Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah it's worth a lower draft pick.

If teams had equal odds (or even close to equal odds) to win the Super Bowl, by simply making the playoffs, then you would see a large variety of teams winning the Super Bowl.

Instead, five teams have won 13 of the last 20 Super Bowl's. 

Because there is a formula to Super Bowl teams.

And just making the playoffs is not the formula. 

So what’s this magic  “ formula” ?  It appears at first glance to be a QB named Tom Brady , followed by a Roethlisberger , or one with a surname of “ Manning”. Anything else ? 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I think I would too.

However, the flip side to that is... As a GM and Head Coach, you have to wonder how long you can let a HOF'er sit before the fans uproar so loud (via loss of ticket sales as well as verbally), that you yourself are on the hot seat.

I hope I would stick to my guns and do the right thing, the job I was hired to do. I’d rather be fired for doing the right thing than keep my job by being bad at it. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

So what’s this magic  “ formula” ?  It appears at first glance to be a QB named Tom Brady , followed by a Roethlisberger , or one with a surname of “ Manning”. Anything else ? 

SHHHH! Don’t give away trade secrets! We are just now decoding this Top Secret message. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Offense.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Schefter today said that behind the scenes Mahomes wants a new contract.

If he wants one they'll have to give him one. When the best player in your franchise's history says jump you say how high.

Again, it's not just between us and the Chiefs. The Chiefs being handcuffed worse than us just means it's less likely they'll get him than us.

Those 4 teams may be who's in it now as far as the talking heads now. But I doubt they're the only 4 who are involved right now and especially when everything's said and done. 

As you said, this will probably be a long process. And I'm willing to bet neither of us get him. Though I'm hopeful it is us.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Can’t really let him go to the Chiefs, I realize the Bills cap situation is tight but that would be a failure on the Bills end IMO. 

The failure would be throwing money at Hopkins in order to prevent the Chiefs from adding another weapon. Of course, the Bills wouldn’t do it for that reason alone, but it seems a lot of fans have devolved to that mindset.

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'd re-evaluate what you think you "know".

I am not a contrarian, I am a realist. There are people who agree with me, and to them I would be a conformist. I am only a contrarian to you (and other homers) because I do not prescribe to what you think is true.. 

I love when people who are obvious pessimists say they’re “realists.” We’re talking about an excellent football team and all you can talk about is the bad, and what could go wrong. 

Thats not being a realist, that’s being a pessimist. It’s the actual definition. 

An actual realist can see the good too, which there is a lot of. Like he said, you may need to re-evaluate. Throw in re-evaluating what a realist is as well. You sir, are not it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If he wants one they'll have to give him one. When the best player in your franchise's history says jump you say how high.

Absolutely right....and that's EXACTLY what the Chiefs are going to do and will be filled with happiness while doing it

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I promise, if you do NOT make the playoffs, you will NOT win the Super Bowl. I’ll give you your money back if I’m wrong. 

I do hope you are the best in your industry every day of the year, and your child is always valedictorian. 

I’d love a Super Bowl. I don’t NEED a Super Bowl. We have a good and full life, and I enjoy watching our Bills on most weekends during the season.  The deeper they run in the playoffs, the more I enjoy it. But even if you DO win it all, you get ready for a new season. It’s not just about the moment of winning. For me I can enjoy going thru the seasons without having to be an obsessive malcontent. I do this for FUN. 

This is such a great perspective about sports! Unfortunately, this is most likely a minority viewpoint among fans. Bragging rights as fans of an organization is probably top on the list. And it’s tough to have bragging rights without a title. Each year it doesn’t happen it’ll be more difficult to claim they’re even an elite team. Gotta win one. 

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I've always wondered what would happen if a HOF QB (like Brady or Manning or Mahomes) pulled a power move, asking for something crazy like $100M per season and not playing until they get it.

What would the Chiefs do? You're fresh off of a Super Bowl and Mahomes is in his prime, and you let him sit? Waste a year (or more if he's stubborn) of his prime?

QB's seem to be the least likely players to use their power.

They’d be stupid to price themselves out of the market that way.  Mahomes probably gained $20 million a year in additional endorsement revenue by winning the Super Bowl.  Why would he jam up his own franchise for an extra $5,000,000 and cost himself a Creed Humphrey which would both hurt his chances at another championship and expose him to potential injury?

• Haha (+1) 1

For someone who signed a 10 year $450M contract (Mahomes) not too long ago, I am surprised he’s grumbling about a new contract already. When you have that much money coming your way, is more going to move the needle in your life? Your kids and their kids and their kids are already set for life if used wisely. 

9 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This is such a great perspective about sports! Unfortunately, this is most likely a minority viewpoint among fans. Bragging rights as fans of an organization is probably top on the list. And it’s tough to have bragging rights without a title. Each year it doesn’t happen it’ll be more difficult to claim they’re even an elite team. Gotta win one. 

Yeah, that would be nice, but how does it change your life? What happens when you can’t successfully defend the title? Is it back to complete despair? 

I’m not worried about bragging rights with anyone. I do this because I enjoy the Bills. It’s really pretty simple for me, but I have evolved over time. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

For someone who signed a 10 year $450M contract (Mahomes) not too long ago, I am surprised he’s grumbling about a new contract already. When you have that much money coming your way, is more going to move the needle in your life? Your kids and their kids and their kids are already set for life if used wisely. 

He’s literally said the exact opposite.  Guys like Mike Florio simply try to speak it into existence.

https://theathletic.com/4552865/2023/05/25/patrick-mahomes-priorities-legacy-rings/

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

They’d be stupid to price themselves out of the market that way.  Mahomes probably gained $20 million a year in additional endorsement revenue by winning the Super Bowl.  Why would he jam up his own franchise for an extra $5,000,000 and cost himself a Creed Humphrey which would both hurt his chances at another championship and expose him to potential injury?

Why would Leveon Bell turn down a great contract from the Steelers, sit out nearly the entire year, then take less from the Jets?

Players just do dumb things sometimes.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Why would Leveon Bell turn down a great contract from the Steelers, sit out nearly the entire year, then take less from the Jets?

Players just do dumb things sometimes.

Bell wanted a longer contract.  Mahomes has 12 years.

Suddenly everyone is remembering what I can’t forget: the summer of JJ Watt aka the gaslighting saga. We’ve seen this before people. No preorders. Expect him to chase the money. He would have already taken less money already if it was a ring he was after. 

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW (perhaps not much)  a random twitter poster claims to have a friend in Bills organization who says it’s at the 1 yard line and everyone around the facility expects him to be a Bill within the next few days.

Take that with a large grain of salt….unless HappyDays can corroborate

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.