Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

dont bonuses get taxed at a different rate than salary

That's a good point. Likely paying all NYS tax on the bonus. But with only 1 florida game this year, I'd expect the interest I could make over the 8 months would make that 1/17th no taxed amount back pretty easily.

Now, if you played for Miami, you would WANT the bonus instead of paying taxes for playing against the Bills, Jets, etc.

Or if you are talking about the withholding being different (40%), that is more an HR policy than a hard rule to protect recipients from owing unexpected tax amounts. So likely not being withheld like that in these cases since the pay and structure and even employment are all so different.

Bonuses arent ultimately taxed any differently than regular income. Its just the way your employer withholds it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

He restructured with the promise they were going to sign another weapon. I’m with Stef if that is true.

And if true, all the anger directed at Diggs should be balanced with that concept he wanted another receiver who'd take targets from him.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not how restructures work tho. In the restructures that convert salary to bonus, the team can do it automatically without player permission since it is benefiting the player. It puts their entire season's salary in their pocket in May. They promised him nothing when they cut him the check.

I understand but you don't think Diggs asked what the plans were going to be with the extra cap space?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Wow! 
Only one-hundred sixty pages of repetitive nonsense? 

How about getting on the stick folks, you need to get this up to Zombie thread status, and that’s 300 pages of repetitive nonsense, 😂

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I understand but you don't think Diggs asked what the plans were going to be with the extra cap space?

What makes you think he even had the chance?

Beane decides to convert. Pegula makes sure he has the cash on hand. The Bills business office cuts a check, or direct deposit/ACH, or however the players get paid. End of story.

Also, would an NFL GM, who all keep their cards close to their vest because they have multiple irons in the fire on different deals, give a player a bunch of inside info on the teams' plans, so the player can go leak it in a tweet without thinking?

What does that conversation even look like in your head?

edit: Dont get me wrong, I could understand that Diggs might be frustrated with the lack of WR talent brought in to help him. But I dont think he was made any promises, or even had much of a discussion, when he was restructured.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

dont bonuses get taxed at a different rate than salary

Speaking from personal experience, no. You may have more withheld from your paycheck for bonuses, but when it's time for tax returns you will get back anything over what should have been withheld. I'm guessing when it comes to NFL payouts it is probably a lot more complicated but either way your final gross income has an exact tax rate that doesn't change regardless of how the income was made.

Anyways I don't think it matters. Unless I'm missing something, I'm almost positive NFL players can't stop a team from executing a restructure that is written into their contract. Because the terms of the contract don't change at all, it's just a tool to modify how the team is allocating salary towards their salary cap year over year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Well this is a new one. Per Carton Diggs frustrated about team not landing D-Hop. I guess when Allen said it was not football related it could be plausible but Diggs had to know team is up against the cap. So even if he thought money being freed up was going to be used to go after Hopkins and take some pressure off teams doubling him there was a chance it might not happen regardless.

Stefon Diggs restructured his contract on March 15, just a couple days into free agency.

DeAndre Hopkins did not get released by the Cardinals until May 26.

So I find it very unlikely Diggs only agreed to rework his deal on the condition the Bills landed D-Hop, since he wasn't even technically available for another two months.  Most of the pre-draft rumors were that Hopkins might be available for a draft pick and that Arizona would be eating most of the salary.

If Diggs was simply wanting a "weapon" on offense, I have no idea who he was possibly looking at.  That is a very vague request, and the WR options in free agency were absolutely terrible this year.  The popular names getting thrown around on this website were Jacobi Meyers and Parris Campbell for crying out loud.  I don't know how those guys are better than Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty.

The cap space cleared from Diggs' restructure is only $5.4 million.  The rumor floating around is that Hopkins is looking for roughly the same as Odell Beckham, who signed for $15 million.  So if this rumor is true, then instead of being mad at the Bills, Diggs should be on the phone with Hopkins and trying to convince him into taking less.  Or he can take a paycut (instead of a contract restructure).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Stefon Diggs restructured his contract on March 15, just a couple days into free agency.

Great point with the timing.

Although he didnt need to agree to any restructure. But playing along with the story that he somehow had a conversation with Beane at the time of the restructure... that was in March, we're assuming Diggs made it known he wants other pass catchers to take the heat off. The Bills then use their 1st pick on a pass catcher, and their 2nd pick on protecting Josh. So what could he be mad about?

Seems more and more like his beef is what some of us have been saying all along: When the going gets tough, and the offense needs a spark, Dorsey and Josh should know to go to Diggs. Not call/throw 3 deep, low percentage passes outside to Davis. Pretty simple.

40 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The cap space cleared from Diggs' restructure is only $5.4 million.  The rumor floating around is that Hopkins is looking for roughly the same as Odell Beckham, who signed for $15 million.  So if this rumor is true, then instead of being mad at the Bills, Diggs should be on the phone with Hopkins and trying to convince him into taking less.  Or he can take a paycut (instead of a contract restructure).

Did you know that Odell Beckham is only costing $3.9m this season on the Ravens cap?

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

So I find it very unlikely Diggs only agreed to rework his deal on the condition the Bills landed D-Hop, since he wasn't even technically available for another two months.  Most of the pre-draft rumors were that Hopkins might be available for a draft pick and that Arizona would be eating most of the salary.

If Diggs was simply wanting a "weapon" on offense, I have no idea who he was possibly looking at.  That is a very vague request, and the WR options in free agency were absolutely terrible this year.  The popular names getting thrown around on this website were Jacobi Meyers and Parris Campbell for crying out loud.  I don't know how those guys are better than Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty.

There was trade rumors involving DHop. Bills needed cap room to try and negotiate

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Speaking from personal experience, no. You may have more withheld from your paycheck for bonuses, but when it's time for tax returns you will get back anything over what should have been withheld. I'm guessing when it comes to NFL payouts it is probably a lot more complicated but either way your final gross income has an exact tax rate that doesn't change regardless of how the income was made.

Anyways I don't think it matters. Unless I'm missing something, I'm almost positive NFL players can't stop a team from executing a restructure that is written into their contract. Because the terms of the contract don't change at all, it's just a tool to modify how the team is allocating salary towards their salary cap year over year.

Basically correct, to my understanding; the question is whether it's a simple restructure or not (ie within the duration of the current contract, or adding void years).  Diggs was within the duration of the current contract, so it apparently doesn't require player approval.

Regarding bonuses: There are probably more taxes on a player bonus.  Players get paid weekly during the season according to where they're playing.  Home games for the Bills get NYS taxes.  Away games get the tax rate of that state.  So 1/18 of NJ and DC (about the same as NYS), MA (5%), Ohio (4%), Penn (3%), MO (4.95%), CA (12.3%) and Florida (0%) [and I have no idea how London gets handled]. 

But, the players financial advisers would say that any additional state taxes get off-set by the net present value of having an immediate lump sum to invest and start earning with - getting that lump sum ought to be a benefit.

22 hours ago, uticaclub said:

No not at all, Diggs was most likely not even in touch with Beane or the team about this at all.  The restructure is built into their contract, and they know they are coming and its the GM who will be doing it.  Bills entered the offseason over the cap, everyone knew restructures were happening before we even pursued anyone.  

No disrespect, I know you are just trying to find ways to understand something we don't know the whole story on, but the odds of this are at 0%.  I can assure you the players do not have any say in this and are not consulted.  Fans tend to think players have all this insight, knowledge, input, influence, etc when it comes to GM decisions, who they target in FA or draft, etc.  It is just not the case at all, GM's do not discuss these matters with them.

That doesn't stop players from wanting or even trying to recruit players when they know they are available, but this idea that Diggs was told what the cap space was going to be used for and then upset when it didn't happen is just not based on how things actually happen or work.

16 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

There was trade rumors involving DHop. Bills needed cap room to try and negotiate

See my post above

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No not at all, Diggs was most likely not even in touch with Beane or the team about this at all.  The restructure is built into their contract, and they know they are coming and its the GM who will be doing it.  Bills entered the offseason over the cap, everyone knew restructures were happening before we even pursued anyone.  

No disrespect, I know you are just trying to find ways to understand something we don't know the whole story on, but the odds of this are at 0%.  I can assure you the players do not have any say in this and are not consulted.  Fans tend to think players have all this insight, knowledge, input, influence, etc when it comes to GM decisions, who they target in FA or draft, etc.  It is just not the case at all, GM's do not discuss these matters with them.

That doesn't stop players from wanting or even trying to recruit players when they know they are available, but this idea that Diggs was told what the cap space was going to be used for and then upset when it didn't happen is just not based on how things actually happen or work.

See my post above

While I'm not saying it's what happened but the chance is higher than 0. Diggs is a team captain, you don't think he made his desires known, the front office gave him some lip service and now he is pissed and feels disrespected. 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:42 PM, BillsVet said:

And if true, all the anger directed at Diggs should be balanced with that concept he wanted another receiver who'd take targets from him.    

No it doesn't. The entire synopsis is that when Diggs doesn't get what he wants he causes a scene like a toddler. This isn't how good teammates behave. It just isn't. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

See my post above

This^^^^

10 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

While I'm not saying it's what happened but the chance is higher than 0. Diggs is a team captain, you don't think he made his desires known, the front office gave him some lip service and now he is pissed and feels disrespected. 

He is a WR, not a QB. If he wants to be consulted like a QB he should either 1. learn throw a football or 2. go to a team with a much worse QB situation where he can be the focal point of all things from the hiring of the OC to how the GM spends their money in FA.....

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

No it doesn't. The entire synopsis is that when Diggs doesn't get what he wants he causes a scene like a toddler. This isn't how good teammates behave. It just isn't. 

This^^^^

He is a WR, not a QB. If he wants to be consulted like a QB he should either 1. learn throw a football or 2. go to a team with a much worse QB situation where he can be the focal point of all things from the hiring of the OC to how the GM spends their money in FA.....

Diggs isn't happy with the status quo, and he knows it's not Championship Caliber. Its good to see he still cares after getting paid. The fact that Gabe Davis is still penciled in as the WR2 should fire up anyone that cares. 

Just now, uticaclub said:

Diggs isn't happy with the status quo, and he knows it's not Championship Caliber. Its good to see he still cares after getting paid. The fact that Gabe Davis is still penciled in as the WR2 should fire up anyone that cares. 

I don't know why this is parroted as gospel all the time. It maybe works if you are competing for the Monsignor Martin League Championship, but it basically stops there. 

Diggs behavior is something teams trying to win a World Championship generally try and keep out of their locker room, not something they embrace. Eventually that sort of attitude starts to weigh heavier on the team than his physical gifts. It happens all the time across all sorts of professional and Olympic sports. 

Being correct isn't, and has never ever been, a viable excuse for being a bad teammate. 

Yet the Bills are still getting love. What is shocking is that the Lions are on the list.

Darren Rovell on Twitter: "Most bet on teams to win the Super Bowl, by money %, at @betmgm: 1. Bills, 15.7% (8/1) 2. Eagles, 9.3% (7/1) 3. Bengals, 8.9% (9/1) 4. Lions, 7.5% (20/1) 5. 49ers, 7.3% (10/1)" / Twitter

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.