Is Gabe Davis a trade candidate?

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, again, I think that's what the Bills are trying to do.

But it's also what opposing defense's want the Bills to do.

Fair enough... Allen did have a QB rating of 130 when targeting Knox last year, and 140 when targeting Cook. 

We'll see what happens to that rating when the targets go up for one, or both of them this year.

• 1 month later...

This needs to be figured out real freaking quick.  

Josh and Diggs are lighting up Sauce but Davis is near invisible?

This makes no sense.  

Our WR 2 can’t be a ghost.  

Our 2nd best weapon cannot be a rookie TE. 

It just can’t.  I didn’t expect much Monday v the Jets but Diggs doing that and Gabe being invisible despite 46 drop backs is stunning.  

And it can’t be argued it’s gotta be Josh - he found John Brown and Manny Sanders no problem.  Beasley had 70 plus catches a year.

Again, Diggs with all the attention he gets, lit that secondary up.  Davis most talked about play was a poor route on INT 3.    

Among things different between 2021 and 2022 to now is full time Gabe Davis and all the numbers throwing to him are horrendous.  

I love Gabe.  But this is honestly a much bigger deal then figuring out a good run game.  

• 1 month later...

Soooooo... would you guys trade Davis for a 2nd-4th round draft pick right now?

That's somewhere in the range of what he'd fetch. Take a look at the Chase Claypool trade to the Bears.

And I think this season is proving more and more we won't keep him. He doesn't fit in our new offense. We're no longer a down the field passing team... the Bills require WRs who win at the LOS for short, quick gains.

Fortunately or unfortunately, that's our new offense.

Gabe doesn't fit.

28 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Soooooo... would you guys trade Davis for a 2nd-4th round draft pick right now?

That's somewhere in the range of what he'd fetch. Take a look at the Chase Claypool trade to the Bears.

And I think this season is proving more and more we won't keep him. He doesn't fit in our new offense. We're no longer a down the field passing team... the Bills require WRs who win at the LOS for short, quick gains.

Fortunately or unfortunately, that's our new offense.

Gabe doesn't fit.

There is no way you are getting a 2nd for Gabe. No chance in hell. And based on what he might get in FA I'm not taking a 4th because I'd get that anyway as a comp pick (although a year later). So basically it comes down to "if someone offered you a 3rd would you do it?" And yes, I would.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no way you are getting a 2nd for Gabe. No chance in hell. And based on what he might get in FA I'm not taking a 4th because I'd get that anyway as a comp pick (although a year later). So basically it comes down to "if someone offered you a 3rd would you do it?" And yes, I would.

That's not an outlandish range from 2-4, but I agree a 2nd is unlikely. 

Why would we get a 4th rather than a 3rd as a comp pick for Gabe? Explain that formula.

Regardless, I could see it as addition by subtraction. Shakir flashes when he gets opportunities. Same with Harty. A 4th this year is more valuable than a 4th next year.

37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's not an outlandish range from 2-4, but I agree a 2nd is unlikely. 

Why would we get a 4th rather than a 3rd as a comp pick for Gabe? Explain that formula.

Regardless, I could see it as addition by subtraction. Shakir flashes when he gets opportunities. Same with Harty. A 4th this year is more valuable than a 4th next year.

Just based on likely contract value and what that meant last year. If he ends up signing for $13m AAV or thereabouts he is at the bottom end of the 4th round range based on the projections (which are pretty accurate the past 3 years). If the projection is right the lowest value contract that will attract a 3rd from last year's FA class is Mike McGlinchey who signed for $17.5m

My thing with Shakir is most of his plays and certainly most of his best plays are still from the slot. I remain very sceptical he can play outside (only 24% of his total offensive snaps so far this season are split wide). The next man up outside to my mind is Sherfield. 

Honestly, the more I see from Gabe Davis the more I think he "should" be shipped out.

He's a luxury high end WR3 on a team that can move the ball.  One of the better non-WR1 big play WR's in the league.

But we can't move the ball consistently, because he's the WR2 out there.  It's not all his fault, we obviously have other issues.. but he has a horrible skillset as WR2 for this new NFL where teams just sit back taking away deep stuff and force you to move the ball in the short/intermediate, without making mistakes.  

If we can keep him as WR3, great... but if he's needed as piece to upgrade elsewhere..  I'm beyond ok moving him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just based on likely contract value and what that meant last year. If he ends up signing for $13m AAV or thereabouts he is at the bottom end of the 4th round range based on the projections (which are pretty accurate the past 3 years). If the projection is right the lowest value contract that will attract a 3rd from last year's FA class is Mike McGlinchey who signed for $17.5m

My thing with Shakir is most of his plays and certainly most of his best plays are still from the slot. I remain very sceptical he can play outside (only 24% of his total offensive snaps so far this season are split wide). The next man up outside to my mind is Sherfield. 

You really think Gabe is going to get less than $15m AAV?

3 hours ago, juno999 said:

I don't think Beane trades him.  I believe it's the Edmunds situation again.  He leaves via free agency and Bills get a comp pick.  Free agent market for WRs has gone crazy the last few years.  Could be a decent pick.  

Absolutely this.

Should be a 3rd round pick (or a 4th at worst) unless Beane murders the comp pick formula. Hopefully we see a repeat of the Jaguars throwing stupid money at non top tier WRs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.