Sean Payton not a fan of the Jets off-season

The 9 Isles

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think Sean Payton and Nathaniel Hackett are gonna be "besties" any time soon.

It's hard not to lose a bit of respect for Payton over these statements. Regardless of how valid his opinions may be, he's taking a real swipe at Hackett's livelihood here. I get 'trash talking,' and all of that (they are week five opponents, after all), but publicly trashing a previous regime really seems to cross the line of professionalism. I'm not sure I've ever seen a HC act in such a way.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it is a bit of a mirror like situation, the Broncos did everything Wilson wanted and this year the Jets have been bowing to every one of Rogers whims.

Deja vue all over again ... the Broncos also were supposedly only a QB away from being a SB contender.

10 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

“It doesn’t happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed,” Payton told Bell. “And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much ***** time trying to win the offseason — the P.R., the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff.”

That won’t happen this year. Payton is taking a page from the Costanza playbook for 2023.

“Everything I heard about last season, we’re doing the opposite,” Payton said.

In explaining the decision to just focus on the work, Payton took a backhanded shot at Hackett’s new team in New York.

“We’re not doing any of that,” Payton said. “The Jets did that this year. You watch. Hard Knocks, all of it. I can see it coming.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-payton-nathaniel-hacketts-performance-in-2022-might-have-been-among-the-worst-ever

I don’t love Payton but hearing hip rip Denver, Hackett and NYJ is hilarious.  Peak NFL off-season right here

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The truth hurts

That’s not the point.  There is a time and a place for the truth to be spoken. In this case, in front of the media was neither. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eball said:

When is the last time Sean Payton won anything?

Asking for a friend…

….but, what was his winning percentage for his first five years with a franchise QB in his prime in road Championship games? 

I will now do the proper thing, and apologize. 

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

That’s not the point.  There is a time and a place for the truth to be spoken. In this case, in front of the media was neither. 

Y'all want Stef Diggs to come out and address his situation to everyone, but want Payton to stay behind closed doors? Payton wants to know why Hackett had the job in the first place? Pundits get on TV and question Mike McCarthy all the time

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Y'all want Stef Diggs to come out and address his situation to everyone, but want Payton to stay behind closed doors? Payton wants to know why Hackett had the job in the first place? Pundits get on TV and question Mike McCarthy all the time

You paint with a very broad brush!

And that’s an odd comparison, primarily because they’re nothing alike in any way, shape or form. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So weird to just go after Hackett and the Jets. Like, who cares dude.

Sometimes in sport you get these “guru’s” who get by on convincing everybody why their the smartest guy in the room rather than just being the smartest guy in the room.

In my experience I know a lot of coaches like this who do exceptional on the junior level, but fall short at the Olympics. Being great at that level requires full focus on you being great rather than putting down others to create a pseudo-talent gap. 

Not surprising this is who Payton is after falling short with such a prolific passer for so long. 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Payton wants to know why Hackett had the job in the first place? 

Sure, we all do. But to question it in the media like that is in pretty poor taste. 

"There was some things that happened in the past that we are going to do differently." Thats it. 

If the Brocos really struggle these comments are going to be very very hard to ignore 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JoeF said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35603610/how-saints-free-80m-get-2023-salary-cap

The Saints were in cap hell the last 4 or 5 years he was there....The Jets may not live up to the hype but him trying to lecture anyone on not trying to win the off-season is a joke.

and would’ve been in the Super Bowl (again) if not for that PI no call vs the rams… 

28 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Not sure I'd want our coach to make these comments but characters and comments like this make the NFL more interesting. 

yea, not a swipe i would take but I think a little extra color makes the soap opera we all watch more lively. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

and would’ve been in the Super Bowl (again) if not for that PI no call vs the rams… 

yea, not a swipe i would take but I think a little extra color makes the soap opera we all watch more lively. 

Very true on the Super Bowl No Saint...it all ebbs and flows...

Not speculating on what he was thinking when he said this - but there's a difference between acquiring names and acquiring players....he would probably argue that winning the offseason is acquiring players for value...rather than big splashes

37 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Sure, we all do. But to question it in the media like that is in pretty poor taste. 

"There was some things that happened in the past that we are going to do differently." Thats it. 

If the Brocos really struggle these comments are going to be very very hard to ignore 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Payton isn’t a talking head, he’s leading an NFL team of grown men. There’s no real need for him to have all the answers on why Hackett was hired. It’s not in his job description to dive into that question. Especially not publicly. 

It does no good other than to inflate his own ego. 

Officially rooting against the Broncos. What an ash clown. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

On your first point, meh. If Norwood hooks it left. If Allen had Andy Reid. If there was PI called. Ultimately when the book closes those things didn’t happen and the results are the results. There is no trophy for “what ifs”. Ultimately Payton didn’t get the job done. 

On your second point, the soap opera is part of the fun in sports I totally agree. Finding Sean Payton a total ash hat is part of the fun of the league. I think he’s a blow hard. The league is more fun with guys to hate and guys to love. So keep it coming Sean, I want to keep chastising you on the internet in my spare time! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.