible physicals.  However, I haven't seen him read defenses in a way that he can be an upper echelon QB.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.