Bills Sign Former First Rounder Shane Ray (now released with injury settlement)

aristocrat

48 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

14 career sacks in 4 seasons. Hasn't played since 2018. Time to wait and see 

He hasn't played in the NFL since 2018.

Since then he's played parts of two seasons in the CFL.

Possible camp body... zero expectations from over here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Perhaps Beane sees this as the DE he wanted to add?

Rather funny…we signed 2 players Von played with

I know you probably don't want to hear it, but I really think between the waiver claim for Kameron Cline and the Shane Ray signing - that's it for DE. 

At his presser yesterday when asked about Shane Ray, Beane said:

"You know, we didn't hit on any DE's after the Draft as far as guys to sign. And that's why we were excited to get the kid Kameron Cline last week that we claimed from Indy. And then you know we probably, at some point may look to add a DE between now and the start of Camp. And so we're just instead of doing a workout, here's a guy out there, let's bring him in here for a couple days, again test his knowledge, test his skill set, see where he's at, and um ya know, we call it kicking the tires"

So to review, he said he tried to get something done with at the DE position, but couldn't. Whether he's talking about UFA's or UDFA's is unclear. But he first claimed Kameron Cline. He said he wanted to add "a" DE between now and the start of Camp (implying one more). Then he "kicked the tires" on Shane Ray and liked what he saw enough to sign him. 

That's two signings at the position in the past week or so at DE. Combined with what he already have, I would be shocked if we added another.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Better not be.

This guy is a walking injury.

You're not happy with how Beane chose to address a position in Free Agency or the Draft? This is my shocked face.

We started the Offseason 18.5m over the cap with 24 FA's to fill, plus come up with money for Draft picks, plus Practice Squad, plus spending money for emergencies during the season. He's done a great job doing what he's done.

If you were expecting "I've heard of him!" superstars across the board - you were deluding yourself and letting yourself down by getting crazy expectations.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I know you probably don't want to hear it, but I really think between the waiver claim for Kameron Cline and the Shane Ray signing - that's it for DE. 

At his presser yesterday when asked about Shane Ray, Beane said:

"You know, we didn't hit on any DE's after the Draft as far as guys to sign. And that's why we were excited to get the kid Kameron Cline last week that we claimed from Indy. And then you know we probably, at some point may look to add a DE between now and the start of Camp. And so we're just instead of doing a workout, here's a guy out there, let's bring him in here for a couple days, again test his knowledge, test his skill set, see where he's at, and um ya know, we call it kicking the tires"

So to review, he said he tried to get something done with multiple DE's and couldn't get a deal done for the price he felt comfortable paying at this point. So he first claimed Kameron Cline. He said he wanted to add "a" DE between now and the start of Camp (implying one more). Then he "kicked the tires" on Shane Ray and liked what he saw enough to sign him. 

That's two signings at the position in the past week or so at DE. Combined with what he already have, I would be shocked if we added another.

You're not happy with how Beane chose to address a position in Free Agency or the Draft? This is my shocked face.

We started the Offseason 18.5m over the cap with 24 FA's to fill, plus come up with money for Draft picks, plus Practice Squad, plus spending money for emergencies during the season. He's done a great job doing what he's done.

If you were expecting "I've heard of him!" superstars across the board - you were deluding yourself and letting yourself down by getting crazy expectations.

Crazy expectations? What do you consider crazy expectations?

I want Yannick, but not expecting him. You think Justin Houston is a crazy expectation? Melvin Ingram? We already know our pass rushers aren’t good enough without Von. Von is 34 coming off ACL.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 4

Poor guy  is not living the NFL dream he expected when he was drafted in the first round.

2015 to 2016.  Career starts out okay.  Plays in 30 games his first two seasons.  Collects 68 tackles, 12 sacks and scores a TD (on the recovery of a Von-forced fumble).  Wins Super Bowl.  

2017 to 2018.  A recurring wrist injury limits his playing time and effectiveness.  Spends part of these years on IR.

2019.  Signed by Baltimore in the offseason but fails to make the final cut.   Doesn't play in 2019.  

2020.  Out of football.  

2021 to 2022.  Plays for the Argonauts.  More injury problems but wins Grey Cup.

The guy has seriously good juju.  In his short career, he's won both the Grey Cup and Lombardi.  I'm guessing Ray was brought in as a favor to Von.  But we might want to keep him as a good luck charm!  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.