Hines out for the year

17islongenough

15 hours ago, JMM said:

We will be fine. He was on the bubble this year frankly. RB room is loaded, best shape in years. We have Harty and Shakir as returnees. Bad break, but not a big blow as far as I'm concerned 

Loaded with whom?  Hines was the only guy on our offense that had any real speed.  Now he’s gone.  Our lack of speed will be our crutch this year and I blame Beane for not doing anything about it. 

1 hour ago, kjack151 said:

Loaded with whom?  Hines was the only guy on our offense that had any real speed.  Now he’s gone.  Our lack of speed will be our crutch this year and I blame Beane for not doing anything about it. 

Just about everybody on that off runs 4.4 some thing and harty is super fast

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kjack151 said:

Cook’s not fast all of a sudden (4.42)? Harty (4.48)? Hell Sherfield ran a 4.45. What is “real speed”?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

it's a damn shame for the kid and for us. Now McD/Dorsey will have to find someone else to absorb his 6 carries. We ruined his career.

What you might miss is his two kickoff returns for td, but the league is doing everything they can to deemphasize that part of the game.

Seems to me if it's an off-the-field injury, a professional sports organization should protect its cap situation. An athlete can and should purchase disability or loss of value insurance for just such a situation.

Edited by Commish
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

If insurance covers his salary and the Bills clear cap space, it's a win-win (or the best of a bad situation).

On a bigger note, I now fear that torn ACL for running back in his late 20s may be tough to come back from.

EDIT: He turns 27 this fall. I thought he was a bit older. I hope he can bounce back and get another 2-year contract or something next year.

Edited by Nephilim17

16 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

That seems like incredibly stupid design.

From the point of view of catching cleats and potentially twisting lower legs, yeah

Apparently it has some advantages for retaining the rubber pellet fill better and providing a faster surface.

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Cook’s not fast all of a sudden (4.42)? Harty (4.48)? Hell Sherfield ran a 4.45. What is “real speed”?

None of them are as fast as Nyheim Hines recorded time of 4.38.

On the other hand, we all know that the times in the Pajama Olympics can depend upon a lot of factors, and is only a rough gauge of actual playing speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah a Jet-ski is not a canoe, @Beck Water.  :lol:

I have one that goes 70 mph with no brakes (unless you are moving at 2-3 mph).   It's permitted to go in ONE direction(left turns like NASCAR) on the body of water I am on because otherwise people would continue to run into and kill each other.     Nyheim's still happen though because people think they are just getting on an amusement park ride.  

I own Jet skis down in Fort Lauderdale.  Ride them in the ocean and the intercoastal.  Its not hard to ride them safely.  It feels fast going 30-35mph.  No need to be crazy on them.  

On 7/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, billsbackto81 said:

With all the new rules neutering the return game is it really that crucial?

The dude scored TWO kickoff TDs in the same game! Ans he was a constant threat before that.

But yeah, with a stacked RB room, and less kickoffs, it's not THAT bad... but it sure is for him. 

If someone can find a quick cure for knee injuries, he is an instant multi-millionaire!

Edit: I almost cried on his first kickoff TD on the very first play of the game. What an emotional moment, after what had happed to #3.

Edited by Jerome007

12 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It’s not a stacked RB room. Cook is unproven obviously. Fingers crossed he can handle a larger percentage of carries. Harris is injury prone. Murray is washed.

Its the home team bias. Folks always think our whatever room is stacked. Reality is we have a 2nd rounder that is unproven and still learning and two guys making essentially league minimum. Bills fans will call it stacked while non-Bills fans would put in the lower third of the league. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

But it’s perfectly fine to have a below par backfield… specifically when you got a Josh Allen at QB…. Can’t say the same for the WR position though. 

Agreed. Look around the league - I would not call any room "stacked". There are a handful of elite backs and everyone else. That is why the Hines money was so odd to me. We actually paid him more than Harris and Murray combined. And if the money was for a returner that is even more scary to value that over help for JA. I would of let him walk and used that money on a WR. Too late now and we are eating that money.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.